Getting a ticket

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 19, 2010

I've had a few parking tickets of course, but my only moving violation was 13 years ago for speeding. What about you? 'Fess up! :lol:

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 19, 2010

My one and only speeding ticket where I was stopped by an officer was around 1997. My last photo radar speeding ticket was around 2003 -- I think I got around 3 of them that year:whistle: I can't afford speeding tickets anymore, so I am a more cautious driver (no more than 10 over the speeding limit:lol:)

4. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 19, 2010

hee hee When I first bought my "muscle car" I received a speeding ticket pretty much right off the bat. My old car was only 185 hp and then my "new" one went up to 215hp. Needless to say, when I took the off ramp....it got up and went = ) oops. However, I got out of it because the judge didn't believe that the cop's radar reached as far as it said it did.

A week later (to the day) I was coasting down a hill. In the middle of the hill was a lower speed limit of 10 miles lower. An SUV was apparently blocking the sign as I didn't see it (I remember passing it) I thought the decreased speed limit was at the bottom of the hill. I was nailed for a ticket anyway.

When I first moved to AZ, I had 3 tickets on my record from back home heh My insurance was still low. I'm sure one of them dropped off by now though.

Ever since I first started driving I *think* I've had 5 speeding tickets. I like to go fast lol

5. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 19, 2010

When I was 20, I did a rolling stop through a stop sign in the community college parking lot on a Sunday morning. There were only 3 classes in session that day, it was soooo empty, I didn't see the cop behind the hedge. I guess that was the point. That's it. I'm a great driver! :thumb::lol:

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 19, 2010

I have a LOT of police officer friends. So, the number of times I've been pulled over does not match the number of times I've actually had a ticket stick. I had one ticket, in a jurisdiction where I had no police friends, about 4 years ago, for running a red light (it wasn't red, it was yellow.....geesh), and the last one before that was in 1997, I think.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 19, 2010

Speaking of yellow lights, what's the law? I think you're okay to run a yellow unless you speed up to beat the red, right? Or are you absolutely supposed to stop at yellow unless it means slamming on the brakes?

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 19, 2010

It's a judgement call. When the light turns yellow, you're supposed to slow down and stop, unless you don't have enough space to stop safely. The amount of space required, of course, has a lot to do with the size of the vehicle you're driving, and your speed. In general, the yellow lights are timed so that most passenger cars, driving at the speed limit, can get completely through before the light turns red, if they're in that "zone" when the light turns yellow. In my case, I was going more than the speed limit, and was still far enough back to have stopped. I was rushing between jobs. My bad. I probably deserved that ticket, at least for the Karma of getting out of so many others.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 19, 2010

We have red light cameras now:(. I think they photograph you if you are going a certain speed through a yellow light. I believe that if you have crossed the stop line or if it is unsafe to stop that you can go through a yellow light.

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 19, 2010

Yellow light...
    point of no return. If it's a stale yellow light you need to approach with caution. You NEVER go over the speed limit when going through a yellow light. If it just changed yellow and you stop, you are breaking the law as well. When your car reaches the point of no return and it turns red you are fine. This is what was taught in my Driver's Ed class.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 19, 2010

When I was 19, I got a ticket for running a red light right past a police car. I pretty much ran the light and then pulled over because I knew I was screwed. Most recent time I was pulled over, the officer noticed I had no cruise control and a slight case of road hypnosis, so he let me off with a warning to check my speed every five minutes.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2010

We don't have any of those video or photo devices here, and we don't have meters and things to worry about either, so that helps. ;)

When I was a teenager I was cited during a road block for having expired tags. My parents never taught me I had to renew those annually, and while I'm sure the county clerk sent a postcard reminder, I'm also sure my parents didn't see that I got my mail. I had no earthly idea. Annoying. I don't like to claim that ticket even though I know ignorance isn't an excuse, but gosh golly parents need to tell their children some things they won't otherwise know. :)

I have one "legitimate" ticket for speeding. I needed to get home for lady reasons after a staff meeting...I was speeding, pure and simple. Small town, so I just went to the police station and he told me what I needed to do so I wouldn't have to pay anything or lose points.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 19, 2010

In 1995 (19 yrs old) I got a speeding ticket on the back road my parents lived on. Two years later I got a speeding ticket on another back road I was going eight over. That one was dropped (had a friend in the department). The next was a ticket in Cape Cod for passing on the right. There was two lanes (on my side) I didn't realize you couldn't pass on the rt in MA.
    I was stopped by a cop in Long Beach WA but didn't get a ticket (1999). And my last ticket was fall of 2001 speeding on the turnpike.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 19, 2010

You're so lucky! Whenever I go through a yellow light I'm always looking in my rearview mirror to see if there was a camera flash. I can't trust any vehicle parked on the side of the road nowadays. The police dept. are now driving around in unmarked, older pick up trucks to catch speeders on the highway.

15. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 19, 2010

That reminds me. We have cabs that look like cop cars! I believe they bought out old police cars with the things in the front of the car (the bumper things or whatever) and they have the spot lights, though I don't think they are ever used. I always thought that was illegal to "look" like a cop car.....

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

I've had one speeding ticket (50 km/hr in a 40 km/hr zone) and that was probably 30 years ago. I've been lucky--I drive over the speed limit now more often than I did then.

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2010

I got a few when I was younger. One was when I was going to visit a guy I was dating. He was in the Army and leaving for Iraq in an hour. The other one was when I went under a bridge and the speed limit changed. I wasn't from the area and didn't see it-I was just going the same speed as everyone else. I'm pretty careful now-I'm incredibly cheap and don't want to waste my money on speeding tickets!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 19, 2010

I've been driving for 20 yrs & can honestly say I've gotten 4 tickets in my life (all moving violations) & then 1 was a ticket on a univ campus for supposedly not parking in the right place, but I contested it & didn't hv to pay it.

I haven't gotten a tick in yrs, but did run a red lt this wk. I hope the camera doesn't send me a ticket.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 19, 2010

I've only gotten one ticket. That was in 2006. I have gotten pulled over a few times but they let me go.

20. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2010

1986--got a ticket in Colfax, Wa. (known speed trap). Two days later, my car got broken into and my purse with the ticket inside was stolen....but it was found the next day.....

1997 got pulled over in Lakewood Wa by a Tacoma cop. I was only doing 64 in a 60mph and he came tearing out after me. I thought it was weird cuz he came to the car with his hand on his gun like he was going to draw on me. I was driving a mini van. He was very very rude. I thought it was strange so my husband called the Tacoma police the next day. He described the cop and the car ( the cop was wearing a bicycyle uniform and had an old car with an old boxy type light bar that none of the other cars had) The dept. had no record of the traffic stop, and they said that they don't have any bicycle uniforms nor did any current cars have the old style light bars. And at the time of the stop, they didn't have any cars in the area. Two weeks later, he was arrested for impersonating a cop and raping and assulting women he pulled over. I had a passenger in the car so that saved my life!!!!!:eek:

2007 got a speeding ticket for 10 over and one week later got a ticket for expired tabs.

2010 got pulled over for expired tabs AGAIN, but only got a warning

21. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Sep 19, 2010

I've never gotten a ticket of any kind.

My DH, on the other hand, is another story. He's even been pulled over by the same cop on the same highway within an hour.

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2010

I have never had a ticket or been pulled over and I have had a license since 1972. However, I am one of those "old lady drivers" who drive the speed limit, so I'm guessing that's why policemen never give me a second glance.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 19, 2010

I'm a much better driver here, than I ever was in Miami. Drivers in Miami are insane. There were often times when I had to drive far more aggressively than I wanted to because of the behavior of others on the road (like when somebody's barreling up on you at 100mph and you have to cut somebody off to avoid getting rear ended). It just sort of became a habit. Now that I'm somewhere that drivers aren't completely insane, I find myself far more laid back behind the wheel.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

I've only gotten 3 tickets: one for not wearing a seat belt after after the law was changed. I was in high school and it was my first ticket. It was dismissed b/c my mom's boss was a lawyer and I was on my way to her work after school. The second one was for speeding through a known speed trap, but I honestly was past the speed limit sign and was accelerating up to highway speed. The cop actually pulled two of us over at the same time. The last one was last year and was a moving violation. I went straight from a turn only lane. I really did try to move over, but no one would let me in and the cars behind me were starting to honk. Didn't cross my mind to turn and then just turn back around.

Ok: question. With guys out there impersonating cops, they tell you to call the police dept and check to make sure that it really is a cop if they are in an unmarked car. Well, that could take some time, so if it actually is a cop, do you think they will take that into account?

25. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 19, 2010

At age 14 I was caught speeding, racing, outside of city limits, after curfew, with no adult passenger. That resulted in a hefty fine and the loss of my driver's permit for 2 years. AND, my father not speaking to me for 2 months -- it was the first and only major screw up in my teenage years.

Since then, over the last 20 years, I've been pulled over for speeding close to 20 times but never received a ticket.

In my area, we don't have any freeways or interstates, only state highways and country roads.

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2010

I got my one and only ticket last year, right at the end of the school year. DH and I were in a nearby town, and there was NOBODY on the road except us. I was driving a new vehicle . . . and I had no idea I was going that fast. I was going 73 in a 55. Oops! My old car was a V6, and the new one is a V8 . . . so I was going faster more quickly that I anticipated.

I did get a ticket, but he marked it down to 70 in a 55 so I could prepay it and not have to go to traffic school. It cost me $271. I was also really embarrassed. Seems like no matter how you answer their questions, the answers sound silly.

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

I thought, for a minute, that this thread had jinxed me--there was a policeman with a radar gun on the side of the road when I just dropped Lauren off for soccer practice. He was near the corner where I need to turn, so I had slowed down instead of going my usual 10km/hr over along that stretch.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

I started driving in 1975.

I've gotten 2 parking tickets.

That's it.

And I'm pretty sure I've just spit into the wind.

29. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 19, 2010

I have been driving for 10 years.

I was pulled over this summer for the first time ever, and received a hefty speeding ticket.

30. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Sep 19, 2010

Exactly my story, except I've been driving since 1976. I'm the one in the mini van, in the slow lane, going the speed limit.

31. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2010

That's what just chaps my hide!!! I'm normally the one driving exactly the speed limit or 1 or 2 mph over. On the three times I went over, I got caught!! Really??? I never speeed!! Three times I try to speed....wham!

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2010

On a couple of our local highways, if you're diving the speed limit, you'd better be on the shoulder, because even the tractor-trailers will be zipping by you in the slow lane! :haha:

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2010

Oh, I'm not. I'm not going crazy fast, but it's probably not the speed limit.

I'm the one in the mini van in the center lane, keeping pace iwth the traffic, going 5-8 miles above the speed limit.

34. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2010

And I'm the one right on your tail.

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2010

Oh, that was YOU?? :p

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2010

Thanks for not slamming on the brakes! :lol::lol:

37. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2010

And I'm the one slowing down below the speed limit to get you to go around me so when I get hit by you, the impact won't be as severe. :whistle:

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2010

Nah, I've seen Mrs. C drive; she doesn't tailgate.

39. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2010

I'm the one that's in the other lane keeping pace with yall! Man you guys drive fast! :lol:

40. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 20, 2010

Been driving 43 years and have only gotten one ticket. I sped up to pass a slow moving truck before we dropped down to one lane and got nailed by the cops. Oh well, I don't believe how high above the speed limit people drive. Sorry, but you are endangering my life!!:eek:

41. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2010

About 20 km/hr (12 miles/hr) over is pretty typical in the centre lane on the major highways around here.