Getting certification in another state

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VeniVidiVici, Jan 5, 2018.

1. VeniVidiVici

VeniVidiVici New Member

Jan 5, 2018

I'm on my way to getting certified in NY (will finish next spring with initial certification in SS secondary education if it goes well). However, I live in NYC and it's been a struggle supporting myself even with a full time job working overtime and taking off semesters. I don't know if I will have a very good chance at finding a job in the Long Island area (including Brooklyn and Queens) when I graduate and someone I know that is moving close to Charlotte offered to let me stay for a while when I graduate.

I could get my initial certification in May 2019 in NY. Is it possible to get reciprocity in NC with just an initial certification? How long does it usually take to get the license? Could I apply for jobs in NC when working on getting my license changed over? Also, how is the job market there for someone new to teaching?

Also, I have the same questions about TX. If anyone could lead me to any information or tell me about their personal experience or just give any advice that would be great. I'd really appreciate it.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2018

NC in the past few years was booming and the market was good for teachers. Even though a state may have reciprocity, there are often a few hoops to jump through-an additional test section, a workshop, etc. do your research NOW by contacting the DOE in the states in which you are interested.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 5, 2018

If you search "___ teacher licensure out of state", where the blank is filled by the state you're interested in, the search should bring up at least a few pages that are clearly part of the state department of education website (that is, they'll end with something like de.gov or doe.gov) and that will spell out the requirements for someone in your situation. For most states, as Leaborb has noted, there's a temporary license that can make you eligible for employment while you work on whatever teacher requirements the state won't see fit to waive for you. (There's usually something.) If you've taken any kind of basic-skills test, that is likely to be accepted; if the states you're considering are, like North Carolina, states that use Praxis, you could just bite the bullet and take Praxis while you're finishing up your schooling.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 5, 2018

This was quite awhile ago when I graduated in 2010, so it's possible things have changed, but I did know a few people who went to teach in NC. We were in OH, which was an extremely saturated job market at the time and NC was pretty much begging for teachers (keep in mind there is a reason for that- the salary is low).

In OH we had complete reciprocity with NC- no additional classes or tests needed or anything like that. Due to this, my classmates and I thought we could apply for jobs and then pay/do the paperwork to get the actual license if we were hired. A few of us applied to quite a few places and never heard anything. One of my classmates even went as far as making a 14 hour drive (one way) down to NC to attend a job fair in person. You would think driving that far and showing up in person would show you're pretty serious about moving. Nope. No one would give her the time of day because she wasn't certified in NC, even when she had her OH license in hand and documentation that showed reciprocity. They told her to apply once she had her NC license in hand, which also must be why none of the rest of us ever heard anything despite them supposedly being desperate for teachers.

She ended up going home and doing that right away, and it took about 4 weeks to come. After that, she just started applying online and got multiple offers for phone interviews within the next couple of days, and was hired over the phone within the week. Moral of the story is, if you're serious about moving, you need to have your license in hand.

7. VeniVidiVici

VeniVidiVici New Member

Jan 7, 2018

I will definitely take this advice and look into other places before moving. Is there any good place to find information on how schools are in other states? Can I ask what was bad about Arizona?

I have a love/hate relationship with Queens/BK/LI, but I do not think I'd really want to move elsewhere in NY unless I absolutely had to for work. I don't really like upstate (it's gorgeous though and has great hiking), but NYC is way too overpopulated. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this things I love/hate about NY so I'm going to stop typing. There is no place like home especially when you can't get good pizza elsewhere.

I really appreciate all the advice in this thread. I definitely will contact the other state's DOE now to see if I can find out how to get a license (or temporary license) in another state and see what I would have to do.

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2018

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jan 8, 2018

Seriously, please stay in NY. It’s not worth putting up with all of that. You will make great money and have representation. Why would you give that up?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2018

11. APmathISlife

APmathISlife New Member

May 18, 2019

I think it’s good that he is deciding to look into states that lack sufficient resources to educate kids. Schools in those environments need teachers to try their best to accommodate for that and you ask him to take the selfish route. Good teachers think about what’s best for education, not just themselves. Just saying..

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 18, 2019

:rolleyes:

APmathISlife likes this.