Getting back into the profession after a long hiatus

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by irishtriplets, Jul 10, 2014.

1. irishtriplets

irishtriplets New Member

Jul 10, 2014

I graduated in 2000 and substituted for almost four years. I grew very frustrated with the job search, I was having to go back to waiting tables every summer when schools were on vacation. I got a full time job in a hospital, then had babies and spent even more time as a stay at home mom.

What a lesson in life! When I was substituting and looking for teaching jobs, I was very young and looked even younger. I was naive and my self confidence was low due to a bad student teaching experience and a horrible case of the "shy's". Some life experiences have only been a positive.

Now that my sons are older and in school themselves, I am looking to get back into the profession. I miss the classroom. I have to get my residency certificate, that's on my to do list for the next week. And I'd like to eventually get to the point of applying for full time positions. But I'm nervous, it's been a good while since I've put on my official teacher shoes. I wonder if the time away from the profession as well as an okay student teaching report will be a liability? I was advised to seek a redo on my student teaching but at the time I hated to cause trouble and was so relieved it was over, I wish I had now.

I feel much more confidant now in my ability to be a strong and inspiring teacher.

Any advice? I am quite overwhelmed.:dizzy:

3. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

Do you have the ability, financially, to observe for a semester or a whole year before starting again full-time? That's the only thing I can think of. My first year, I had literally ZERO classroom experience - no practicum, no student teaching, no education courses, nothing (I'm alternate track). It actually went very well - the first few months were rough, but I feel like I fell into teaching quite naturally and it was successful overall. So I think you'd be okay jumping right back in, though it would likely be rough for a little while.

On a completely unrelated note...do you really have Irish triplets?? That's crazy - awesome, but crazy! Three under three...I can't imagine. I have a one-year-old and just can't even imagine having three at this point. Go you!

4. irishtriplets

irishtriplets New Member

Jul 10, 2014

Actually, it was three in a year. My twins were born 11 months after my oldest. They're seven and six and six now.

I guess I could observe. I do have some dated substituting experience. And had three long term positions. I feel more comfortable and confident now after having worked in an ER (go figure) and having my own kiddos.

5. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

You can always try for a teachers assistant job. It's full time and not only will help you as a teacher but it's a foot in the door.

6. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

I have major respect for you as a mother!! :)

7. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 10, 2014

I would get on a subbing list and start applying for full time jobs. When you get an interview, explain how the ER and being a Mom will make you a better teacher.

8. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 11, 2014

What certifications do you hold? I'm leaving my job to focus on going back into teacher. I sought some advice at my sub interview and they recommending subbing, teaching assistant, or aid in a Special Ed room. I was very honest with my experiences and they said nothing but positive things and gave me great advice. They even recommended me to HR for future job postings. Chances you will get a full-time position is slim. You would have to go back into subbing and work your butt off!

9. irishtriplets

irishtriplets New Member

Jul 12, 2014

I figured I'd have to start with subbing as a classroom teacher and even an aide before anything I have a chance at full time. And I'm okay with that. One of my kiddos is special needs (developmental delays) and I truly appreciate the flexibility of a substitute teacher. But I've always been the kind of person to think of the tomorrows. But I have to focus on the now and nail this substitute thing.

And thank you, Mrs Red. Some days I feel like the mom from Malcolm in the Middle...most days.

10. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 12, 2014

I took a shorter hiatus, but understand how you're feeling.

I graduated in 2007, landed a full time position and taught for almost two years. Then I got pregnant and my husband was given orders across the country (Navy) so I chose to stay at home with my son (and 21 months later, a daughter) from March 2009 to March 2013.

For the last year that I was home, I did work part time teaching at a private preschool three half days a week. I was always checking my district's vacancy list online and in February 2013 a position was posted that I thought would be perfect for me, so I applied, was interviewed and hit it off with the principal. The rest is history! :)

Like you, I was very young when I began teaching the first time (23) and now at 30, I feel so much more comfortable in my own skin and confident in the decisions that I make. I'm glad that I took the time to stay home with my children, and now I'm glad to be back in the classroom. Good luck!