Getting Anxious...

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by AZMrs.S, Jun 15, 2011.

1. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 15, 2011

Hello all.

I will be signing my contract for my first teaching job within the week. The last time I was at the school the principal quickly took me to my future classroom... I didn't have much time to look around. But I am getting anxious as I didn't see many manipulatives and other materials that you would expect the school to provide... I will be going back in tomorrow to try and figure out what is there and what are some prioty things that I will need to find.

Anyone else already nervous for next year? What are some of your top priorities of things that you are preparing this summer? Vetran teachers what are the few priority things I should work on accumulating? I feel like there is so much I should be doing... but I just don't know where to start...:help:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2011

Congrats and good luck! You'll probably find more than you think available. If nothing is in the room, ask the principal is there is anything you should have.

I would work on gathering a library of books for reading. For math, definitely get a class set of base ten blocks, maybe some decks of cards or dice. For writing, fun paper and colored pens or stamps or other writing utensils.

You'll probably want a globe and map for social studies.

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 15, 2011

When I was hired, my room had basic furniture (desks, chairs, bookcase) and a stapler that didn't work. So I would contact the principal or secretary or another teacher to find out exactly what you will have available. Books are a definite need, as well as the base ten blocks that Mopar mentioned. After I think on it a little bit, I'll probably come up with more.

Congrats

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 15, 2011

Breathe! :D It is very overwhelming to get your new room. Every time I've switched jobs it's like starting new again. :hugs:

If you haven't read Wong's "First Days" I would do that first. It will help you think through procedures & spaces you'll need in your room.

I wouldn't worry too much yet about the manipulaitives. You may be able to borrow from other teachers or even make your own once you realize what you need. You also may be given a small budget to purchase the most essential things.

Congrats and good luck! :D

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2011

Stuff is just stuff.

As long as there's a place for all the kids to sit, some books, and something you can write on and with (whiteboard? Blackboard??) you're good to go.

Throw in a summer of internet access, and some yard sales along the way, and you'll be fine.

7. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 15, 2011

Thank you all for the advice. I am just getting ahead of myself. I am just so excited and the thought of an empty classroom is a bit overwhelming. The only other thing that makes me nervous is I can't borrow from another teacher, as I will most likely be the only second grade teacher (its a very small school). Thanks again for the advice!

8. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

Here's a list I made once of stuff I needed in my classroom. Maybe it will help.

tons of pens
    Dry Erase Markers
    Vis-a-Vis Markers
    small fridge
    electric pencil sharpener
    desk organizer
    stapler
    3 hole punch
    CD Player and classical CD's
    digital timer
    plants
    label maker
    tons of storage bins
    ibuprofen
    hand sanitizer
    deodorant
    air freshener
    extra shirt
    band aids

9. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jun 17, 2011

Woohooo and congrats on your job! I remember this time last year I was just in the interview phase and shortly after a whirlwind of events found out I was hired. First breath! What helped me to organize my thoughts and things I wanted for the class, I joined this blog, and begin to fill up a 3 ring binder with work sheets, songs, activities, arts and crafts, list of books.

As well as a section that had questions about everything I could possibly thing of to ask co-workers, the principal, human resources... etc. As they were answered I checked them off.

I also began to frequent yardsales and thrift stores and stocked up on the essentials. As well as books! Books and more BOOKS! Donorschoose.org was a life saver with getting books for my class as well as discount bookstores! Good luck!

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 17, 2011

I'm ending my third year and it still feels like I'm a novice in many ways. My biggest suggestion to you is to find a mentor, whether one is assigned or you are lucky enough to find an experienced teacher willing to dish out the advice. There are a lot of inner workings of a school that you might miss if someone isn't there to point out and translate the messages.

You got this position because you were the best fit for the school. Keep that in mind.

11. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 17, 2011

I am always visiting GoodWill stores. I acquired an amazing number of books one summer. A family either donated all their kids' books or a teacher retired and donated her library. For about $20 or so I had a great start to my library. I've also gotten games. I teach 8th grade LA, and I use Scrabble games at various times. I just grabbed what they had, sorted the tiles and ended up with a couple of full games and many replacement tiles! I worried about getting "stuff" my first year too. I actually created many of my own things based on internet info and info from books. I ditto the suggestion to read Harry Wong's book. His web site is also helpful. Just google Harry Wong. I forget what the actual name of the site is.

Congrats and good luck!

12. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 17, 2011

Thank you all! I have spent some more time and I have a ton of paper resources in the room to go through... But these tips are helpful! I am excited to get started! :)

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 18, 2011

Another poster mentioned a list of things. Use that list and keep your receipts. They are a tax deduction. Harry Wong is also a good place to start.

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 18, 2011

I am in the same boat. I am going to a grade I did not student teach in, so I'm overwhelmed in general. When I did my long-term sub position the emergency things I got at the teacher store were: sentence strips, dry erase markers, paper (all kinds), pencils, stickers, and a chart for behavior management.

For fall I am really trying to find books. I think I'll be okay with office supplies, manipulatives, and classroom decor things, but I'm totally freakin' out about the library. I dream of a really glorious library with thousands of books. It's my favorite part of the classroom. :)

15. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Jun 25, 2011

I am in the same boat!! I will be a first year teacher, also. I have been reading The First Days of Schools, and it will help also if you go the website. They have resources to go along with the chapters on "displine". www.effectiveteaching.com Thanks, everyone for posting your suggestions, this info. is very valuable

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 25, 2011

Your classroom management and procedures need to be thought out as that will make a huge difference in classroom climate. Get a yearlong scope and sequence/curriculum map so you can start searching for lesson ideas.

Decide on how you are going to organize your classroom library, and how you want the children to use it.