Getting back in the game

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by youmanj, Dec 3, 2013.

1. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Dec 3, 2013

Graduated in 2010, and unfortunately haven't found work. Subbed for a year afterwards, but since my student loans started to kick in, I have had to find other full time work. I am getting that itch to get back into the classroom and start looking for employment for the 2014-2015 school year. Like I said, I am currently working a full time job that requires me to work 40 hours to mostly pay for my student loans. My question is, will I be looked at negatively bc I haven't been in a school environment in 1yr 1/2. I wan't to sub, but my job just doesn't allow me to. Are there any other ways that I could possibly fulfill this "requirement"? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013

Without giving too much personal information - what's the difference between what you'd earn subbing, say, 150ish days out of the year only relative to what you get from the full time job? If the difference can be made up with a different summer job (2.5 months worth of time) and any other side job that could fit into better holes (i.e. the side job I had worked around my schedule, allowing me to work only nights and weekends), then I'd simply switch to doing that.

You might not be looked at "negatively" per-say, but someone that has been subbing continually since they graduated / last had a job would probably be looked at a step above you.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2013

This economy has forced a LOT of wonderful teachers to find alternate employment. That in and of itself isn't a negative.

But I think you need to start, now, networking like crazy. See if you can coach/ moderate/help with some activity involving kids. Does the local high school need someone to help with sets for the play? Do they need security at basketball games? Does the debate team need judges? (Trust me, they do.)

Find a way to become known in the school community. And start to work on a killer cover letter that will show that you are the person they want in their classroom.

5. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Dec 4, 2013

I appreciate the response. I have been looking at those possibilities. Maybe even going around to some of the local schools and asking if they need after school tutors/homework help. This job I currently have allows me to only work 9-5 Monday through Friday, so my days are pretty much shot.

Also, pertaining to me resume. The one I have right now pretty much is geared toward retail with only the subbing I did back in 2011-2012. Do I need to revamp it totally and go with one that is more toward Education?

6. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Dec 4, 2013

I would suggest that you put up flyers on bulletin boards in grocery stores, churches, or libraries that advertise your services as a tutor. See if you can pick up a student or two after hours that you can tutor once a week for a set price. Around my area parents pay $40 an hour. Just to get the experience of working with a kid you could charge less. Then have the parent write you a letter of reference. Just a suggestion.

7. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Dec 7, 2013

Excuse me, you can't just tutor. You have to be knowledgeable in your content area, familiar with test- and reading strategies and the requirements of the common core.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2013

The OP is presumably certified and licensed to teach....I'd think this would qualify one to tutor.

9. ZebraStripes

ZebraStripes Rookie

Dec 7, 2013

I took three years off after student teaching to work in banking. Last year I went down to part time and subbed as well. After three months of subbing and the summer break I was hired on a continuing contract.

When I subbed I barely networked so if you can't sub I definitely don't think it's a deal breaker. What I did do was email every single principal in the district telling them I'd love to talk with them and learn more about their school and what they're looking for in a strong teaching candidate. This way I could show a genuine interest in the school and I wasn't pushing for them to hire me for a position. By building a network before positions were posted, they were able to recognize and remember me when I did submit an application.

Other than student teaching and subbing sporadically, I didn't have any experience other than college classes and tutoring.

What are you endorsed in?

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2013

Yes, you'll want to revamp your resume. Figure you'll want it-- and a killer cover letter- ready to send out in about March. I always think that the cover letter is a secret weapon. Too many people have one that's either nondescript or downloaded from the internet. It doesn't showcase all those things that make them unique (how could it under either of those scenarios??) and is a huge opportunity lost.

As far as going school to school-- realize that some (most??) will want you to be fingerprinted to help ensure that your motives are pure. If you can contact a principal, you'll want to know what his/her requirements are in that regard.

11. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Dec 29, 2013

I think the tutoring is just a way to stay involved in education in some way. I'm assuming this person has a credential or they wouldn't be looking for a teaching job.

12. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jan 3, 2014

:thumb: This is possibly the best advice I have read during my time on the boards. Thank you!

13. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jan 9, 2014

K-6th self contained

and to all the others, I appreciate all of your advice....I recently started volunteering at my old Boys and Girls Club of America running an After School homework help group.