Getting back in the field...can someone help?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Aspen, May 16, 2008.

1. Aspen

Aspen New Member

May 16, 2008

Hello Everyone, I am new to the site and think it is great!
    Here is my situation...
    I graduated way back in 2001 but have done nothing in the field with the exception of Subbing (1 year), and I have been tutoring independently. Throughout the years, I have wanted to go back, but never did. Every time I walk into a school (have 3 kids), I get this overwhelming feeling of envy wishing I was in the classroom.
    I am a Secondary Ed. English Major with a minor in Linguistics. I am endorsed to teach Middle School Language Arts and Social Science. I am Highly Qualified under NCLB (that is what the certification system states) in English (9-12), English as a Second Language, Journalism (9-12), Language Arts (1-8), Reading, Speech (9-12), Title 1 Remedial Reading. I have taken 1 class in pursuit of my master's in reading and plan on continuing that in the fall.
    So here are my questions (I would very much so appreciate it if anyone can help me out)...
    Am I dreaming to think I will get a job lol?
    The letters of reference I have are from way back in 2001, will those be considered? Should I use them or get new ones? I don't have any contacts in the field, so where should I seek them (the old one I have are very good)?
    There are quite a few positions available in my area (southwest suburb of Chicago) and I plan on filling out applications for most of them. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Please be honest!!
    Thanks Much

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 18, 2008

I would definitely update your letters of recommendation. I don't think you are dreaming about getting a job, but it might prove to be difficult as many teachers who are currently teaching are struggling to find a job in a different school. You have a lot of areas that you are highly qualified for, which could give you an advantage. But districts may question why its taken you 7 years to go into education...be ready to answer that question. Good luck. Check out the jobseekers area for more help.

4. Aspen

Aspen New Member

May 19, 2008

Thanks

Thank you for your help and encouragement. I am going to jump in with both feet, uncertain of the outcome; but I will do it! If I do not get a full time teaching position, I can sub while getting my Masters in Reading which should help. I started one online application and am going to work on the questions this week. I have a question for all of you...this may be silly, what exactly does the school mean by "student support services"? They want that attributes of and outstanding teacher, then another one of the questions asks for the attributes of "student support services". Are they just asking about the traditional support offered to student (tutor, mentor, after school help, aids)I don't know how the attributes of one would be different from the other. Also, I want to post my resume for critique (should I repost this question and resume elsewhere for additional response):

Student-Focused Educator
    Dedicated to Creating a Positive Learning Environment and Making a Difference in Students’ Lives
    “She is exactly the type of person I would want as a teacher for my own children.”
    -Dr. T*******

Objective
    Seeking a position in Language Arts or English at the Secondary or Middle School level, within a school that would allow me to motivate and challenge students, and allow for continual contribution to the educational community.

Professional Profile
    Dedicated, cooperative, and innovative educator who strives to help students succeed and supports colleagues and administration in facilitating each child’s social and intellectual growth by creating and atmosphere of mutual respect and open communication. Encourages creative thinking and social and intellectual growth. Motivates students so learning will be an enjoyable part of life.

Education
    1998-2001 N** Illinois University-***, Illinois
    Bachelor of Arts in Secondary Education/English Education, December 2001
    Major: Secondary Education/English Education Minor: Linguistics:TESL
    Endorsements: Middle School, Social Science
    NCLB Highly Qualified Subject Areas: English (9-12), English as a Second Language, Journalism (9-12), Language Arts (1-8), Reading, Speech (9-12),
    Title 1 Remedial Reading
    Certificate: Illinois Type 09 Secondary
    Graduated Cum Laude with a GPA of 3.65/4.0
    1995-1998 ***Community College-***, Illinois
    Associates in Arts
    Graduated Magna Cum Laude with a GPA of 3.71/4.0

Teaching Experience
    1999-Present Tutor/Mentor
    Work independently, tutor and mentor children
    2002 Substitute Teacher, ***School District ***-*****, Illinois
    Support a team of administrators, teachers, and support staff in order to serve the educational needs of the students
    2001 Student Teacher, ***Junior High School-*** Illinois
    Observe, assist, and teach 7th grade Language Arts.
    Develop and implement lesson plans, including special projects.
    Active in all academic aspects and various extracurricular activities (specifics available upon request).
    1999-2001 Tutor, ***Elementary School-***, Illinois
    Work with classroom teachers in order to educate students of various abilities.
    1999 Tutor/Mentor, YMCA-***, Illinois

Computer Skills
    Expert user of Windows, Microsoft Word/Works/Excel/Publisher, PowerPoint, Internet, Email, and Grade Machine.
    Ability to quickly learn any technological component.

Foreign Languages
    Fluent in speaking Greek/English

References Available Upon Request

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

Aspen- repost your resume in the jobseekers forum! It will get more visibility there!

Also, student support services could be referring to people who provide additional support, whether they work as child study team members, basic skills instructors, student success advocate, etc.