getting a roommate?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Superteacher81, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

Ok, here's the deal: I lived with a boyfriend for the past year. The relationship didn't work out, so now I am looking for a place on my own. The problem is that I really can't afford to live on my own in the area that I want to live in. I just figured I'd keep looking and my friend suggested I get a roommate. I am very anti-roommate just because I like my own space, my own stuff, and freedom to do whatever I want. I am 26 and feel like I'm past the whole roommate thing. I always thought I'd be married by now and I feel like looking for a roommate is kind of a step back in life when I already feel behind. I reluctantly signed up for roommates.com and I've gotten a few e-mails but nothing promising. So, I'm kind of down and out about what to do. Should I keep looking for something I can afford? Should I continue the roommate search even though I'd prefer not to have one? Have you used roommates.com or known anyone that has? Any words of encouragement or advice is welcome! Thanks!:)

3. cameroncrazie

cameroncrazie Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

if you already know that having a roommate isn't the way you want to go, i wouldn't get one. just keep looking for something you can afford. i have a friend who is very independent but got a roommate to help out with finances. they ended up not being friends, it was a bad situation. i have other friends that have gone through the same thing. i've never used roommates.com but i would be very skeptical aout it.
    you never know, you may find something in a different area, for a little less money, and end up LOVING it!
    good luck

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2007

I agree. First try to find a place that you can afford on your own. I also value privacy, especially after a long day surrounded by 30 kids in a small compact room.

5. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 14, 2007

I would not get a roommate. I feel it's worth the extra expense to not have to worry about anyone messing with my stuff, my dogs, or me.

6. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 14, 2007

I agree with the others. If you feel really hesitant about getting a roommate, keep looking for someplace you can afford. It would probably be worth it to do so.

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2007

I would not want to live alone, but that is just me....I hate when my husband is away for work...the first night is ususally okay ( a little alone time is good) but after a few days I get lonely!
    But if you like living alone (lots of people do!) they try to make it work- money wise.....

8. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 19, 2007

I completely understand what you are saying about feeling over the whole "roommate" thing. I used roommate.com back in 2000 and used it for a couple years. I was renting a house with my boyfriend at the time and we had two additional rooms we needed to fill. I wish I could say only "normal" people lived with me during that time....but that isn't the case. :rolleyes:

However, I did find a couple of good roommates. My advice is if you CANNOT find a place to rent on your own (I know there is no way I could live alone on my salary) than do your research. Meet these people you are considering - go to lunch or something. Ask them questions (and tell them it will be so much easier if they are just honest) - do they clean up after themselves? Do they bring home strangers and have them spend the night? Do they have crazy ex boyfriend or girlfriend? Anything you can think of - ask. Find someone who is on your level - a working professional. Perhaps someone who has a boyfriend of girlfriend and may not be around a lot. Settle on a time frame for the lease that you both will try your best to meet.

And I'll admit - I have a fondness for roommate.com - that is how I met my boyfriend of 5 years. :p

Good luck!!

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 19, 2007

Hmmm... I am looking for ... a boyfriend ;) . roommate.com, here I come!:p

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 19, 2007

Get references, and check them!

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 19, 2007

I could have written your post four months ago, except that I'm 28. I never thought I could afford my own place either, but I found a killer deal on Craigslist and now I have my own place and I'm SO SO glad I didn't cave in and get a roommate. Good luck! I'm able to afford it mostly because it's small and they were asking very little because they were having trouble finding a tenant (but now that I'm living here it's perfect). There is also gas included in the rent which makes it feasible. I think the financial burden is worth my sanity. I really hate roommates.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2007

I think I would try networking before the internet.

Tell everyone you know that you're looking for a roommate (I mean everyone: the guy at the drycleaners, your mechanic, everyone.)

Even if there are a few layers between you and the people you meet, at least someone you know can vouch for the fact that they're not psychos.

That's how I found the woman who babysits my kids: the mom of one of Brian's classmates knows her. And she's a gem!!

13. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions. I am still looking for a place and I really, really, really hope I don't have to cave in and get a roommate for financial purposes. It's so expensive to live on your own! I hope I find a good deal just like you did pisces fish.