Getting beyond frustrated

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Feb 19, 2014

I am getting so tired of having no admin support. He makes us feel stupid if we send a kid to the office, and it's not like I, or anyone for that matter, sends a lot of kids. We do everything in our power to handle things in class, so when we send one it's because he/she really needs to be there.

He gives the "one more time" speech all the time! When "one more time" rolls around, the consequence he threatened is NEVER carried out. The kids KNOW this and don't give a crap if they go to the office or not. It's like there's no recourse for anything! Two kids were having a knock down, drag out, punches being thrown fight last week and he did nothing! And, this isn't hearsay. He told this himself.

We have to deal with enough crap from parents, higher ups, testing, etc. It'd make a world of difference to have someone I feel would really have my back. Just a frustrating, frustrating, frustrating day. I was in tears in my room after school today because a bad situation happened and it played out exactly as I thought it would.

I am just about done. I am almost in tears as I'm typing this. I just feel helpless and hopeless.

Beth

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 19, 2014

:hugs: I'm so sorry.

I don't really have any advice, but I can just imagine how frustrating this would be.

4. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Feb 19, 2014

I have been in a similar situation. I am sorry. It is tough.

5. mcf5157

mcf5157 Rookie

Feb 19, 2014

Honestly... send the kid to another teacher in the school maybe you can offer consequences to other teachers' students. They can come do what your class is doing or finish their work in your room...anything to have them cool off.

6. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Feb 19, 2014

I see what you're saying. It just kind of sucks that he makes $40,000 more a year than I do and I feel that sending a kid to him is futile.

7. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 19, 2014

Bella,

Anyone in your shoes would feel helpless and hopeless. This school you work at is like a bad, neglectful boyfriend.

Is there any way you could quit?

8. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 19, 2014

Do you have a paraprofessional? I do. We find the children hate to be removed from the room because they know that we will do something fun as soon as they are removed.
    I once had a principal like this. He would make the kids refill the pop machine as punishment. Needless to say, the kids loved it and the pop machine was always well stocked. The positive part is I became an expert at behavior management. My current principal said that when I show up at his door he knows there is a serious problem because I only talk to him like once every four years.
    Try to use this as a learning experience which I know is easier said than done. Better days will come.:hugs:

9. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Feb 19, 2014

No, I'm stuck. :( I've been looking at other districts and have my resume in at one.

No para. I'll take your word on there being better days to come...like Friday. :)

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 20, 2014

My only advice would be to continue applying at different school districts! :hugs:

Last year, I worked under a terrible principal. She actually helped me learn one thing, though: She taught me what type of administrator I never want to be!

Hang in there, Bella!

11. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 20, 2014

You're right, Bella. A principal who works with his or her staff makes all the difference in the world. I've seen both sides, and I don't envy your position at all.

Good Luck

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 20, 2014

Please know that I am in the same boat this year. I have said in another post that after 20 years of teaching, this is the first year I have sat down and seriously tried to figure out financially if I could quit. The lack of admin support has brought our school to its knees. The kids are running the school. We are shoving "positive" support to the kids, but none of my 5th graders are held accountable for poor behavior/choices. The worst behaved kids are given "leader" privileges in hopes that their behaviors changes. Uh, no, that is simply giving them the message that their behaviors are accepted and they are now in "power".
    I am SO sorry that this is happening to you. I completely understand your feelings!