Getting in line a NOISY process! Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by massteacher, Sep 28, 2010.

1. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Sep 28, 2010

Any ideas or tips to help kids stay quiet while getting in line? My problem isn't while we are actually walking down the hall, but it's the transition of getting up from the carpet to get to the line, and when we are all ready to go down the hall. They are so chatty, and so hands on! I need a smoother transition to get ready to go because often I have to ask two or three times for the kids to quiet down before we read the poem or am talking to several kids about keeping their hands off. I suppose we should just practice it again during a meeting time. We read a poem before leaving the classroom (hands are hanging at my sides, i'm standing straight and tall, my eyes are straight ahead, i'm ready for the hall)

Ideas? I hope this was clear enough. I've been lesson planning all night so my thought process is a little choppy right now!

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 28, 2010

If my class does it wrong we just make them do it again. This gets old Really fast. Haven't had a problem in a few weeks. We also compliment kids or table groups doing it right. Not just "The Orange team looks awesome," but specific compliments. Like: "The orange team has their eyes forward and their arms folded. Awesome."

4. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Sep 28, 2010

I do the same thing as four square. I lay down my expectations, if they mess it up, everyone goes back and tries again.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2010

I also practice over and over again. We won't leave the room if they're talking. If they talk on the way back to the classroom after specials, we walk the halls. They learn pretty quickly to line up quietly and walk quietly in the halls.

6. Toast

Toast Companion

Sep 28, 2010

I too have them practice over and over again. There have been times that we have had to practice 6 time in a row. I also put a little competition into it. I will say "Boys, quietly line up" if any boys talk, they must sit back down and let the girls line up first. If the boys have to sit back down I will often say something like "Wow! Girls, let's see if you can do it better." And then the girls will smile smugly and line up very quietly.

It works like a charm.

7. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 29, 2010

"We could practice lining up during recess" works wonders.

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 29, 2010

lol I had my kids do this this afternoon before our bathroom break! 99% of them became SO frustrated after the 4th time but still...a child would talk. I remained very calm during all of this and didn't worry that we weren't taking our bathroom break at the "exact" time I had it scheduled. They ended up doing this 7 times! I will continue to do it if it's needed. I'm sure it is because these kids never learn. I guarantee I will be continuing to do this end of May as well....

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2010

Any kid who turns around or talks goes to the back of the line.