Getting away from the treasure box

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by gpsysngbrd, Jul 24, 2013.

1. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Jul 24, 2013

In two weeks I will start my new job as a VPK teacher. This isnt "my first time to the rodeo" as I was a Pre-K teacher in Illinois before I moved. In my old class I used coins that could be earned or taken away and then used as money to buy from the school store about once a month. Im not big on the tickets - I used that one year and always found myself saying "take out a ticket"...didnt like that.

While I do like my coin idea I'm considering something possibly less tedious for me...ESPECIALLY getting rid of the school store/treasure box idea. It tends to get expensive and I have to remember to do it.

If you have any ideas please share!

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

In my full day/full year program...I loved using privileges as the reward. We didn't have the chore chart....we had privileges and if you were doing well...great. If you weren't doing well....try again. Anyway, now I am beginning a half day program and will be following this thread. I abhor the treasure box.

4. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Jul 28, 2013

Okay I might have hit on an idea but like most of my ideas I need help "fleshing it out". I've discovered Brag Tags! I've seen a lot of teachers use them to mark students achievements but I thought why not let my students earn them for positive behavior. Just generic designs and colors. Brag Tags I have found on the internet cost a lot of money for several class sets but I think I've figured out how to make my own.

Now how to have them earn them. Sticker chart and then every ten days they stay on green they earn one? Once a month? I thought about having a specific tag the kids could earn each month and some kind of "ceremony" at the end of each month to present the BT to the kids who earn their Brag Tag that month but I'm thinking a month is too long to keep these kids motivated.

Any ideas?

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jul 28, 2013

Just a thought...why use individual rewards at all? Things like sticker charts, stoplights, treasure box, tickets, etc...create a lot of extra work for the teacher, and I'm not sure they 're always necessary. I'm sure you already do, but I've always found that if I spend a while at the beginning of the year teaching rules and modeling appropriate behavior, I've never had the need for behavior systems. If a student has a BIP in place or is exhibiting some behaviors that need attention, ill do an individual sticker chart that only that child can see. I make a big deal about "catching" them following directions and might sneak a sticker on their shirt when I see something extra special. If a kiddo is having a hard time following directions, I typically just use natural consequences and redirection.

Just a thought :)

6. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Jul 28, 2013

A few years ago my class needed some...redirection so my coteacher and I came up with an idea where the whole class together would work to earn something. Well we very quickly realized that some kids work REALLY hard and other kids would reap the benefits. So we went to an individualized system and found that to work SO much better. Its fun to see the kids take pride in having a good day and show their parents and understand the connection between their positive behavior and reward. Will it be that way in the real world? Probably not but in preschool everything has to be BIG!

7. Gimet

Gimet Rookie

Jul 28, 2013

I agree completely! I think having clearly defined expectations of appropriate behavior is important as well as getting in close and personal when redirecting.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2013

I would definitely start out the year trying to do the BragTags daily. In preschool the children still need daily reinforcement for a job well done. Then you can transition to weekly.

In my K-4 building, we still do our rewards weekly.

Something simple that we use with all our students K-8...we give out tickets only for good behavior. We don't take them away ever. Student names are drawn weekly (2-3) and give to the central office where they receive a prize and recognition.

9. melnm

melnm Companion

Jul 29, 2013

I'm another one who doesn't do any sort of reward system. I want my students to learn to do right because it's the right thing to do. I just try to set up good routines and rules at the beginning of the year and model, model, model.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 30, 2013

I never used concrete rewards for PS children.

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2013

I have also never found a need to give individual awards except noticing when children are making good choices and letting them be my helper, line up first, etc. etc. For the most part, they behave because I have formed relationships with them, keep routines, keep them busy and interested. If I am having problems, it is often because I need to tweak my schedule, routines, etc. We also talk about our behaviors as a class. I think rewarding some kids and not others can cause a whole other set of problems.

My food for thought - If a child consistently doesn't get rewards when others do, aren't we already setting them up to think they aren't good, worthy, etc.? If we giving children rewards for things they should do automatically (behave) are we setting precedent for expecting payment for normal, expected behaviors? I don't think there are any perfect answers - just thinking....

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 31, 2013

scmom. Exactly.

13. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 2, 2013

Okay here's another question. I know a lot of teachers do a jar and the student's have to fill it up and then they earn something like ice cream party,pajama day. What sort of things do YOUR students earn???

14. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 4, 2013

I am not a mainstream teacher or thinker ~ but I just don't reward behavior, I expect it. It can't be "bought", bargained, or anything else. It's either followed or not. Granted we do have special days and I will give immediate rewards for those who go above and beyond ... but really we have got to stop raising kids to get "paid" for being good/following the rules. Our society is only getting more and more into "I should get paid for doing that" rather then doing something because it's the right thing to do. Just my :2cents:, but you have my support in getting rid of it!

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 4, 2013

Last year, I did an art party where I brought water colors, foam stickers, etc. They LOVED it, and I felt like it wasn't a total waste of time. I also did a glow stick dance party at the end of the year. At Christmas time we did a cookie decorating party. Once we did a popcorn party - popcorn is a CHEAP prize! You could do a playdough party, a board games party where they bring in their favorite games, a stuffed animal party...just some ideas. :)

As to the original question this year, I did tickets last year where the kids could buy things from the treasure box. Well, like you, I hated the treasure box, so this year I am transitioning to reward coupons. Things like "bring something to share" or "eat lunch with the teacher and a friend" or "spend recess inside" (my kids always want to spend recess inside!) or "extra computer time"...stuff like that. It won't cost me a penny. The coupons will be worth different values.

I don't think I am going to use tickets this year. I am going to use this - it'll be easy to manage and the kids will be able to get some practice counting by 5's.

16. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 4, 2013

The glow stick dance party- LOVE IT! Just opened a box and found 15 TUBES of glow sticks! Also in love with the cookie decorating party. Thanks!

17. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 4, 2013

Not another question but a rant. Went to Michaels and bought what I THOUGHT was a small jar and some marbles. Turns out the flat marbles I picked are smaller then the normal ones and the jar easily holds 100....*sigh* back to the drawing board.

18. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 4, 2013

Glad you like those ideas! :) The glow stick dance party was at the end of the year and the kids ADORED it. It was one of the most fun times we had all year. Such wonderful memories...:wub:

It really is hard to find marbles and jars, isn't it? It's kind of bizarre...