Getting hired for ELA after school starts in LAUSD

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by alvajen, Aug 2, 2017.

1. alvajen

alvajen Rookie

Aug 2, 2017

I'm a graduate student who did student teaching and earned their ELA credential this year in at a prestigious university in Los Angeles. I've been spending the last four months sending out resumes and going to interviews for LAUSD schools, both traditional and charter. It's only a couple of weeks before school starts, and there is a hiring freeze on ELA at the moment since there are more displaced teachers than vacancies. It's super demoralizing not to have a job, even after twenty interviews, after having my cover letter and resume looked over, and applying to pretty much every opening I can get my hands on. I'm doing all the things that I'm supposed to be doing in this situation, but no luck.

LAUSD's HR department tells me that the hiring freeze won't be lifted until school starts when the currently contracted teachers who were laid off get placed. LAUSD has their norm day five weeks into the semester, and once they do that, they will have a better understanding of their hiring needs. I desperately want to get hired ASAP, but if not, I'll aim for mid-year. However, I'm not sure if this is a common thing to get hired in a district after school begins. Anyone have some advice for me?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2017

Hiring goes on year round because nothing stays the same. Obviously, less hiring goes on after school starts, but it sounds like your situation leaves you two choices: be patient and hope that the numbers support hiring more ELA teachers once the freeze is over, or relocate out of the LAUSD school system.

Rainbowbird likes this.
  4. JMatch123

JMatch123 Rookie

Aug 4, 2017

This is a tough time for schools because August means last minute resignations, retirees, displacements, etc. I truly believe it will be lifted soon and they will probably interview throughout the school year. Can you apply to be a sub at least? Subbing might land a full-time position during the school year.

5. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Aug 6, 2017

Are you applying to any other districts???

6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 6, 2017

Anything can happen. I got laid off after my disastrous first year due to cuts, but was rehired the following November.