Getting Braces!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by sophie1, May 28, 2007.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

May 28, 2007

I am getting braces! Are there any adult teachers out there who have gotten braces? I am worried about what others including parents, our principal and even my husband will think. I bet my mouth will feel awful. I am so nervous.. Will it be worth it in the end to have had them? Any suggestions?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 28, 2007

I had them as a kid, and they didn't hurt. And that was several centuries..er.. decades ago.

Things have come a long way from the old "metal mouth" braces. Now they're transparent plastic.

And anyone who sees them will know you're taking a positive step to improve your dental health. Just think of what a great role model you'll be for the kids you're teaching!!

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

May 28, 2007

I personally have never had them, but there is a teacher in my school that has them right now. I don't think hers are the great transparent ones that Alice mentioned, but they are nowhere near the kinds of metal ones that kids had even when I was younger. I noticed that she had them but I never really gave it much thought. I would like to think that most people would have that reaction- notice them? Sure. Care about them one way or another? Nah. But I can understand your concerns. Good luck with them and enjoy your straight pretty teeth!

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  5. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

May 28, 2007

Thanks!

6. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

May 29, 2007

I just got my braces off last June. I had them on for 2 yrs 3mo. The first couple of days were difficult as were days after adjustments. Make sure you take some ibuprofen before going in. :) Also for the first few days, have foods that you can mush rather than chewing. I lived on mac-n-cheese, apple sauce, and yogurt for a couple of days. My hubby thought I looked younger and my students thought it was a hoot! I don't regret having them at all... I got rid of a gap between my front two teeth, a family trait.

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 29, 2007

you all lie! They HURT!!!! I was in middle school and my mouth was sore....but like teacherRW said..only in the beginning and the day after checkups!
    I had friends who had the clear ones...personally...I think they get dingy looking...they turn yellow when you eat certian foods.
    They are totally worth it...my teeth were a mess ..and now they look great!

8. new2FL

new2FL Companion

May 31, 2007

I got my braces off in September. I only wore them about 16 months. They do hurt after adjustments, but tylenol fixes that. Definitely eat only soft foods. I had clear on top and metal on the bottom, and depending what type of "ties" I had around the brackets, you really could barely see them. The clear brackets didn't stain (they were sapphire), but the lighter colored ties stain from coffee, diet Coke, and anything red (sauce, berries, wine). I usually wore light pink or light blue, NEVER white or clear.

Also, at first and after adjustments, you will slobber a lot. Gross, but true. My ortho said its your mouth reacting to something new.

Good luck, it's worth it you will have beautiful teeth and a nice smile!

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 31, 2007

I work with a lady who is about 62 and she has those clear plastic braces (kind of like a mouth guard) that she takes out when she eats.

10. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

May 31, 2007

Thanks!

Wow, I really like hearing stories from those of you who have had braces. I am sure it will be fine. Just hearing that it is worth the two years, makes me feel better. Should I really do the color band thing? Will they make me look too young? Also, what did your husbands think when you got braces? Was it awkward at all? :rolleyes:

11. new2FL

new2FL Companion

May 31, 2007

I had fun with the colored bands, but I never went too wild, it clashes with your lipstick:p Usually I would do 1 color on top and a different color on the bottom. As for my husband, he thought it made me look like a little kid, and kissing was a little awkward at first, but he got used to it:D Not like he had a choice!!!!

12. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 1, 2007

I played with the color bands also... I am a purple freak so that was primarily the color I went with for the most part. However, I would do colors that coordinated with holidays. The only color that I didn't care for was yellow... it looked dirty when it was stretched out over the brackets. We also found out that orange looks more like a peachy-pink.

My hubby thought I looked like a high-schooler again. ;) He didn't have a problem at all with them. Smooching took some getting used to but "practice makes perfect". He must not have minded them so much on me because he now has them on himself. Now he looks like the young'un.

My students loved it as several had braces on at the same time as me. We would compare colors of bands after each appointment. At our "Back-to-School Night", I overheard one of my new students make the comment to his parents that he expected to have a good year because his teacher was "cool" due to the braces.

13. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jun 1, 2007

Many adults are getting them. My mom got them at age 40. She's dead now, but she would have been 80 this year. She got the clear kind. She had always wanted her teeth fixed, her problem was she had spaces between them, they weren't crooked just had spaces.

I had them when I was 10. My teeth weren't really very crooked but my Mom was a little teeth obsessed to tell the truth. I had them on for 11 months. My mother would alway notice people's teeth and alway comented on the Miss America girls' teeth, saying "How could she win with those teeth?", even when their teeth actually looked fine.

14. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jun 1, 2007

Two years is a long time, you must have crooked teeth. They are a hassle but if you want straight teeth, you should get them. My children all have straight teeth fortunately.

15. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2007

Two years is a normal amount of time for braces. It will fly by. I had them and my teeth weren't too crooked. My "eye" teeth stuck out some and my bottom teeth were more crooked. They hurt from time to time but nothing a little advil won't fixed :) AND...you will have beautiful teeth for the rest of your life. I got mine when I was 17 bc my parents fought over who would paid for them (they're divorced)! Anyway, as a teacher it won't be a big deal either.

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 1, 2007

I am sooo jealous!!:D I always wanted braces and I remember going to the dentist in the 9th grade and trying my best not to line my teeth up when he asked me to bite down :p . I get a lot of compliments on my teeth but if I got them for free, I would try braces...at least for a month or two;) . I remember dating a guy in university just because he had braces on ...

17. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jun 1, 2007

Really, that seems odd to me. I hated them 11 months. People like them? I didn't know 2 years was the normal time.

I remember my orthodondist, he was my Uncle Norm's partner. My uncle was an orthodondist. His partner was young and handsome, with very gentle hands and I rather had a crush on him.

18. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jun 1, 2007

Wow!

Wow, I love hearing these stories! You all have a lot to share and it has really settled me down. Do any of you have a permanent retainer? He briefly mentioned that to me as a possibility (it would go in the back of my upper teeth). I really didn't like that idea.

Have a great night!:)

19. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jun 1, 2007

I have a permanent retainer on both upper and lower teeth. Really no big deal, just have to floss around them. I also wear regular retainers, top and bottom, when I sleep.

20. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2007

2 years?!?! I wish....try 5yrs for the tops and 6yrs for the bottoms!!!!

21. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jun 2, 2007

Why so long? What needed to be fixed with your teeth? I have more of a spacing problem with my front top teeth. Was it worth it?

22. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jun 2, 2007

Do you feel them at all?

23. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jun 2, 2007

you can't really feel the permanent retainers unless you try. the removable reatainers feel "tight" whe you first put them in, but then I don't notice. I usually pass out sound asleep anyway!

24. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jun 2, 2007

Do people notice them? Are they weird if you are married? The last one was a silly question I know!! :rolleyes:

25. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2007

I have a perm. retainer on the bottom. My husband noticed it when we kissed but it wasn't a big deal. No one else can see it.

26. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 2, 2007

I had braces for a little over two ears... I got them out halfway through my freshman year in college. I HATED being a senior in high school having braces, and being in college with them. Such drama! :rolleyes: But when I got them off, my college friends would be like, "I didn't even know you had braces!" haha.

However, I'm glad I got them. I still wear retainers almost every night when I got to bed. Once I left my retainers on my nightstand, they fell off, and my dog chewed it up! I had to pay $60 to get it replaced, and that was just the top!

Anyway, those of you who have retainers, do you still wear them? Do you wear them forever? I hated the thought of always having to wear my retainers but I think if I don't wear them, my teeth will just move back.

27. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jun 2, 2007

I have a permanent retainer on the bottom as well--one of my sixth graders noticed it at after school program this year (I was kneeling down next to her desk) and she was just enthralled with it. Everyone had to come and peer inside my mouth. It wasn't my favorite moment.

28. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 3, 2007

I had a quick question, and it totally goes with this subject...maybe one of you know the answer!

My really close friend has more of a crowding problem with his teeth, instead of extra spacing. So would that require braces? Or some other form of orthodontry (is that a word? hehe) ?

I know braces bring teeth together and straighten; but in this case they need to be pushed out to allow other teeth to drop in place. He doesnt have dental insurance, or else he would have been to a dentist by now. Thanks in advance!

29. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jun 3, 2007

They use braces to push teeth apart as well--they use chains, bands, etc. to do so. My upper jaw was crowded and I had a tooth come in behind the row of teeth--my orthodontist used elastics and chains to push apart my teeth in the top row and then bring the tooth forward to wear it should be.

My landlady is a future dentist--she is getting ready for this same type of thing, although her tooth was impacted up near her sinus. I have a dentist phobia but I can usually listen to MOST of her stories from dentist school.

30. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 3, 2007

Ya, that's his problem. One of his teeth that should be down is instead in the back pushed up. About how long did it take to correct it? I know when my younger sister had braces, it was 2 years before her teeth were all perfect. But seeing as this is just concerning one area, I'm curious.

Thanks for the quick response, by the way! :)

31. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jun 3, 2007

I had my braces taken off almost 3 years ago-never had them teaching though. I didn't have any significant pain, but that's VERY subjective! I don't think I took pain killers after the first day. Be careful-if you dont follow the rules, your braces stay on longer-things like what you eat...And, if you're not consistant about wearing the retainers for minimum the first year, your teeth will probably shift out of place. (speaking from experience-about the retainers that is!)

32. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jun 3, 2007

I had my braces when I was tiny (elementary school and middle school). I don't know how long it took for JUST that problem, I had other teeth that needed a little straightening, my bottom teeth needed to be aligned because of the top, etc. I had my braces on for 2-3 years I think. My twin did as well, though she had different problems.

If he doesn't have insurance, you might suggest he look for a dental school in the area. My landlady does dental work through the school she attends for people who do not have insurance. I'm not sure the requirements for getting in there, but it is something to consider. She's offered to look at my teeth since I am a student and have no "official" dental insurance, but because of my phobia, I always refuse. I'm going to start seeing a sedation dentist in the fall.

33. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jun 3, 2007

Re: Dental Insurance