Getting certified in NC for Secondary Ed?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ryanwagner, May 20, 2010.

1. ryanwagner

ryanwagner New Member

May 20, 2010

Hello all, new around here. I have looked all over the internet for the answers to my questions with no luck. Hopefully some folks here can help me out.

Here is my background... I have a BA in History and will be done with my MA in History in December of this year. My plan all along was to be a life long student and get a PhD, but I'm starting to lose steam. After 2 years in graduate school, I'm not sure I want to put in another 4-5 years of graduate level education. Maybe in a few years but I certainly need a break. Neither degree was education tracked and I took two EDU classes while getting my undergrad.

I will be moving to Charlotte, NC in the late summer time. What would it take for someone in my shoes to get certified to teach high school social studies? Am I going to end up needing to get a second masters degree? A separate certification? Take the PRAXIS (I know I'll need to do this eventually)? What are my options here? I know once I finish my MA, I could probably find an adjunct position at a community college or through an online college but teaching HS Social Studies is something I'd certainly be into as well.

If I need to provide more information to clear some things up and get real answers, let me know and I will do my best to fill in the squares. If there is some state office or someone I could call to get answers and you have that information, pass it along, please?

Thanks a ton! -Ryan

3. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

May 21, 2010