getting a teaching job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by engelashley, Apr 9, 2009.

1. engelashley

engelashley New Member

Apr 9, 2009

For those of you out there that have been hired for teaching jobs. What would you say helped you best in your process to be hired. I understand who you know really helps. But what if you were in an area you werent from and didnt have many connections. I've read books on how to make your resume and cover letter stand out, is there anything else I can do to land a teaching job in this competitive economy? Thanks for any advice! :)

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2009

my advice is just know your stuff. Be able to tell them. Practice. I went to job fairs and pounding the pavement. I finally stumbled across a school that was in need. I knew my stuff and was able to articulate it.

BTW - You can "know your stuff" and not be good at communicating it. Practicing helped me feel more comfortable expressing myself.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 9, 2009

I got my job by adding on a certification to my elementary degree. I knew getting an el ed job in PA would be extremely difficult, so I considered what else I'd want to teach. I thought FACS sounded interesting, so I found some teachers in the field and chatted with them. The more I learned, the more I realized it was a perfect fit for me. So I took and passed the Praxis. This past summer when I was job hunting I had 0 interviews for elementary and I think 6 or 7 for FACS. I was hired for a job in FACS before I even got an interview for el ed.

So, for me getting a job meant getting an add-on in an area that's much less competitive than el ed. This is certainly not something that would work for everybody, because maybe your main certification is the only thing you want to teach. I'm very glad I did it though and have no plans on seeking an el ed job as I love teaching FACS.

(FACS by the way is Family and Consumer Sciences, what most of us called Home Ec when we had it, although the standards have changed some over the years.)

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Apr 9, 2009

I get dressed to the nines in my pink suit, walk-in my resume and ask to speak to the principal. Yes I look like a Mary Kay saleslady but it certainly makes me memorable.

Also on my resume I have my testing data. This is big in Florida because of FCAT.

6. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Apr 10, 2009

I researched the school thouroughly! I attended the workshops that were the buzz at the school I am working it. There are tons of teachers and sometimes administrators at the workshops. My current principal was at this particular workshop last summer. I walked right over and sat at his table. I subbed and then called the principal every two weeks in the summer. I took what I could get and landed a K 1 2 Reading position this year. Two weeks into the job, the principal asked if I would become Reading Recovery trained. The school paid 4,000 to train me- and I am only half time. I just went through the entire interview process at this school for a K 1 or 2 classroom position and will find out next week. Our contract changed this year and allowed principals to interview outside and inside at the same time. No longer do the jobs go to the inside first-even though it has to be posted inside. This is good news for outside people! 12 people they know were interviewed for 3 positons.They interviewed two long term subs and then outside people and myself. My goal was always to get in the classroom, but my foot in the door was taking this job. Be flexible! Take what you can get to get in. I got my interview prior to this one by asking for a tour of the school. I called and asked for the tour, went on the tour, and then was called for an interview. In my case, I have really had to work at getting the interview and a foot in the door. I don't think one will just get in by sending in Aps, and packets. It takes work! My principal just told me I would go full time next year regardless of if I get one of K 1 or 2 jobs. As an insider, it can be VERY political as I am finding out this year. WE already know that one of our long term subs is getting one of the jobs. She even said the Super told her she pretty much had to really bomb the interview NOt to get it. Is this fair? No! However, it is how it works in the real world. I think she is wonderful however and am pulling for her to get one of the jobs. The good news is---If our district was able to change the contract to giving the principal the right to NOt hire within first, then it gives the outside people a better chance. Do whatever it takes to get that foot in the door!

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 10, 2009

Do you use Facebook or LinkdIn? You don't have to personally know anyone to have that "in." Most times, it is an acquaintance that makes your connection. Or a friend-of-a-friend. Post that you're looking for a job in the particular area and see who comes to your support.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2009

I research the school and prepare myself. I dress nicely, bring my potfolio, and bring my confidence!

9. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 11, 2009

Smile! I always know I did a good smiling when I get in my car and see my smile lines.

Like leigh said, bring your portfolio, dress nicely (suit with a bright shirt), and be confident! Always answer a question with an anecdote!

With the portfolio... whip it out! I was in an interview yesterday and they asked me about differentiation. I started talking about my literacy work stations so I flipped to that page in my portfolio and passed it to one of the teachers. The teachers passed my portfolio around and flipped through the whole thing. The portfolio is a great way for them to see what you do in your classroom. Be sure to include PLENTY of pictures!

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 11, 2009

Are you willing to move?

Also, make an awesome portfolio that really demonstrates what you know and your philosophy. Look for districts and schools that match up to your style, make yourself known at the school by subbing and volunteering, hand deliver your resume.

11. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Apr 11, 2009

1) Great References
    2) Calling the Principal or the person in charge of hiring for the position and expressing your interest in the position.
    3) Being well dressed and confident in the interview
    4) Having unique and diverse experiences. Before this position I was a sub, taught at a 7-9 school, a K-9 school with Old Colony Mennonites, a 7-12 First Nations Reserve High School.
    5) Have unique SKILLS - I speak French, Spanish and Plautdiestch.
    6) Have a great portfolio and USE it DURING the interview. Interviews are SHORT and they don't have time to look through your portfolio, so you have to make sure to show it off by using the artifacts in your portfolio to answer questions.
    7) Be engaging - I regularly take what is supposed to be a 30 minute interview and stretch it to an hour - and no one is bored!
    8) Always ask questions about the division, city, or the school itself, but make sure you have done some research, because that demonstrates active interest.

12. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Apr 12, 2009

Good for you. I think your pink suit signifies self-confidence!

13. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 12, 2009

Enthusiasm!

I helped interview for a new teacher at my grade level last year. The one who got the job was the one who very obviously loved teaching. She was bubbly and full of great ideas, both ideas she had tried during student and ones she couldn't wait to get started on with her next classroom.

It was contagious. She left the room and the assistant principal and I both jumped up and down with excitement at the thought of working with her.

I also think the idea of getting to know the school is a very good one. When I got my first job the principal was very impressed that I had taken the time to find out about the programs they use and statistics about the student population.