Getting access to an iPad mini this year. What should I do with it?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by S Dubb, Aug 6, 2014.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Aug 6, 2014

Second grade teacher here. I just found out today that I'm getting an iPad mini to use in my classroom this year, so it's not a class set--just an individual one for the teacher. Any ideas on what I could do with this? I was thinking I could incorporate it somehow during my guided reading, but I'm not sure how. What about during other centers where I'm with a small group?

How about non-academic uses (like ClassDojo)? Is there any type of way, app or otherwise, where I could use it to check off who did their homework each day?

I'm really excited for this opportunity. Now I just need ideas! I know you creative folks will have some great ones!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2014

I used it as a Daily 5 choice (computers was one, too). They could play a selected game, or they could record theirselves reading.
    If I had an early finished, I often let them play math fact games.

There are apps similar to an EZ-Grader that I would use. Apps that pick a name, like drawing popsicle sticks.

4. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 6, 2014

I want to keep an eye on this thread, I'll have a regular ipad this year and I'm not exactly sure what to do with it, either. I can't wait to read the suggestions!

5. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 7, 2014

My favorite go to apps when working with small groups are
    Winning Words (a collection of apps for synonyms, antonyms, homophones)
    Educreations
    Endless Reader and Endless ABC
    Sushi Monster
    Addimals
    Tap Roulette- Not academic based, but a fun way for students to see who will go first when answering a question or playing games.

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 8, 2014

I went to a PD this summer where the teacher did "Reading Confessionals." Kids used the iPad to videotape themselves reading out loud and discussing a story. Great for fluency and comprehension monitoring.

7. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Aug 10, 2014

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions so far! I really like the reading confessionals/self reading recording idea.

8. Rox

Rox Cohort

Aug 11, 2014

I do the "reading confessionals" too, albeit with a different name. I love it and I think it really helps my students.

There are some two- and four-player games where the kids sit around the iPad and play a game and compete with each other.

Do you have a projector? You can show or draw pictures for the class.

You can make a Google Form to check off who has completed assignments.