Getting calls from work on days off/school breaks

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by whizkid, Jun 12, 2018.

1. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 12, 2018

Does it drive anyone else up the wall to get calls from work on days off or during school breaks?

I mean, did the ending of the school year and our contract entitle us to, I don't know, a LIFE or not!!!!

3. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 12, 2018

This is soon to be the hottest thread on the board! :screamcat::screamcat::screamcat:

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 12, 2018

I never get calls from work ?! I did get emails all the time, but they've pretty much stopped since summer started

5. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 12, 2018

You're so lucky!!!

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 12, 2018

What are they calling you about? I email people throughout the summer--and if they respond, they respond. Otherwise, I'll talk to them when they come back in August.

Personally, I don't appreciate being bothered on my personal time. Period.

7. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 12, 2018

Thank you! Exactly! Papers, forms, things I constantly look for during the month of May so I won't be bugged during the summer! I don't even check emails until August! I put up with annoyances for 10 months to get two months away from it!

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 12, 2018

Several years ago, my previous P asked me if I'd be interested in getting Wilson trained and I said yes, but she never appeared to follow through. That summer, she called me and asked if I could go to a training that was about two weeks away; I couldn't go because I was travelling. I told her I travel every summer and need very advance notice if I'm going to be able to do anything like that. She called for the next 3 summers with a training "she had just found out about" and every time it fell on the dates I was out of town. Needless to say, I still have no Wilson training :rolleyes:.

We are required to turn in summer contact info to the office and I don't like that. We should be "off limits" in the summer, IMO. I typically don't check my email until school is getting closer, but we're supposed to be hiring a new para for my program and I want to be in on the interviews, so I've been checking for that reason. My P emailed me a question last week, which I find annoying. No, "I know you may not see this for awhile" or "whenever you can get back to me is fine" comment either. Even though I happened to see it the same day, I purposely waited almost a week to respond so as to not give the impression that I'm readily available during the summer.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 12, 2018

Some years I'm on the interview committee, so I'll be available to sit in on interviews. Other times I need to be contacted about team, department, or other duties outside of regular teaching. They do, however, usually know to text or email me. I hate phone calls.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 13, 2018

I keep my work email on my phone and, therefore, check it regularly during the summer. We don’t get many emails over the summer, but I like to know what’s going on when we do get them. I don’t feel any pressure to respond immediately, so I just respond when I can, if I need to respond at all. The one thing I don’t like is that we are expected to do home visits with our students before the first day of school. In theory, we can wait until our first contract day to start them, as we have about five contract days before the first school day. However, that’s such a busy time that most people like to get them out of the way before the first contract day, and there is often pressure - from parents and admin - to do them sooner. We get paid for them, so I can’t complain too much, but it is annoying to have to plan for that during our summer break. Those are really the only summer emails that I dread.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2018

I have only ever received one phone call from work, and that was a late night phone call from my principal letting me know that one of our staff members had died unexpectedly. My P does communicate via email but she does not expect a response if we are off, in the evenings, on weekends, or during school holidays. My school email comes to my phone, just because I like to be aware, not because I feel the need to respond.

bella84 likes this.
  12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 13, 2018

I've been contacted about interviews when we were arranging those. I've also had my P call to ask what I thought about moving rooms. He could've just moved me, but I appreciated that he called to check first and gave me the option of which room I wanted. Right now we're working on some changes next year that I want to be involved in, so I appreciate the emails.
    I also get emails from kids with questions about their summer assignments. I try to reply to those as promptly as I can.

13. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2018

I have not received a single call from the school or someone at it, unless I had specifically called someone and was waiting on a call back.

I'll sometimes receive an e-mail, but everyone is clear that the expectation is that we have 24 hours (a work day) to respond, but don't have to respond during the summer. The only exception is sometimes if there's some PD that some of us are collaborating with...then we might expect each other to respond...but that in itself is outrageously rare.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 14, 2018

I never actually got called either while on holiday breaks or summer vacations. Emails maybe, in which I sure didn't check it until I was "officially back on the clock".

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2018

I get notified during the summer because I do all the entrance testing for the school, but they try to schedule all tests during one day of the week so I don't have to come in that often. I just leave them my vacation schedule when school gets out so they know when I'm available.

16. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 23, 2018

Why not just wait to talk to them all when they return in August? Like you, perhaps some of your teachers also don't appreciate being bothered on their personal time. Others may feel obligated to respond to the emails that you send throughout the summer, since you're an administrator. I personally don't think anyone likes hearing from their boss while on vacation. Give them a well-deserved break. No news is good news!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Master Pre-K and whizkid like this.
  17. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 24, 2018

I can't imagine my school calling during the summer. Don't know that I would bother answering - everything goes to voice mail. I have no need to respond to every message, from anyone, so this would be a non-issue to me.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 24, 2018

They ask for the yearly yard duty rotation schedule in advance because they like to hand count each person’s # of duties to make sure it’s equal. Every site operates so differently and the expectation at this particular school is that they get the schedule during the summer (when we’re still working and they’re on break).

19. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 24, 2018

Thanks for the explanation. I forgot that there are always some who like to ensure equality - better make sure that duty schedule is fair and balanced!

20. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 26, 2018

I don't respond to emails until the beginning of August. And usually ignore the phone calls that do happen. They leave a voicemail, if I think they're worth the effort I'll call back. Otherwise... August. My two months off are MY two months that I spend with the hubby and kidos. MINE DANG IT MINE. I always read emails because they go to my phone and I can't stand that little red blimp on my phone, drives me up a wall.

whizkid likes this.
  21. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2018

You can always turn the email off on your phone. It takes one toggle of the button.

I got two emails yesterday that I was glad to get. One about a student being moved into my class from another class and another about a teammate’s maternity leave sub. I replied to both because I chose to, but I certainly didn’t feel obligated. I appreciate being told those things now than having to wait until August to find out. Later this week, I’ll get my whole class list via email, which I also appreciate.

22. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 26, 2018

No no no no no...I can't. I'm far too nosy for that. I want to know what's going on. I'm just not responding to emails. And yeah we'll get our official class list for the new semester sometime around the end of July when everything has been ironed. We have a very tentative "this might happen and it might not" course list currently.

23. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Sep 18, 2018

It seems some school administrators don't know what "go to life" means....

24. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 19, 2018

I don't know what that means, lol.

25. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Sep 20, 2018

I think whizkid meant, “got a life.”

26. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Mar 24, 2019

I'm taking it a step further. I have a very small circle of coworkers I talk to during school breaks. They know my rule: we don't know talk about _______________School District on a break. I'm blocking the school's number, administrator's number, and any coworker I think will contact me about that place. Nope, no calls this summer. No calls, no texts, hell, I'm blocking emails to my personal email. You might even try to contact me that way. Not doing it this summer. My nerves are up even thinking about it. I can't think of a summer that I'm anticipating more than this one.

27. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2019

Are you also using your summer to apply to jobs that you think you may enjoy more than your present job?

28. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 25, 2019

I am one of those people who does not feel compelled to answer a phone call, text message, or an email just because my phone rings, vibrates, or notifies me of new emails. I have friends who are freaked out by the fact that I can simply disconnect without going to drastic measures - nothing blocked, but simply ignored. I listen to any messages left, read any emails, just in case it is something that is time sensitive, like benefit deadlines, etc., but since I choose not to work during the summer, I feel no obligation to respond to messages from school that I have no interest in. Somewhere around the beginning to middle of August, I will start to consider the messages and then decide if they warrant any kind of response.

All of that said, I have the luxury of NOT being the head of any committee or department, so I simply consider any message to be FYI, and not urgent. I'm more like Aces - I don't mind knowing what's going on, but that doesn't make my response mandatory. I would hate to go to all of the effort to block numbers and emails. No response is my reply, so attempts at contact are inconsequential to me. Maybe it is just my ability to ignore the phone that gives me peace of mind. I have noticed that most of my coworkers act as if they will burst into flames if any phone call or message goes unanswered for more than a few seconds. My phone and I never became joined at the hip, so my actions are in keeping with that laid back approach. Once in a blue moon, something useful comes across in a message, but it doesn't need my response. You might try a similar approach to see if that takes the aggravation out of the passing of potentially useful information. :cool:

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 25, 2019

I'm the same way. Since I get so many spam calls anyway, it's easy to just not care about answer my phone. My theory is that if it's an important call they will leave a message and I can get back to them as soon as I can. If the message seems urgent I don't delay in calling them back. If it's not urgent then I wait until I have the time.
    Same with emails. I definitely check my email over weekends or breaks but do NOT answer unless it is urgent or I am so bored I can't think of anything else to do on my breaks than to do extraneous work (that hasn't happened yet)!

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  30. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 25, 2019

I prefer email. Frankly, if you're calling me during that off-time, it had better be pretty important. I don't have email notification on my phone, so I always have the option to check my email without it calling to me.

My husband is driven mad by the fact I don't feel compelled to answer my phone every time it rings. I believe in the message system. I believe the rise of the mobile phone does not necessarily mean we must be 100% reachable. As a result, I deal with far fewer stupid calls than Husband.

I don't think I've ever had a big problem with being overly contacted while on break, but I do like to tell myself I don't have to be contacted.

bella84 likes this.
  31. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 25, 2019

May I also add that I am arguably unemployed during the summer. If you expect me to be so involved, pay me.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  32. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Apr 6, 2019

Let's not forget text messages on personal time. Heavens I can't wait until the last day. Phone numbers and email addresses are getting blocked.

bella84 likes this.
  33. futuremathsprof

Apr 6, 2019

I have no problems with parents contacting me during the summer if it’s for tutoring. Otherwise, I don’t respond until early August. I’m with whizkid, my summers are for time off and R&R.

34. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 6, 2019

From students?! Or staff?

35. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 6, 2019

Does anyone else here really do summer for me-time? I'm always hearing vague teachers out there say they work even harder on their profession during the summer.

36. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Apr 6, 2019

Staff

37. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Apr 6, 2019

I work hard on new restaurants, Netflix, Hulu and the NBA Finals during the summer.

otterpop and futuremathsprof like this.
  38. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 6, 2019

I read some professional development books, but I otherwise take summer for me-time. I may do some school-related PD sessions or curriculum work, but that’s only if my district is offering extra pay.

39. futuremathsprof

Apr 7, 2019

I look at it this way: Yes, I am tutoring during the summer, but I make a ton of money ($120/hour) that I then use for me-time. And this summer I am going to finally start experiencing the life I’ve always wanted to live since I was a kid as I will hit a huge milestone very soon (100% debt free at 26).

Giving up a few hours for 3-4 days is totally worth it over the summer because the pro’s >> con’s. :D

40. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 7, 2019

I don't plan, do other school related things, or spend weeks getting my room ready in the summer. I have taught summer school in the past, but that was only because the money was really good. I made more than I did during the school year doing half days with generally less responsibility (no meetings, paperwork, etc.). My district got rid of summer school a few years ago, and since then I haven't worked at all in the summers. I've looked into nearby districts, but the two that actually consider outsiders for summer school positions only pay $25 per hour, which isn't worth it IMO.

I'm going back and forth about potentially taking some online classes this summer to move up to MA+40 on the salary scale. Long term it makes sense, as I'd get about a $1700 permanent raise, but in the short term it kind of stinks because I'd have to pay about $2500 to do the classes in the first place. I just got my +20 at the end of last summer and due to the costs of getting the credits in the first place, am not really even making any "extra" money yet.

41. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 8, 2019

There are many cheaper alternatives out there for graduate hours.