Getting Discouraged

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeacherApr, Jun 7, 2011.

1. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 7, 2011

I will be moving back home in about 6 weeks. I have been putting in job apps left and right. The one particular school district I want to work in has had jobs all over the place! In the past month, I have applied for at least 12. I did call Principals who stated that they are doing switching around with current teachers and to keep applying because when that settles down the jobs will be open for outsiders. It made me feel better and I continued to apply. It's nearing the end of the school year for them and with each passing day is closer to me moving which just means more stress.

All of these apps are online. How in the WORLD do you stand out with online job apps?

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 7, 2011

I felt the same way. I had to move back home because I could not find a job. I applied all online and had to wait for the current teachers to be places or the teachers that had been let go because of numbers etc.

It is still so early. Do not give up.

4. Memom2

Memom2 Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

I understand, the same thing is happening here. There are several jobs posted, but around 500 people are applying for each one. The application is online also. I took my resume to each school and I still have not heard anything. I graduated at the top of my class; I thought that would at least get me an interview. I just keep telling myself that I will end up where I belong, but it is very discouraging.

5. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

I know how you all feel. I have taught at a private school for the past 4 years. In that time, I have completed my Master's and gotten my state certification in Pre K - 5th and also Middle Grades Social Studies and English.
    I did not sign a new contract for the private school because, mainly, it is time for me to go public and start making money and earning retirement. I am a mid career change teacher and 40 years old. At the private school I made a little over 20,000 per year, the local school district pays over 43,000 for my certification level and experience.
    Anyway, most of the open jobs have been online postings and I did all of that online, then took a hard copy of my cover letter and resume directly to the schools. Ive heard nothing yet. I am getting into panic mode at this point. I am feeling like substituting may be my last resort if I cant get on with a system.
    Anyway, I pray we all find something for the next school year. Who would have ever thought that teachers would have a difficult time finding a job, education is of utmost importance but is treated otherwise!

6. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Jun 7, 2011

I feel the same way. I have a license to teach English (7-12) and Social Studies (7-12). I have been applying everywhere within an one hour drive because I have small children. I have had at least four interviews with no offers. I subbed all last year, and really don't want to sub this upcoming school year. I did keep my name on the list thou. We can't give up just yet because teachers are still moving around.

7. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jun 8, 2011

Can you upload a cover letter to the online system? That's how it works here in CA, and that's how I stood out from all the other applicants.

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 8, 2011

ALL paperwork is to be done online and yes, that includes a cover letter.

9. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 8, 2011

I feel the same way. I live in Illinois where there have been more teachers laid off than openings. I apply online for every position within a 50 miles radius of my house. It's very discouraging.

10. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Jun 10, 2011

I went on 3 interviews for 4 positions this week. I have already gotten one rejection phone call. As each hour passes I feel the odds of me getting one of the other jobs is decreasing. It is amazing how quickly things change. I had several reasons for deciding to go into special ed and one of them was the different job opportunities available. I also live in Illinois and a big school district in my area just riffed a ton of teachers (like 100's) and closed a few school buildings. I am probably competing against these more established teachers. I worry that since my college gave me no clinical experience in resource room that it hurts my chances at those positions.

11. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 10, 2011

3 interviews for 4 positions in 1 week- sounds to me like you're doing pretty good jcar!

12. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011

With that many interviews you must be doing something right!

13. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Jun 10, 2011

Thanks for the positives, lol. I worry that I can't convey in person as well as I must be on paper. I still haven't heard from Tuesday's or Wednesday's interviews.

14. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Jun 11, 2011

You can do it!! You just never know what exactly they are looking for. But I agree, just keep getting those interviews--great practice, if anything!

15. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 11, 2011

Wish I could get some interviews.....

16. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 11, 2011

It is still early, but I can understand your panic. Both times when I was job hunting I thankfully had a contract by April-- I thank God for that greatly. But it is truthfully still early-- the hiring has started, but its not finishing--- sometimes schools won't be finished until a few days before school starts.

As for private schools, keep an open mind about them. Yes-- most of them do not pay much and don't offer great benefits, but it is still a job and it is giving you experience. I could be making 10k more than I am in a public school, but I love working in the private schools I've taught in so far. I'm making around $40K and I have a retirement fund already set up (in 3 years I've saved $12k), and I have health benefits. Not all private schools are the same.