Getting in contact with Coordinating Teacher?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by amethyst, Aug 6, 2016.

1. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Aug 6, 2016

I got my field placement for the fall back at the end of April. I emailed both my cooperating teacher and the secretary, who was listed as the initial contact. I have been in touch with the secretary, but I have still never heard back from my cooperating teacher. Should I try calling now? Email again? Should I check with the secretary to make sure her email address is correct? When would you expect to hear from the teacher by? School starts 9/6.

3. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Aug 6, 2016

She is probably still in summer mode. I wouldn't expect to hear back until the week before you are to report.

Caesar753, Leaborb192 and MrsC like this.
  4. msleep

msleep Rookie

Aug 6, 2016

Did you email the teacher in April?
    Maybe you can send another email.
    Not responding to email is rude and disrespectful regardless of summer vacation. I hope for your sake that this is an overlook and not an indication of what you have to look forward to.

5. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Aug 6, 2016

Yes, I emailed the teacher in April. That's why I'm wondering if perhaps the email address could be wrong? It's fine if she doesnt want me to come in until right before school starts, but I would expect her to respond to my email.

6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2016

Anytime you send an email that you actually care about, make sure to mark "read receipt" so you'll be able to tell if/when the person opens and reads it. Otherwise, the email just sits there... untouched for who knows how long? But I wouldn't be surprised if they are in "off" mode and won't really respond until school starts.

7. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Aug 6, 2016

Did you just email the one time in April or have you tried since then?

8. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Aug 6, 2016

I only emailed her the one time.

9. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Aug 6, 2016

Just once in April? I would email her one more time. I get at least 15 emails a day that are work related. She may have read it and intended to respond but got busy and your email got pushed aside.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2016

Many teachers don't check email in summer. It's not rude...it's just how summer goes...I'm sure the CT will be in school mode soon and in touch with the OP. Truthfully, there's not much that needs to be discussed in the summer prior to a fall ST placement. I'm hosting a ST in the fall and while we met briefly at the end of the school year, I probably won't get in touch with her again until right before school starts.

11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2016

Especially since placements can change or students withdraw from ST. Anything really can happen. A friend was supposed to ST in her second placement and then decided the drive was too long and she couldn't do it, so dropped out the 2nd day of class. Then she had to wait another semester to finish. She had plenty of time to decide the commute wasn't great and try to find another, but she waited until the last minute. But yeah, wait until you actually know you'll be working with this person before exerting energy to contact them.
    :)

12. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Aug 6, 2016

I don't think it would hurt to send a quick check-in email, but I wouldn't expect to hear anything back for a couple of weeks until near when in-service starts. April around here is testing time, and teachers do get lots of emails so I would assume it just got lost in the shuffle the first time and not take it personally or as a sign of anything either way. If the secretary is your main contact, I would just get the main info you need from her since you've been in touch.

waterfall likes this.
  13. msleep

msleep Rookie

Aug 6, 2016

You should always check your email in summer. You never know what might come in. I personally believe it would be rude to not email someone back for two months. All you have to do is take 10 seconds to say you will contact them as the return date gets closer.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2016

I check periodically in the summer and it tends to be spam. Official school notifications come thru regular mail for us in the summer so there's no urgent or compelling need to check frequently other than not having to deal in September with a huge list of mostly spam.

15. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2016

It's definitely easier if you have your school email synced to your phone, because then you literally get notified ALL the time! And who isn't connected to -- or within distance -- of their phones at all times. Thought I ended up removing my school email because I was constantly getting flooded with emails. Oi.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2016

Oi is right! Who wants that in the summer! Not me...not when I'm on the beach, at the pool, enjoying friends and family....there's plenty of time for emails but I'm not going to make it my priority in the summer.

Leaborb192 likes this.