Getting frustrated with the economy and jobs, need encouragement please!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cali*teacher, Oct 19, 2010.

1. cali*teacher

cali*teacher Companion

Oct 19, 2010

I have overall really decided I enjoy elementary teaching alot. I love the kids, they are absolutely the best medicine. I feel like I am learning how to put together lessons and building upon that learning, not totally accomplished, but feel more comfortable and enjoying it. I still have a half year to go to be done with my program. I am just soooo frustrated though about being able to find a job. I am here in CA and as you know it's NOT the place to be right now if you want to find a teaching job. I just wish I had done this in the 90's when they were practically begging for teachers :(. My first mentor teacher got a practically free ride to become an elementary teacher with the school system she works in now from that time period back in the 90's. Now with her length of time teaching and her being a decent teacher, those two things pretty much ensure she will always have a job. I am a little envious, I must say. I guess I'll just have to pray God opens some doors at the right time!

3. cali*teacher

cali*teacher Companion

Oct 19, 2010

Hmmm, I might have put my post in the wrong part of the forums, if so, sorry!

4. cali*teacher

cali*teacher Companion

Oct 19, 2010

Wait, I see I should have put this in "Job Seekers", probably.

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 20, 2010

Can't offer you encouragement. I can offer you some company (i.e. misery loves company). Like you, I am an elementary school teacher looking for an opportunity. Like you, I am in CA. And like you, I could look back and say "I shoulda got into it back when..." (I don't on that last point... spilt milk IMO.) But I'm like you, in that I guess you could saythat I need encouragement. My last rejection e-mail stated that I was in competition with 1,000 other applicants... and when the Superintendant tried to be sympathetic and telling us to remain optimistic and stick with it... (By any measure, a typical, pleasant little message)

...I couldn't help but feel glad-handed/dissed.

Basically, it just shows my bitterness. And maybe like you, it's worn at me to the point where I want to be done teaching after this year (after many years in the field. I still love teaching mind you.) And certainly the realization that, to pursue my teaching career, I have to move out-of-state. I'm not looking for sympathy/encouragement/advice BTW. I have not let this attitude affect my teaching or my dealings really, in any way. But at this point, as I continue to sporadically try and put my application into places now, I sort of have that I-don't-give-a-____ mentality. I kinda stopped caring what I say... (e.g. In my introductory letters, rather than having like 50 rewrites, I have one.)

If you've ever seen the movie, Shawshank Redemption--when Morgan Freeman's character goes up in front of the parole board for the final time with an "I don't give a ____ anymore" mentality. That would be a great description of how I feel now.

Just offering my misery for you cali*teacher ;) (misery loving company). If anyone has any encouragement, send it cali*teacher's way! :D

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2010

Well, I don't think I can send encouragement either. In this economy, it is tough. There is no sugar coating it. Perhaps if you are willing to relocate, then your options might open up more. I wish I could be more encouraging.

7. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Oct 20, 2010

I hear you. I am not in your shoes, but I can imagine what it is like in your shoes.

Instead of looking at this as a discouraging situation, why not look at it from another angle? Why not see it as a situation in which you are going to learn from the different opportunities coming your way? More important, keep your eyes open to those opportunities.

Being discouraged and upset will only blind you to those opportunities. They are out there, and you are meant to discover them. They may not be in the direction that you are hoping for, but they are exactly what you need to shape you into the kind of teacher you so desire to be.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2010

:yeahthat:

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 20, 2010

I'm in CA too. Unfortunately, this is a lousy time to get into the teaching field. I used to be a special ed teacher for just a year right as the recession started. Since then, I've made a switch & am in school studying speech-language pathology. My BF's aunt was a teacher for 8 yrs & lost her job.

However, I don't care how bad things are, if teaching's your true passion, never give up! :thumb: Yes, it's frustrating & you may have to work 3x's harder, but keep chugging.

I'm shure a lot of teachers who just have their Level I credential & have to get their Level II within a certain amount of time are probably sturggling because they know they have to get hired in a certain timeframe. Does anyyone know how that issue's going to work? The last I checked w/ the CCTC (standing for CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing I believe), I was told not to worry if your Level I credential becomes past the expiration date.

10. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Oct 20, 2010

I believe one's preliminary credentials will be extended.
    I'm in So Cal, and am also frustrated. After being a SAHM, I got my credentials a few years ago - right before the economy went bad. I often wonder if I will ever get my own classroom! I'm soooo lucky that I was hired part time in an elementary school. This is my 2nd year there, and do feel fortunate.
    I thought about starting a speech path. program, but I can't afford going through yet another program. I have a lot of school under my belt, but no full-time job to show for it.
    Gotta stay positive!!!

11. cali*teacher

cali*teacher Companion

Jul 7, 2012

Thanks for the replies. It's been a while since I've been on this forum.