Getting assigned to a school

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by mdwatson, Oct 16, 2008.

1. mdwatson

mdwatson New Member

Oct 16, 2008

Hi everyone, just a quick question I was wondering about: When entering the student teaching phase, who/what decides the school you are assigned to? Can you request to student teach somewhere, or is it just luck of the draw? Thanks!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2008

For my student teaching placement, we had to list our top three districts of choice, and then were placed based off our choices and numbers.

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 16, 2008

It depends on your School of Ed's policy- some allow choices or general areas others are just assigned randomly. Is there someone you can ask at college?

5. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 16, 2008

If you have a teacher already in mind, I would HIGHLY suggest letting them know and try to set a placement with them. YOU DO NOT WANT TO RELY ON THE SCHOOL! It really is the luck of the draw, and most likely you're gonna get stuck with someone you'll detest. I might even have that teacher you have in mind email the placement coordinator and start the process so you don't have any road bumps.

6. mdwatson

mdwatson New Member

Oct 16, 2008

Thanks very much, I'm still in freshman year, so I don't have any education classes, but my sophomore year we start education courses. We do "observations" of a teacher, and are able to request a certain teacher as long as we have confirmation from the schools. I suppose the same goes for actual student teaching in the fourth year, but I was just curious as to how others go about it, to have something to compare to. All the responses are well appreciated, thank you!

7. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Oct 17, 2008

mdwatson - Welcome to A-Z!!!

Check with your advisor; as others have mentioned, it varies from school to school and program to program :)

8. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Oct 17, 2008

my school has an application to student teaching you have to fill out and on there you request your top 3 district choices. my district that I live in has like 12 elementary schools so I will probably get both of my placements in my district. my advisor told me not to request any specific school because chances are they will do everything possible to keep you out of that school to try to protect the integrity of the program just in case you request a school that has a principal that is you friend and you don't get a genuine experience especially since you will be receiving a grade for student teaching. It is generally luck of the draw and I kind of like it like that because it forces you to possibly step out side of you comfort zone and even a bad placement is a good one because you know how you do not want to teach, treat people, run your own class.:)

9. Hello.Mitra

Hello.Mitra Rookie

Oct 17, 2008

I started service learning (the observations you're referring to) this semester. I go to UCF and they provided us with a website that was for a particular county, and had a list of schools which needed student volunteers. I did not see the school I wanted on the website, so I called the school I wanted to do service learning at, and they were more than happy to accept me.

Basically, my professors did not care where I did service learning as long as I completed the required number of hours. I know they said counties out of the one provided may require finger printing, so you might want to look into that, because I think that takes some time to process.

Good luck!

10. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Oct 17, 2008

observations and student teaching are two completely different items though. most schools allow you to choose where you want to observe but student teaching is a class replacement meaning you spend a set amount of time in a classroom or two usually a semester long and that takes the place of you taking classes you actually get school credits for it not just a grade that you get for writing a reflection paper over your 2-4 hours in a class of your choice.so I would be careful trying to request a specific school or teacher to work under because some people can just be awful and think " oh this person as the guts to request specifics for their placement ill teach them" and then you end up getting placed in the worst school in a district or a district that is an hour drive from your house under the grouchiest teacher that they could come up with. I really believe that as far as student teaching you should just go through the steps they give you and be thankful with what you get because student teaching can make or break you.
    I have an example:
    a girl in one of my friends class did her student teaching ear before last and she had a teacher that she did not like the best and as student teachers we are required to keep a day to day journal and in her journal she had written some things about the teacher thinks like she did not like the way she would raise her voice at the kids and such nothing too bad and while the student teacher was with the kids at recess the classroom teacher read the girls journal because she was curious. well needless to say the classroom teacher was mad and she took it to the principal and the girl got kicked out of student teaching.she failed because of that one teacher didn't like her. she had to repeat her whole admission process again and do student teaching again she graduated a year late and then she couldn't get a job in that district because it had gotten spread around . that was the district closest to her she ended up doing her second student teaching in another district to graduate and she works an hour away from her house.
    I don't think it is worth it unless you have specific circumstances like- i have children who go to this school so it would be good if i could be placed at a school close by so that I can drop them off at the bus room of their school on my way to my placement. that type is the only way I would risk it.

11. KLP1220

KLP1220 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008

It definitely varies! Where I go to school there is an office of clinical experiences that does all practicum placements and internship placements. You're never allowed to set up your own practicum placement and internship placement. For the most part with practicums you get little choice but there is more choice for the internship. You can choose within three school districts and we actually get to pick our top three grades. They really do try hard to place you in at least your first or second choice. Rarely do they have to go to a third. I was able to get in the county and grade level of my choice. It still is a tough waiting game though!