Getting fit?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jan 12, 2015.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2015

I bought a fitbit zip today! I am excited to see how many steps I get in at work, since I feel like I do a lot of walking! I know I'm way too sedentary on the weekends though, so I'm hoping it will motivate me to get steps in every day. I am going to Vegas with some girlfriends during Spring Break, which is about 8 weeks from now. I'm hoping to be down 10 pounds by then- hopefully tracking my steps will give me a little extra push.

2. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2015

I get in close to 10 000 steps at work every day! It's amazing how it adds up.

3. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Feb 10, 2015

So, I'm doing this weight loss challenge and this week is our weigh in week.

I lost about 10 pounds, but after being measured, found that I lost 11lbs of body fat and gained 5 pounds of lean muscle.

I didn't think I'd been doing very good... now I think of what will happen when I REALLY kick it into high gear. Appendix surgery couldn't keep me down, after all!

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 10, 2015

I just weighed myself today and so far I lost a total of 15 lbs! :) 2 more lbs lost, and I will be where I was 3 years ago! I'm so happy, 3 year's worth of weight gain lost in 3 months, not bad.

And it's definitely noticeable, and I fit into all kinds of clothes now.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 11, 2015

I haven't lost anything :( I know my eating has been awful, so I'm really focusing on that.

I did a killer workout with a trainer yesterday. My thighs and abs hurt so much!!

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 11, 2015

If anyone wants to be Fitbit friends you can PM me and I'll add you. The challenges that you can join really motivate you.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 14, 2015

I had another coaching session last night. It was very hard! Mostly free weights and our own body weight. No resting between the exercises. I kind of thought of it as my last chance workout since I'm being measured again on Monday. I'm taking the dog for a walk today, but nothing tomorrow.

Food has been better this week. I've started counting my calories more. Eating out is what kills me!

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 19, 2015

How's everyone else doing?

I got measured on Monday. I lost about a half inch everywhere on average. I'm down 5 pounds too, so I must've been retaining some water. It is that TOM! I had two coaching sessions this week already and a cardio class today and a coaching session tomorrow hopefully.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 19, 2015

No weight loss here. :( Measurements, some up, some down.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 19, 2015

I lost a total of 17 lbs so far! In the past 3 months I lost the weight I gained in the past 3 years. I'm so happy. I've been wearing pants that I haven't worn for 3 years, and now I'm sitting in a pair of jeans that wouldn't even come up to my hips 3 months ago. I have 20 more lbs to go, but I'm already feeling so much better.
    It also feels great to know that this weight loss has been healthy, focusing on reduced calories (a little less than 1400 calories / day) and exercise; and I lost on average 1 lbs / week. Which means it will be easy to keep off.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 20, 2015

That's awesome Linguist!!! Way to go!

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2015

What's a fitbit friend?!?!

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 20, 2015

If you have a Fitbit pedometer you can request people to be your friend and you join challenges.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2015

OH that's cool!!!

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 2, 2015

I've done three workouts with our new coach at my gym. I really like her. She's intense, but I feel like I am really working when I do her workouts! My abs hurt for days after the one workout. We're going to the Kentucky Oaks and Derby this year. My plan is to be down at least one size before we go and hopefully under the 200 mark!

Ate at Cheesecake Factory yesterday, but we didn't eat much else yesterday and I only ate part of my food and cheesecake do I actually did pretty well calories wise.

Plan for this week is coaching tonight, off tomorrow, coaching Wednesday, workout class Thursday, gym workout with a friend Friday, and a walk with the pup on Saturday.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2015

Getting back on track. I'm starting a 21 Day Fix challenge today. I don't have my kit yet, but have found enough info online to start the eating plan. I'm going to sub in my own workouts until the kit comes--did about 15 minutes of ab and light weight work this morning, then I'll hop on the treadmill or, gasp, go for a walk outside after work while the weather is decent.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 2, 2015

I'm pretty much stuck where I've been since December. I am much more likely to exercise outside when the weather is nice. I have been attempting a few walks when the temperature gets above 30! It's so nice to be out in the fresh air.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2015

I'm hoping for the temps to get above -10C (14F)! It will feel downright balmy!

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 2, 2015

The problem for us has been the wind!

20. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 2, 2015

Let me know how you like it! I want to do the meal plan but not the workouts.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2015

I try to get outside to feed the birds at least once a week been too cold to be out!!!

Went out yesterday...nothing like walking in snow that's up to my knees!!! LOL!!! Good workout though!!! :)

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 2, 2015

I don't like walking in the snow so I usually go to a local park and walk around. They have sidewalks that are shoveled pretty well most of the time. There are 2 main places people like to go walking around in my town. There are no sidewalks in my neighborhood so walking up the streets could be dangerous.

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2015

TeacherNY...walking in the snow is just in our backyard to feed the birds. LOL!!! From our pole barn where bird food is to our trees where I can see them!!!

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 3, 2015

Ahh, well I was thinking if I walked in the snow in public (up to my knees) I might get some odd looks LOL

25. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 3, 2015

I am definitely getting stronger! My planks are getting better. My trainer praised it last night too. I really love her. She's awesome!

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2015

Ha... no doubt. My snow pants were my gpa's (he has passed) & I told my dad, I don't remember gpa being that much taller than me. I have to roll the bottom about 2 inches...the snow gets trapped in there like little weights!!! LOL!!!

27. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 7, 2015

Decided to start blogging, mostly about getting in shape. My plan is to share details about my workouts and share my meals/recipes I use. I figured it would be good to write about it. Joiedevivretoujours.wordpress.com

28. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 15, 2015

I lost 24.5 lbs!! Since November 23rd. Not even in 4 month I basically lost the weight I gained in the past 4 years. I'm so happy.

29. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 15, 2015

That's awesome, Linguist! Congrats :)

30. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2015

I'm working on being healthier this year. It's hard because there's so much yummy food in Mexico! I bought an elliptical machine and have been working out on that 40 minutes in the morning 5-6 days a week. I have also ben using Myfitnesspal to log my food. Just having a consciousness of how much calories and fat you have consumed really helps to not go overboard each day!

31. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 15, 2015

The snow is, amazingly, all gone already so I went for a long walk outside this afternoon. I need to get into better shape and improve my eating habits. I'm back to logging onto My Fitness Pal, which is always really informative. I lost 2 pounds last week, just tracking my calories.

32. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Mar 15, 2015

Any Crossfitters out there? If you commit to showing up and doing the work, results are amazing. I have STOPPED worrying about weight and now focus on being STRONG:)
    Crossfit also lowers my stress levels and I use the exercises at school with my second graders...

33. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 15, 2015

That's awesome!! :celebrate:

I'm doing My Fitness Pal and right now using primarily my recumbent bike to exercise - 45 minutes 5-6 days a week, with 6 days being my goal. I've lost 12 lbs since January 2- slow and steady, I guess! I still have a ways to go. Today, I discovered that I can wear my jeans and my work pants that haven't fit me in almost a year! That was a huge victory! :D

34. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 16, 2015

I love non scale victories even more than the weight loss! Congrats on fitting into your old clothes :) I can't wait to go "shopping" in my basement!

I have another coaching session tonight. I'm still a little sore from my session on Friday :lol: We'll see how it goes!

35. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2015

I have found My Fitness Pal to be helpful too! It can be tedious to log everything (though it remembers food you eat, so I guess in a way it's not too bad), at least for me, but I find I have developed an awareness that I didn't have before. I was eating a lot of white rice, thinking that it wasn't that bad because there's no fat (I knew it was high in carbs). Well, it is very high in calories! Oh my!! So even when I am not logging my food (which I am, currently), I have an awareness that I did not have before. My sister lost 20 pounds by logging her food and working out 40 minutes a day. :) And, I didn't realize she had any weight to lose!! She looked fine to me. :)

36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 16, 2015

Everyone is doing great!
    I know that for years everyone was trying to eat fat free or low fat things. That ends up being even worse for you because when they take out fat they add things like sugar. I find eating real food like meat, fruits and vegetables (things that don't come in boxes) are the best for me and I don't even have to worry about eating too many calories (nobody ever got fat by overeating vegetables!!).

37. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2015

M sister and I had been doing exactly that for years. We were eating just low fat or fat free. Not exactly the healthiest way to eat. I cook fish 2-3 times a week, pile on the veggies, and have small rice/pasta portions (they are high in calories). I watch my saturated fat intake, but that doesn't mean I completely restrict myself from having a tasty treat now and again. It really is all about balance.

38. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 16, 2015

That was the biggest thing for me - learning which 'healthy' foods weren't actually that healthy! I love the information I'm getting from logging all my food.

39. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 6, 2015

Thought I'd check and see how everyone is doing! Wednesday marks three months at my gym. I bought a heart rate monitor and used it for the first time today. Burned 587 calories with my trainer! We weigh in at school on Wednesday for a weight loss competition. I don't expect to win but I'm so happy with my progress!

40. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 6, 2015

I'm back at LA Fitness as of this afternoon. I've also been working with a wellness coach via my health insurance. Swapping out bread for veggies and hummus as a snack is already making me feel better. I have a 10K on Sunday and am SCARED.