Getting a puppy!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Sarah5483, May 31, 2009.

1. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

May 31, 2009

I am getting a 7.5 week old German Shorthaired Pointer puppy in exactly a week! I am so VERY excited! I've only ever owned adult dogs, so a puppy is brand new to me. I read a book on getting a new puppy and watched a couple DVDs.... but just wondering if you have any advice for me!! Thanks... I can't wait! :)

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 31, 2009

Ooooh! A puppy.
    Our first dog was almost an adult. I had the summer to work with her. Our second dog was a puppy and we found her at the beginning of the school year. I thought it might be bad timing, but we did crate training from day 1 and she did wonderful. She has NEVER had an accident in the house or her crate.

Obedience training is worth the time.

Build walks into your daily routine.

I'm so crazy about our 2 dogs.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 31, 2009

We got our puppy about a month ago. Jasmine is a "Jug": a Jack Russel Terrier/ Pug mix. She's adorable, very high energy, and very smart.

The crates are a great idea. Ours is in a larger pen in the kitchen. Outside the crate is a puppy housebreaking pad and a few toys. She's had maybe 1 or 2 accidents, total, ever. She learned very quickly to use the pads; once school ends (now that the weather is nicer) we'll get her more used to going outside instead.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 31, 2009

Oh, Aliceacc, I've never seen a jug, but I can imagine. How sweet! Our Boo is a terrier mix (she looks like a forever lab puppy). She is the smartest and love-i-est dog I've ever met.

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 31, 2009

Buy toys made out of different kinds of material for different purposes like rubber, something plush without stuffing is ideal, chew sticks, etc keep an eye on your puppy since dogs usually tear up some toys and you don't want them to swallow something they're not supposed to have. Also, it's a good idea to go through your place now and make sure it's "puppy" proof since he/she is going to explore!

7. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 31, 2009

Read The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete. Great perspective on dog training - not based on treats or clickers, just pure dog psychology and common sense (think Cesar Milan).

8. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 31, 2009

We have had our puppy for two months and it is a lot of work. Make sure that you puppy proof your house and also learn to not become attached to furniture. Our puppy chews everything and loves the taste of the bitter apple so we have had a hard time.

I heard somewhere (here?) that you are either a dog person or a furniture person:)

9. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

May 31, 2009

Have you had success with it? The book I read was exactly the treats/clicker method, which makes sense to me, but seems like a lot of work and you have to be "on" 100% of the time.

10. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

May 31, 2009

I do like my furniture but my husband would probably be more than happy to have it chewed up... it is a deep purple / plum color. :)

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 1, 2009

What an exciting fun time! I remember when I picked up my Boston Terrier puppy from the breeder on a Sat. This was my first puppy as an adult.

All I can say is, enjoy those puppy mos because they go by too fast! Also take tons of pictures & get your puppy used to having his paws touched & handled because it makes nail clipping that much easier.

12. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 1, 2009

I would suggest:

1. Get things for him to chew on, so he doesn't chew YOUR stuff!
    2. Feeding schedules are important...because usually peeing/pooing revolves around eating so getting him on a schedule will pinpoint when you should take him out! Also after waking up and playing.
    3. Train him the basics and be consistent!! :)

Good Luck! What a fun time!