Getting energy out! - Circle time activity

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SamIAm, Jun 1, 2010.

1. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Jun 1, 2010

Hi,
    Some days, like today, my class feels so chaotic. Today, I felt like the kids just had too much energy so I did Simon Says and had them run, jump etc. Afterward, they calmed down a bit and class went a little more smoothly. It got me thinking though that maybe I should do some sort of exercise each morning as part of my circle time to help them get some excess energy out. Do any of you have an activity you do as part of your morning routine or circle to work off some of their energy? Please share. :)

3. msj

msj Companion

Jun 1, 2010

We "count and move." The children copy my movements (jump, clap, stomp, even beep our noses) while we count to 100. I change the movement everytime I reach a 10 (10, 20, 30 etc).

4. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 1, 2010

I went out and bought a really great movement CD. I usually start circle with 1 or 2 of the songs. This helps them get their wiggles out and is good for following direction, learning about rythmn...etc.

5. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 1, 2010

There's one about shake your wiggles out that my almost 4 year old loves.

6. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Jun 1, 2010

We do our number of the day activity like this:
    The number helper rolls a dice, then places that many of an item (flowers for May-it changes every month with the bulletin board)) onto the bulletin board and chooses the number card that matches. Then the number helper picks an exercise to do that many times with the class (sit-ups, jumping jacks, push-ups, knee lifts, etc). The number helper gets to choose 3 different exercises to do that many times.

7. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Jun 1, 2010

We've started doing yoga everyday!

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 1, 2010

There are many CDs out there that have movement songs. I really like Hap Palmer. You can go to his site and read the song lyrics.

9. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Jun 2, 2010

Thank you so much for the awesome ideas!

msj - Your counting idea is pure genius! What a great way to get energy ouot and learn numbers! I am definitly going to do that as part of my morning routine.:thumb:

teacher - I like the idea of including the kids as part of the activity. I think that I could start out with what msj said, and let them start to choose once they begin to get comfortable with it.

Blue - thanks for the recommendation. I am always looking for good kids music. Right now, I am playing a lot of Laurie Berkner - A LOT! So it would be good to try something new. I have been doing some movement songs with the kids, just not everyday. My kids are still a little young and have VERY short attention spans so my circle time - up till now- has been super short. The kids are getting older though and I think they are getting to the point where they can handle more.

Thanks again everyone! Please keep ideas coming if you have them.

10. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jun 2, 2010

I love the Cranium game Hullabaloo! It costs about $20 new, we had one donated. The kids have to listen to directions and then move to the correct Cranium pad on the floor - the directions even tell you that more than one person can be on a pad and be a winner. It comes with a speaker thing that gives all the directions.

We also like dance parties - I love Greg and Steve for movement songs - and also just high energy kids music that we can dance too! Sometimes we'll do If You're Happy and You Know it - but they have to listen carefully to the instructions I give, such as clap 12 times - or stomp 5 times, etc.

Good luck! We are having TERRIBLE weather here, and typically this time of year I've got the kids outside as much as possible doing tons of fun outdoorsy stuff - but the pouring down rain is prohibiting that. So we've got end of year wiggles all cooped up in a little room!!

11. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

Like Blue, I like Hap Palmer. There is one song called Wiggy Wiggy Wiggles that my 3's LOVE right from the beginning of the year and continue through the end. I think it's on the Sally the Swinging Snake CD.

I would also like to recommend songs and fingerplays from Piggyback Songs by Jean Warren. She puts new words to classic tunes, and are very easy for the children (and me) to learn.

12. bex

bex Rookie

Jun 3, 2010

We used to do a TON of movement songs and chants, usually during transitions. "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" is a classic, it's fun for everyone to get faster as you go. There's also "A-root-tah-kah," if you can find that one (too complex for me to explain, really, but silly and fun), "the Button Factory" where you lead them in pressing more buttons with more body parts, (tush and tongue were their favorites), and a copying game using the kids: "Joey, Joey, he's the one, can we do what Joey has done?" Joey stomps his feet, everyone does the same, teacher counts down 321, and moves on to the next child.

The kids also loved a game called "Sleeping, Sleeping." It starts out with the teacher singing "Sleeping, sleeping, all the children were sleeping." The kids drop to the floor and pretend to sleep. Then the teacher says, "And when they woke up, they were monkeys!" The kids then jump up and start acting like wild little monkeys, and after a minute or two, you do it again with another animal or a baby or a ballerina or jet plane. They looove this game, and can stay in one place for it.

There's a stretching song we used to do in the morning, as well. "Way up in the sky, the little birds fly," reach up and wiggle fingers, "While down in their nest, the little birds rest." Touch your toes. "Ssh, they're sleeping." Crouch down. "The bright sun comes up!" Jump up and reach high. "The dew falls away." Reach low and sweep your arms. "Good morning, good morning the little birds say!" Stretch up again on both good mornings.

Jumping contests are good when you can't get outside. See who can jump up and down in place the longest.

13. Preschool_Rocks

Preschool_Rocks Rookie

Jun 3, 2010

My classroom schedule has music and movement right before circle time and it helps the children calm down and ready to listen and learn during cirlce. If they are really rowdy I'll do a music acitivity called Play Your Instrument and Make a Pretty Sound, it's by Ella Jenkins and its a very soft song where the kids have to play instruments according to the music, it really helps them focus.

We usually do two movement songs, one really active like Jim Gill, Greg and Steve, The Learning Station and then the second song is a very quiet song by Hap Palmer it helps the children focus and lower there heart rate. Then we do a small transition like Wiggle Your Happy Toes and we sit down for circle. Movement usually last for fifteen minutes and then circle for another fifteen minutes. But circle is so calm after they've been able to wiggle.

14. yenny

yenny Rookie

Jun 8, 2010

I love a game called 'Sleeping Lions' everyone lies on the floor as still as possible, if anyone moves you ask them to sit up, this carries on until you have a winner/s. I know this dosn't release energy but they seem to love it and it always surprises me how still they can lie. They always ask to play it several times in a row. Peace and quiet! - very rare! =)

15. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 12, 2010

we do things like jump up and down while we say the months, run in place while we count, clap our hands to the days of the week, follow the leader (me) while we recite the alphabet etc--it helps them retain the information, keeps them moving appropriatley, gets their energy out and makes it more fun!

16. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Jun 25, 2010

Our classroom actually moved outdoor time as soon as the children get there to start off on the right foot. They already have their shoes/coats on so, why not?

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 25, 2010

I had a Sesame Street CD and the kids love this song. It is simple and I like to use it with the little ones.

Walk around the circle
    Walk around the circle
    And we all fall down.

18. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 25, 2010

Ken Sheldon has a great cd about following directions that I used with Prek. It's all about imagination and moving. If I wind up teaching K or 1st I need to find my cd! :D

http://www.kensheldon.com/

19. Back2Work

Back2Work Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

We have done some Brain Gym exercises in our classrooms this year. They really do help the kids get more focused! You can google Brain Gym and find some examples to see if they work for you.

20. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 6, 2010

The students in my K class when I worked as an aide loved "The Numbers Jump." I can't remember which CD I got it from, but the words are:

"Jump, jump, the numbers jump
    See what you can do,
    Be a kangaroo.
    Jump, jump, the numbers jump
    Everybody here we go.

Jump one time (one beat of music)
    Jump two times (two beats of music)
    Jump three times (three beats)

Jump, jump..."

It goes up to ten. For a challenge, I'd sometimes start at a higher number, and they would have to pay attention to follow directions. Then, we'd add up how many jumps we did all together.

21. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 6, 2010

It is important to move you body and to learn how to do that.....but I think it is also important to learn how to STOP your body. I love that your game seems to be able to teach that in a fun way. Totally better than just redirecting over and over.....by the way I do that as well. Could you please tell us more about your game-well me at least?

22. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 6, 2010

Bex too could you tell me more about this game?

23. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 8, 2010

My class loves to play "Teacher's Meeting"--you know--teacher's meeting has begun no more talking no more fun if you show your teeth or tongue or make a noise with your body you are out! Sometimes I have a difficult time getting the most talkative ones out when we play!