Getting hired after school starts?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sweetmel, Aug 12, 2009.

1. sweetmel

sweetmel Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

I was wondering what people know/think about how often teachers are needed after school actually starts (or after the teachers go back next week.) In my area of Texas (a bit southeast of Houston), the districts keep their websites pretty well updated with job openings and there are none available anymore (I confirmed this by calling most of the districts as well.)

I'm an ACP student and my program director had told me before that most ACP students get hired between now and Labor Day... but is it really likely that some teachers will not show up or leave after school starts? It seems unlikely to me because they'd have to break their contracts and that seems like it would be terrible for their future job prospects.

Does anyone have any input on this? I know that it probably varies a lot from year to year and depending on the area, but I was just wondering if y'all had seen this happen much in the past. I'm so sad and worried that I'm not going to get a job this year :(

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

Well, I don't think that's necessarily true about ACP students being hired after school starts because I wasn't an ACP student and I still don't have a job. My point is that there are still non-ACP teachers out there that don't have jobs yet. Not that every single time, a school will choose a non-ACP teacher over an ACP student, but ya know.

I think the schools are playing is safe this year with waiting until their enrollment numbers come in. If enrollment goes up, then they'll hire, but they may already have a fleet of teachers that were pink slipped waiting to re-gain a perm. position.

4. sweetmel

sweetmel Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Oh yes, I definitely agree that they'll hire an experienced teacher or one that went to school for interdisciplinary studies over an ACP student every time. I meant that the director said that most ACP students won't get hired until very late, presumably when they're out of the regular teacher candidates. I'm just wondering how rare an occurrence it is that teaching positions open up after school actually starts.

5. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Aug 12, 2009

I got one second wk. of school last yr. for a maternity leave position. Tchr went into labor earlier than expected. School hired one tchr who got a permanent position 2 days later. Then, they hired another one who was there for a few day and said "I can't do this." Then they called me and said the job was mine if I wanted it--apparently had already checked my references. I accepted. Then, it took them over two more wks. for HR to get around to doing the background check on me "because they were so busy." The kids had lots of different subs in between.

So, yes. It's not uncommon.

6. sweetmel

sweetmel Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Thanks for the reply, SpecialEdTeache, I appreciate it. Here's hoping there are lots of pregnant teachers this year ;)

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 12, 2009

I would say, too, that it's not uncommon for teachers to still be hired once school starts. At my school, there is still an open teaching position. We go back for workshops starting August 31 I went in and did a few things today and asked the secretary about the position. She said aparently there are not any applicants for it. A few years ago, I worked with a couple of teachers who quit mid-year. Last year one quit after two weeks. so, that can happen too.

8. vk4365

vk4365 Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

I was hired as a ACP teacher in June and yes I went up against regular candidates. I had sub at that school for 3 years (before being certified) but still if your ACP don't give up hope-2 of the candidates I beat out wore jeans to the interview---they all knew me (and I know there dress code allowed jeans) but still I wore a suit I was also so familiar with how they taught things that helped. Also, we hired another K teacher last year 3 weeks into school when our numbers went to high. Don't give up hope, ACP candidates are great too.

9. Pezalicious

Pezalicious Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

My husband was hired part time last year in November and he got his second part time job (making him full time) in January. Never give up hope!

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 12, 2009

Sometimes classes split after school starts due to enrollment... most of the districts around here have a max cap on class sizes, especially in elementary grades... they have a rough idea at the end of the year how many kids to expect in a grade, but they don't have an exact number until the kids actually come for registration... if they get a few more kinders or 1sts or whatever than they were expecting, they may have to split classes right before school starts (or right after).

I don't know about people in your situation specifically, but it DOES happen for a variety of reasons... not the ideal situation for anyone, but not unmanageable. :)

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

My district still has over 60 openings listed. I'm sure there will be classes added after students register, which still happens up to Labor Day.

12. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 12, 2009

I certainly hope that teachers get hired after school starts. School started here on Monday and I am without a job. I am very down about this but I still am trying to think postively that I will get hired. Two new vacancies went up today, although minutes after one was posted I emailed the P my resume, etc and he responded that the position had been put on hold temporarily and that he'd repost if it were given a go again. Makes no sense to me but whatever. I know a lot of times here in the South, schools start early but families coming from up North don't necessarily know we start school so early and generally start registering after Labor Day. Numbers usually shoot up then. :) Gotta have faith! :)

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 12, 2009

I think that Emma is right. I know that is true of my district and if the numbers of new families that are enrolling is any indication at my school, there will be new hires in our future. I will keep you all posted!:)

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 12, 2009

At least that P emailed you immediately and did not leave you hanging... I HOPE you hear something very soon!!!:):)

15. MsManda3

MsManda3 Rookie

Aug 14, 2009

Wishing and Hoping

I really, really hope that enrollments skyrocket! I live in Houston, TX and teaching jobs seem to be in high demand...except there doesn't seem to be a ton of jobs available! I have sent countless resumes and cover letters to principals, and have applied to 7 districts. Still, nothing has happened. I was in the running for an interview at two schools, only to have the positions lost to people with more experience.

I graduated college in May, and have been searching for a job since March. I had an interview with the HR department of the school district I student taught in (and happen to know many teachers and principals in the district). The interview went well, and I was placed on a list of potential candidates for principals to contact. I was hoping I would receive calls, but I haven't because schools just haven't had the openings or were able to fill openings with a transfer or someone new right away. I have cried over this too many times, but everyday I continue to scour school district websites and email cover letters and resumes. Maybe my cover letter and resume isn't that great? I'll continue working hard to get a job and if not, I'll sub and get myself out there!

16. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 14, 2009

Have you had the career placement dept at your previous university look over your CL and resume? I did and it really helped me. I've changed my CL since then but I've bascially left my resume alone. Also have you tried hand delivering your resume packet to the P? I've only been able to hand deliver to two P's but it does help them put a face to the resume. I was just telling my mother in law that I wish these P's would realize what efforts I took to put those packets together and drive out to their school (down country windy roads) and give me an interview. Anyway, I hope that you get some interviews soon! Keep your chin up!:hugs:

SCT, thanks again! I hope I hear something from someone soon!

17. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

ya never know. i got my first job in Nov. in a private school after a teacher left to go to a public school job. then the current job I have I also got in Nov. after a teacher retired mid-year. in my school other people have been hired after starting a maternity leave mid-way or after one of the teachers got very ill and didn't return. ya never know.

18. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

Wow! I'm in Louisiana and there are virtually no openings. You must be in south LA, cause up here in the north part of LA the pickin's are slim!

19. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 15, 2009

I was hired once before two weeks after school starts. I applied for a bunch of positions this past week where they're not even going to call people for interviews until next week despite the fact that school starts Aug. 24.

20. MsManda3

MsManda3 Rookie

Aug 19, 2009

Thanks so much everyone!

21. MsFranks

MsFranks Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

Have you found a job yet SweetMel? I also live in the Houston area- actually Fort Bend.. I am still looking for a special ed position. School starts on Monday and I am stressed!

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 22, 2009

We may be hiring soon if our enrollment numbers continue to climb. I will let people know on the forum if this happens. And, BTW - I was hired 2 weeks after school started during my first year of teaching. It was an enrollment increase that caused the job. It is all about supply and demand. Unfortunately, there are still so many great candidates out there looking so competition is still really stiff. All the best. I hope you find something!:)

23. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 22, 2009

I'm not sure what ACP is -

But here many schools are still going by the "20th" day enrollment numbers. Which means that a school can gain a teacher if on the 20th day of school by some formula, they have enough students to add another teacher.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2009

chicagoturtle~ACP=alternative certification program.

25. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 22, 2009

I guess I should have thought a little harder on that one- I've never noticed that abbreviation before and assumed it was something in Texas.

26. sweetmel

sweetmel Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

No, MsFranks, I still don't have a job. And there are just no openings around here at all! And like SCTeachInTX said, the competition is crazy this year. I've applied at 11 school districts (other than HISD and Pasadena, though, they were all suburbs with fairly small districts) and I've only had one interview - and I didn't get that job. There are still some jobs listed on the HISD website but I've called some of those schools and the positions are actually filled and they don't know why they haven't been removed from the website. So... I'm completely disheartened and crossing my fingers that they'll start hiring more in the next couple of weeks. Keep me updated if you (and you too, please, SCTeachInTX) hear anything, would you? And I'll post here again if I find out about some openings.

I'm really shocked, though, that you haven't found anything in special ed, because there are a lot of openings around for that that I see. I don't know how far you'd be willing to travel but I believe Clear Creek and Texas City - as well as Pasadena and HISD - have openings for SPED.

27. sweetmel

sweetmel Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

Ms. Franks, I just checked some of the district sites I visit every day and found a SPED elementary position in Texas City, 2 "Special Ed - Social Development" positions in two different Clear Creek high schools, a few openings in Pasadena, and several in HISD - I don't know how many of those are actually available, though. I've started applying up to 60 miles away :( That drive through Houston traffic would suck but unemployment is worse. I wish I'd paid attention in Spanish classes because there are tons of bilingual openings in HISD.

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

I was initially hired a week after school started. I have been at my school for 5 years; in 3 of those we have hired new teachers after school began--once as late as February.

29. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2009

Good idea to check school district websites! There are a few jobs posted recently and they aren't on edjoin, or craigslist, or in the paper. The postings are only open for 3 days as well! I wouldn't have known except a friend called and told me she heard a school may be hiring. Check every day!!

30. sweetmel

sweetmel Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

Thanks all, it makes me feel a bit more hopeful hearing how so many of you got hired after school starts. How do you suggest I could best position myself to possibly get an interview/get hired at this point? I'd filled out all the online apps 1-2 months ago and then two weeks ago (one week before the teachers went back to work) I emailed the principals in my district and a couple of the closest others. I said that I realized that the positions were full right now but I'd appreciate it if they would keep me in mind - and continued with a modified cover letter. I attached my resume and a copy of my best recommendation letter from my last supervisor. I didn't expect to hear anything back from them, as I knew they were busy, but I did get one email back from the gifted and talented charter school here and the principal was very nice and said she'd definitely keep me in mind! I started crying because it just felt so good to be acknowledged at all. I wanted to write her back and thank her profusely just for replying but I thought she might then think I was crazy, lol.

So... what should I do now? Should I email them again? Will that not annoy them? I'm planning on calling all the schools maybe Tuesday (since Monday is the first day of school, I thought they would be too busy to deal with me?) Should I actually take my resume in to the schools? Should I go to the district office and talk to them? I'm running out of money and in panic mode :(

31. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

I'm going to email all the districts near me today to get my name out there just in case. There hasn't been a lot of postings lately in my area though. *crossing fingers*

32. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

Good Idea Jlyn! :)

33. New2TX

New2TX Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

I'm a ACP student looking to get hired also. I have did my application online and I am still waiting for calls or at least replies. No one has called yet. I thought that I would get called because I passed the Generalist 4-8 test and I have two technology degrees. Hopefully I get a call.

34. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Sep 1, 2010

I hate to say it - but it is very hard with ACP and no experience (in the last 15 years) - my boat.
    I have applied to 7 districts and most charter schools with only 2phone calls. One of my big issues is referrals. I have worked for the same company for over 13 years and it is against policy to give referals. So none of supervisors can give me a letter or even acknowledge I work there (which I still do - so I can't really ask for help). Also, I due to working full time I have not been able to student teach or sub..... And I am not bilingual or ESL certified yet.
    I keep trying hoping to catch the right person at the right time...
    So good luck to all of us ACP graduates in Texas!!! Things will happen for us - we just need to be positive and persistent!!!

35. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Sep 2, 2010

I have to agree, especially with the number of ACPs in the major metro areas. Also, with so many universities with large education programs it's hard to compete. As part of my masters I had the option of doing the ACP route to certification or student teaching. I opted to try ACP last year and applied to 28 districts and had zero interviews. After not getting an internship I decided to bite the bullet and do student teaching.

Even though I still don't have a job (fingers crossed I get one soon) this year has been much better than last. I have had 8 interviews and gotten more positive feedback from districts. The market has also been a lot tougher this year, as evidenced by the number of districts I saw not even accepting ACP candidate applications. It does happen for some people, but mainly for high demand areas.

I really do wish you luck, but if you don't get an internship you might want to look into whether student teaching is an option. The expense has been very high, but at least I'm fully certified and if I wanted to I could get certified in other states with my TX certificate.

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2010

We will most likely be hiring a new teacher before the end of September.

37. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Sep 2, 2010

I am on the recall list for my school corporation and I know they are still calling back people. School started last Wednesday. Today though is the first of two days (another is in 2 weeks) they do an offical count of the students. I know a school that needs to open 2 more classrooms but couldn't until after today's count. I'm just hoping that enough open around the district to get me a classroom job. Though I already figure I won't get one but they are also offering building subs as part of the recall so I'm just waiting and waiting and going stir crazy with not much to do!!

But my point was that yes people do get hired after school starts. At my friends school they hired a K teacher 3 weeks in. All four classes had 30 kids with an aide. I"m suprised it didn't happen sooner!!