Getting hired with a certificate of eligibility in Florida

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Tiffany17, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Tiffany17

Tiffany17 New Member

Dec 6, 2016

My dream has always been to be a teacher. I got my AA in Elementary Education then married my husband who is in the military and moved out of Florida. After moving to North Carolina they wouldn't accept half of my credits so I changed my degree to graduate faster. For the past 3 years I have been in pharmaceutical sales but it is not what I want for a career. I am now back in Florida (YAY!!) and have spoken to the county school board and they told me to put in for my certificate of eligibility for 6-12 English (I am short 2 classes to be certified in this). I should be receiving it soon and would love to start teaching. Have any of you had the luck of getting hired with just this? What can I do to prepare and increase my chances? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
    (Sorry if there are errors, I am on my phone)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  3. Tiffany17

Tiffany17 New Member

Dec 6, 2016

I should have added, I am starting to sub right after Christmas break to try and get my name out there.

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2016

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  5. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Dec 7, 2016

I had a teaching degree from another state and was issued the statement of eligibility. I received my teaching license after I got my first job.

6. Tiffany17

Tiffany17 New Member

Dec 7, 2016

Thank you for your response. I do not have a teaching degree so I am worried about being hired on as an English teacher. I am hoping substituting will help me there. How long have you been waiting on the DOE to give you your statement of eligibility? They have my transcripts and everything they need so I am hoping I will get mine soon, just not sure how long they take.

7. Tiffany17

Tiffany17 New Member

Dec 7, 2016

Thank you for responding. I am worried about not having a teaching degree. I am studying now for the English grades 6-9 test. I have had a few people tell me that Florida needs English teachers so I will get hired with just my statement of eligibility and I have had others tell me that I need to take the test immediately before anyone will look at me. The DOE told me I will be fine with just the statement of eligibility and just to worry about taking the general knowledge test during my first year and then take the subject exam later.

8. MissSfromNY

MissSfromNY Rookie

Feb 26, 2017

I am in this process sort of, as I already had certification in NY, and got reciprocity for that. I have my SOE's (one in Eng, and one in Sped), but it is very unclear what I will need to do once I actually get hired. B/c I am going towards the special end, often those with severe disabilities are performing far lower than the "grade" they are "in". Due to this, it is possible I would be teaching outside of my certiication grade levels. Where I become confused is that if my special ed SOE is for k-12 (as is FL's only special ed option) then why can't I be ready to teach k-12? One school I met with in West Palm said I would likely need to take a k-6 praxis exam. They told me the best way to confirm relocation certiication/what to do questions is to contact certification offices of individual counties (since they are the districts). Bc I am appying to Palm Beach County, I am contacting their certification office. I called the other day, twice, but never got through. I emailed as well, but havent heard back yet. I am going to call again tomorrow. But that would be my advice. Is to call the district's offices and confirm specific scenerios. Floriday deals with this kind of stuff frequently from what I understand so it shouldn't be an out of the norm situation. It is always best to have asnwers when you go to the interviews already so if they ask about certification or SOE's you can already say youve spoken to the county cert office and know the pathway you need to take/when you need to take it by. I think you have a grace period between when youre hired and when you have to take any additional things by.... So see if contacting the counties works!

9. MissSfromNY

MissSfromNY Rookie

Feb 28, 2017

OK so a bit of an update. I called PBC yesterday and spoke to a very nice lady. She explained the isssue with the k-12 ESE. Basically the ESE cert is, unlike NY and some other states, NOT a "content" area. Its more of an "add on" so to speak. So right now I have SOEs Eng 6-12 and ESE k-12. This means that I can teach Eng OR Eng Special Ed. It does NOT mean I can just teach special ed, any grade. I have to have Elementary k-6 cert, to which I can "add on" the ESE k-12... if that makes any sense. I CAN get hired for a position in that regard, without the Elem cert, but would be "out of field" until it is obtained.

10. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Rookie

Apr 27, 2017

My experience may interest/help you or Tiffany (or not :S). That doesn't sound like my recollection of how Florida works but it was some years back.

I had my BA in a non-teaching subject, took the SPED etc tests, and got my letter of eligibility. Then I was hired by a middle school in Broward County to teach SPED and was granted my temporary ESE K-12 license with no other subject area. I then taught in FL for a few years during which time I took a few classes, was granted some credits by virtue of teaching experience and eventually received my 5 year professional certificate, all in ESE K-12. After that, I added Elementary Education through testing but never taught elementary (gen. ed. or SPED).

So, I was hired with no teaching degree fairly quickly (I was working as a teaching assistant) but I guess it depends on your area (at the time they were desperate for SPED teachers).

I won't even go into what NY wanted me to do when they wouldn't accept my FL certification but it basically involved almost a 2nd BA.

Good luck to all!