Getting frustrated with the whole job search thing

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by athomp, Mar 3, 2008.

1. athomp

athomp Rookie

Mar 3, 2008

Hello,

I just recently (a little over a month ago) for my credential to teach in California. I've been sending resumes out and have received little to no response. I try to follow up on the one's I've sent out, but many of the districts don't know how many teachers they will need-- don't call us, we'll call you. It doesn't help knowing that a huge cut in education funding has been proposed by the Govenator. I have a hard time keeping a positive attitude.

I'm going to a job fair this weekend. Are job fairs a waste of time?

I had a professional resume writer do my resume. Are there any other job seeking strategies I should be doing? Like instead of applying to the district itself, just send my resume to the school principal?

Thanks for listening. I just needed to vent. Any suggestions are very welcomed.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2008

Desperate times call for desperate meausres. I have been looking on and off for 10 years. I could have a job about an hour away but I choose not to go there.

Keep sending out resumes. The more you send your more likely to be added to the top of the pile. I would send to the Superintendants and to individual schools as well. What's the worst that can happen?

A lot depends on your certification area too. elementary ed jobs are few and far around here. Do you have any additional certifications? Are you willing to relocate? Do you have any type of connections that can get you an interview?

Try to gain as much experience as you can. Working with children in whatever capacity you can while you are searching for a classroom position. Often we have to start out as subs or tutors to get a foot in the door.

Good luck

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2008

I understand where you're coming from. The job search process can be depressing. Job fairs can be a wonderful place to network. They are not a waste of time because you get a feel for what certain districts are looking for. I would send my resumes out to every school principal in every district that was in a radius you're comfortable driving.

Also, I know that schools around here are starting to post positions for next school year, but probably won't be contacting for interviews until after Spring Break. Late March-into April seems to be the best time for job hunting. Good luck!

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 4, 2008

AthompI am in the exact same position as you are. I have not sent out resumes yet though, I'm just finishing up cover letters and the last revisions of my resume; so I'm hoping to send them out by early next week. Regardless, I have heard a lot of disappointing news from districts. Not only are some districts not hiring, they seem to be firing! Other districts say that the outlook doesn't look good for next year. It seems really hopeless to me too. I'm going to a job fair next Saturday, and I've never been to one either. I'm hoping I'll get something out of it, although there are only 2 districts that I would try to apply for, neither one of choice, (all the other one's are way too far from me)--so I'm doing it as a sort of practice run...we'll see how it goes. There is a job fair in May that I am really looking forward to; so I'm hoping my experience next weekend will give me something to go off for the one in May.

Good luck with the search, unfortunately we'll need it.

Where in California are you looking?

6. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Mar 4, 2008

Hi-

I'm feeling really down right now, too, about the California job search. I just got a "we really appreciate your interest" email from the County Office of Ed. and a request that I NOT attend their job fair.

I hope we can prop each other up, especially those of us in California with the education budget being axed.

The only interviews I have been able to land both came from job fairs. I would say they are well worth it, if nothing else than for practice meeting people and interviewing. Both of my interviews came from districts where I didn't apply but gave them my resume at the fair.

I'm very discouraged right now, but I know we can work together to help each other. I would suggest you check all area university web sites also for education fairs. I'm crashing one this week at the local U.C.- the coordinator said it was open to all students. Maybe we could start a listing of all known job fairs coming up in the next few weeks?

That is very impressive that you had your resume done by a professional. I would love to see it!

Wishing you ALL the best-
    Kippers

7. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 4, 2008

I'm going to this event next weekend, here is a link. Just so you know it's for Southern California, I'm not sure where the two of you are searching. http://www.caeelink.org/

I don't think Northern California has much of a decline for teachers as does Southern...because when I look on EdJoin in NoCal counties I see tons of openings for elementary teachers...but then I choose SoCal counties and there is absolutely nothing. Except the occasional charter school...

I keep thinking to myself...what a time to have gotten a credential :unsure:I really do hope things turn around...

Kippers - What is the UC job fair you're crashing? Although, I don't think I'm very prepared to go this weekend, but just incase!

8. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Mar 4, 2008

The job fair is tomorrow evening!

Here is the link- it is at UC Riverside and has 53 listed participants.

http://www.events.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/display.cgi?comp_id=19772:20080305160000

9. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 4, 2008

Oh man...I can't make that. I have a part-time job that I work during the evening. I could have taken the day off...but a co-worker asked before me...so that won't be happening! Ah well...there will be more I suppose!

Kippers---What do you take to the job fairs? For instance, say there are 3 districts who you are interested in...do you only hand them a resume, or more? Also, what if you already sent in an application packet to their district?

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Mar 4, 2008

I think that what you do depends on what district you are looking at. Here it helps if you go from school to school and personally drop off your resume sometimes. Also - principals do the hiring. I haven't really figured out what HR DOES around here!

Right now - at least here- schools are bogged down with testing and many are keeping the perm subs they have just to have continutity for the kids through the testing period.

Unless their are current vacancies- the principals here don't know what their staffing will be like for next year yet (who is leaving/ retiring/ moving to a new school or just moving- resigning etc). Most principals try to "protect their own" before they hire new hires too.

Our job fairs (are a waste of time) and start in May. They are May, June, July and August. There is one in January - but I'm not sure how many schools go to that. I know of the other job fairs about 1/2 (300 or schools) go. The rest hire via word of mouth.

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Mar 4, 2008

P.S. sometimes you have to look at "undesirable schools too" There are sometimes VERY bad schools in Very good neighborhoods. Likewise there are sometimes VERY GOOD schools in very bad neighborhood. Give everything a chance. Keep an "open mind policy."

12. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Mar 4, 2008

I wouldn't say job fairs are a complete waste of time since those are the only places I got calls for interviews.:2cents:

At the last two fairs, I took resumes with letters of reference and contacts attached.

This time, I'm attempting to put together a cover letter with some small nugget I can glean about the chosen district, resume, contacts, copies of letters, test scores and transcripts. It may totally be overkill, but I'm pretty worried right now since I'm not exactly young and my girls are asking for crazy things like new sneakers and groceries.

I have this private fantasy that I'll come home from one of these things with balloons and the latest Barbie movie release to celebrate a signed contract. I can't wait to have a darn good reason to be forced to watch Barbie of Mariposa.:)

13. athomp

athomp Rookie

Mar 5, 2008

Thanks to everyone for the support. Right now, I wish I didn't live in California. I've even thought about going back to my home state, Nebraska, but it's too cold there. Nah, not gonna do it...but it could be a plan B.

I live in Palm Springs, so I am looking there. There's a big job fair in the desert this weekend that I plan on going to. But I don't necessarily want to stay here...it's too hot. :)

I'm very willing to relocate within the state of California. I'm trying to be as flexible as I can, but there some places where I have no desire to live. I've been looking in the northern area too. I'm going to the Santa Clara County recruitment fair on March 15th. Anyone going to that one? I thought maybe I might have better luck there than in SoCal.

14. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 5, 2008

There are some job fairs in SoCal that have NoCal reps at them. My only problem is I'm in the master's program at my school and I'll have my two research classes (writing a thesis) left to do in the fall, and I don't believe those can be taken online. So I'm kind of stuck in SoCal...can't go too far from my school. :eek:/