Getting all of my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bros, Feb 1, 2014.

1. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 1, 2014

No pain, but my dentist and the oral surgeon I was referred to wanted them out, because they are on a collision course with my non-wisdom teeth. Two impacted, two partially erupted.

I'll be going to a nearby medical center where my neurologist has privileges. My cardiac electrophysiologist has set the cardiac protocol that is to be followed before/during/after the surgery along with information on what I can and cannot be given.

I'll be anesthetized, which is a very good thing.

Then I get to deal with the pain! That should be.. interesting. Especially since I won't be able to use a straw to drink - I don't do well with drinking out of a glass, usually when tired or when I just get up, because of my motor issues, sometimes my mouth will just let go. But yeah.

I plan on getting a bunch of ice cream, pudding, and jello this weekend.

Any tips for other good things to get? I can't lose too much weight by eating nothing - i'm only 105 lbs.

Oh, the surgery is on Tuesday. It was supposed to be Thursday (the 6th), but the oral surgeon called earlier today to reschedule to Tuesday (the 4th). That was fun.

Tomorrow, I need to make sure I have numbing cream (a local anesthetic I apply to my arms before a blood test, because I am *really* sensitive to pain).

3. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Feb 1, 2014

Sounds like you are prepared. I do think getting them out when you're younger (if necessary)is a good idea. I had mine done in my 20's-long time ago. No fun, but it was supposed to avoid problems later on...
    Since drinking may be a problem, can you add things to your soft foods?(I am thinking nutrients,supplements, etc.) I know I have added Benefiber, chia, etc. to puddings. That may give you some extra nutrition so you don't lose too much weight. (That wasn't a problem for me:lol:) I hope it all goes well and you recover quickly.:)

4. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 1, 2014

It's honestly different for everyone. My recovery was an absolute nightmare but I knew a girl in high school that was able to eat normal food that evening.

Other food ideas: smooth/blended soups (like tomato) that you can eat with a spoon, broth, fruit and/or veggie smoothies (can also use a spoon). Most people are also fine with soft but not liquid foods, like soups with noodles and thoroughly cooked veggies in them.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2014

The worst part of my experience was discovering that I can't take codeine--it make me terribly sick. Once I switched to a pain-killer that I could tolerate, I was okay. I had soft foods (soups, milkshakes, pudding, applesauce) for about a week, and had some pretty significant swelling and bruising, but my recovery was pretty smooth.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2014

Instant mashed potatoes
    Yogurt
    Soup
    Smoothies-make with protein powder

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 1, 2014

For fluids, freeze Gatorade until partially frozen, blend it until it's like a slushie, then use a spoon.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 1, 2014

I had mine out at 13. I had an extra wisdom tooth, and all were impacted. I was out with an IV, and it wasn't bad. I ate soft foods for a couple of days, but I only took one pain pill. I hate pain meds. I have a high tolerance for pain, though.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 1, 2014

I'm going to err on the side of caution and assume my recovery will be rather uncomfortable - I tend to recover slowly from most anything.

Thanks for the tips.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2014

Get some type of ice packs to help with swelling. I had only 2 wisdom teeth. I went dancing next day! My sis had 3 and missed 3 days of work...so you never know. I had mine out before Easter...Easter dinner was really soft shells & cheese that could be eaten easily. What about some baby foods...there are some good ones and at least the are pureed already like Hawaiian delight!! LOL They make some puffs that pretty much melt in your mouth apple cinnamon or banana. Just trying to help ya with stuff other than pudding!!! LOL.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 1, 2014

I don't have any tips really because my wisdom teeth removal went flawlessly & w/o any pain/discomfort/complications. I didn't even need to take the pain med that was prescribed to me for afterwards.

All I can say is eat easy foods a few days afterwards. I hope things go well! :thumb:

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2014

I really liked using bags of frozen peas as ice packs...it molded to my face better than the gel ones.

13. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Feb 1, 2014

Don't eat pudding. It's a lot harder to get off the spoon than you probably realize...I thought it would be a good idea, nice soft food. Yeah. It's like super glue on a spoon. In order to get it off, your mouth has to contort into positions that will make you cry. At least, it did me.

14. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 1, 2014

Another tip that comes to mind. Make sure not to take the pain meds on an empty stomach. The last thing you need is nausea and vomiting while you're recovering. Good nutrition will help you recover faster anyway.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2014

That sounds like some crazy pudding.:eek:hmy:

16. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 2, 2014

I usually use my tongue to get it off the spoon.

Nausea and vomiting would also be bad when combined with my seizure meds.

A bit.

My mom also got some chocolate mousse.

Going to go to the supermarket tomorrow.