Getting Calls from Your Alma Mater

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 9, 2011

I got my undergrad & grad degrees from the same university. Ever since I graduated the 1st time in 1998, I'd get calls occasionally asking to donate $. I last attended in 2006. I'm still getting calls, the last one was tonight. I wonder for how many yrs do they still call the alumni.

Do you still get called from your alma mater?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Colleges and universities generally have annual giving campaigns. They will call you every year.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2011

Mine used to call me too asking for donations. But, since I have upped and moved to Mexico, it sure cured those pesky calls. You could try something similar. It should eliminate the problem.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

year after year after year . . . . .:D

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

Yep, and I graduated in 1971.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 9, 2011

Haha, Tami!

My university was calling my parent's house because they didn't have my cell number (nor will they ever). They kept trying to get us to sign up for "text alerts" and things while we were on campus, and I purposely never did it for reasons just like this. My mom told the person calling that she'd given them plenty of tuition money, and they needed to stop harrassing her. The person asked for my number so that they could call me, and my mom told them she'd take their number down and give it to me, and I'd call back if I wanted to (thanks mom!).

I did have a professor once that joked that the problem with the education department was that they never had any wealthy alumni to donate things- so true!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 9, 2011

Mine calls more than just once a yr!

Yeah, I know when I move & change my #, they'll have no way to reach me & I plan to be unlisted. But, tonight was the 1st time they called my parents' #. Yes, they're really desperate to reach people.

:eek:

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 10, 2011

Good luck with a new phone number. Mine still found mine and I have moved many times since 1971.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 10, 2011

Just get used to it. I get calls all the time. It's one of the great pleasures of graduating from college.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 10, 2011

It doesn't bother me much. If they call when I happen to have $20 the throw their way, I give it. Also, some of my classmates and I started an emergency fund for education students in need while we're there. It provided grocery gift cards or specific services for students having financial difficulties, especially during student teaching when it is harder to work. I'll sometimes send the dean some money to replenish that fund.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2011

Yup... both of my dad's universities still call him. He's now retired!

Mine calls once a year... but come to think of it, since we got rid of the house and use only cell phones, none of the universities call us!

I used to donate $100 a year to UF... I think my dad did the same for both of his. My brother donates a bit more to both of his.

13. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

I graduated in 1984 and they still call me. Now my son goes there and they call on behalf of the current student. Now how do tuition paying parents afford to donate money?

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

I give generously year after year to Longhorn Football ........ (oops ........ I mean to THE University of Texas) ......:D

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2011

Yeah, thank God mine don't call too often or else, it would start to be a bother. Can we just tell them all, "Please don't call anymore, remove my # from your list."

Ha!

16. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

My dad went to Southwestern Univ. in Kansas (?) for one year in 1948 ish and they still called him up to his passing in 2008!

My alma mater calls and I explain that I have two kids in college and can't possibly afford to donate. I know that kids calling are just doing their jobs and are reading a script so I try not to be rude. Last time, I had a conversation with the gal and we chatted about how the campus has changed.

What kills me is that I get ads from Lesley University asking if I want to get a masters. I got one from THEM!!!

17. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

We get 3 calls--one for me, one for my husband, and one for my daughter because we all graduated from the same college and have had the same land line number for 25 years. We do not answer that phone and actually do not even have a phone plugged in but we have to have a land line due to my husband's job and the fact that his company pays for the land line and our home internet since they require him to have them.

18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

Yes--we generously donate to TAG--LSU's athletic fund every time we buy our season football or baseball tickets--whether we want to or not!!:)

19. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

I was just called two nights ago by my college for a donation (which I gave) and will gladly continue to do until I am unable to afford it. I had a full tuition scholarship to college and I want to pay it forward.

20. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 10, 2011

Mine calls too. I think they have two annual giving campaigns a year. If I have the extra $$ I give a little. I guess I just figured that I got scholarships and grants because of someone else's generosity, so I pay it forward.

21. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 10, 2011

I moved out of state about 11 years ago, got married, and changed my name so they don't really know where to find me. I think they got plenty of my money in the four years I was there.

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 10, 2011

I always know when my college is calling because they are the only ones those first 3 digits in our area code. I usuaally don't answer it but sometimes they leave a message saying they will be sending something in the mail and i can mail in a donation. I do not like to decide on the spot if I'm going to donate when they call but if I get it the mail I can decide later.I usually dontate once every 2 years.

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2011

I'm a charitable person, but I've never given to my college and I don't ever anticipate doing so. I gave them how many thousand upon thousands already? I remember the first time they called asking for donations a couple months after I graduated with my bachelor's degree and I had just started my master's...I told the person on the line I was still dishing out a good chunk of my income to them, so a donation would have to wait. :)

It's not that I find it unworthy, but I just prefer to give to a few other favorite charities.

24. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

I had that job in college - calling alumni and asking for donations.

Ugh. I really hated that job, but the hours worked with my schedule, and you got a free meal coupon for every shift.

For every ten calls, maybe 2 would donate, 2 more would at least be nice, 5 would be rude and angry, and 1 would be crazy.

25. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

My undergraduate university has an unwritten rule that they don't call asking for money until 5 years after a students graduation. I worked with the development staff for several years. This does not stop them from trying to get you to alumni events and calling to "chat." Luckily, I changed my name and have moved several times so no phone calls yet.

26. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Aug 11, 2011

I don't get calls from my university. I do, however, get tons and tons of letters asking to donate. BF gets the same thing since we went to the same school. We get them once every two months since May 2008 when we graduated with our BAs. I'm not updating my address with them this time so hopefully they'll stop.

27. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 11, 2011

Mine does. It irks me. Once they tried to sell me this alumni contact book for something crazy (like $100!)

It is not my charity of choice.

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2011

My college really pushed the alumni book this summer. Of course they called to "update my information" and then was "Oh, while I have you, would you be interested..." He really didn't want to take no for an answer. I laughed because he first said it was well over $100, but each time I said I wasn't at all interested he informed me of a less expensive option. Yeah, still not interested.

29. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2011

Sure do... but I got called from them informing about things they were doing for people & families events... It was interesting.