Getting graded papers, weekly updates, etc. from school to home

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KiewiStyles, Mar 3, 2009.

1. KiewiStyles

KiewiStyles Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

I'm having trouble with a select few students who are not taking materials home with them. I had one parent in a Dec. conference tell me she had no idea I sent home weekly updates (4 months into school!). I decided to do my updates via email. However, I still know that some students are not bringing home things that have been graded or things we've done in class. Does anyone have any idea how I can get them to be responsible 4th graders, without adding another "thing" for me to do. I tried weekly folders, but it didn't help. Any other ideas?

3. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

I know you said you tried weekly folders, but did you have the parents sign them? Every week, I send home a folder of papers with my students. I have a paper on the left side that shows the date, the number of papers in the folder, a space for comments, on a space for the parents to sign. That way, the parents see the papers, see how many papers there are supposed to be (so if the kids take bad grades out, the parents will know), and sign so I know they recieved them.

4. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

I thing I have seen that works really well is having the parents sign off on the student's planner. That way, the parents are aware of upcoming assignments, due dates, etc. I also subbed for another teacher that had a mini gradebook affixed to the inside of the folder that parents signed off on so that they could see at a glance how the student was doing.

As far as email - do you have a class website or blog? You could post every night a message about what happened in class, what students are bringing home, and upcoming events.

5. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Mar 4, 2009

While this may not help for this year, you might talk to your principal about implementing something schoolwide. At our school, every Tuesday, the kids take home a bright yellow envelope containing all important notes and graded assignments. The envelope is made of some sort of indestructible material that feels like it may have plastic or fabric in it. I can't really describe it, but you could talk to an office supply store. The benefit of implementing this schoolwide is that from Kindergarten on, the parents know to expect this folder on Tuesdays. I also write their conduct grade on the front, so many parents are very interested in that!

6. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

we use teacherease, if they do not bring in signed work it gets marked as not being completed... so the parents can check their grades and all missing/late work. I only do grades once a week and make sure an email is sent for each missing assignment. Though not everything counts for a grade it is easily accessible to parents to find out what is missing and what is due that week.