Getting a portfolio together

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by NCP, Jan 1, 2006.

1. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jan 1, 2006

I have let mine slip for the past two years and am in the process of getting it together for the upcoming hiring season. Aside from certificates, transcripts and resume, what other artifacts can I include? Thanks for your input!
    Nancy :)

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2006

I included any evaluations I had, letters from school districts where I worked as a sub, letters of recommendation, copies of awards that I had won, really good lesson plans (with reflections), student work samples, pictures, if appropriate, and information on my community service (pamphlets from the fire dept, letters, pictures, etc).

My portfolio had about 8 divisions to it (with the tabs). If you want any other specific info on what I had, let me know...I'm at my bf's and the portfolio is at home:)

4. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jan 1, 2006

Thank you Leighball. I will let you know. This gives me a great starting point. I also have two papers I wrote as a grad student, do you think I should include those?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2006

I don't think I'd include the grad papers. Many prospective employers just give the portfolios a cursory glance- which is irritating considering all of the thought people put into them!! I've heard of people leaving the portfolios behind to let the administrator peruse after the interview just to have it lost in the paper shuffle later..... Leighbball's suggestions are great. At least with a portfolio, all of your 'stuff' is in one organized place- that's why I like it- I've actually had to go back in and get stuff to copy for my record/the state/NCLB even though I've been in my district for 6 years!!

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2006

In the interview I had for my current job, I didn't have a chance to show my portfolio at all, and I was kinda bummed. As the interview ended, the principal asked me if I'd like her to see my portfolio because she knew how much time went into them. I was so pleased:)

That was my second one...I had 1 portfolio for when I graduated with my bachelors and was looking for my first job. Then I taught for a year in a maternity leave position and made a portfolio for my first year of teaching for my second (and hopefully last) job.

I still go back to mine every once in a while...luckily it went through a lot of interviews, so it felt worth it in the end:)

7. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jan 1, 2006

I would make either a smaller version of your portfolio (or copies of your favorite parts) or put your portfolio on a CD so that you can leave it with the district. This is nice if they don't have much time to look at it during your interview.

8. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jan 1, 2006

I hadn't heard of bringing a portfolio

When I was job hunting a couple years ago I looked on the internet for resume ideas for teachers. In my search I did run into a some references to a portfolio. I had never heard of the idea of a portfolio (except for artists and designers)! I had only my resume when I was hired. Of course, this is an area where teachers are in demand, so in a more competitive market, the portfolio might be more necessary. I've wondered how many people really create them and bring them to interviews.
    I was thinking you might want to include a section on recent newsletters you have sent to parents. Principals often want to know that you will stay in touch with parents.
    Pam

9. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jan 1, 2006

I'm getting ready to student teach in 2 weeks and have already started gathering info for my portfolio. I was thinking about putting it on a cd as well for leaving with prospective schools, etc.

Leighball...I would love info on what you included..thanks.

10. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jan 2, 2006

I have to make a portfolio for my master's program and the advisor stated how much they would love to see them on cd and in a binder so that is a very good idea!

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2006

At TCNJ (where I went to college) you had to make one and I think we got graded on it too. Almost all of the poeple I see around South Jersey or in my district who are interviewing carry portfolios now. Especially because in NJ, elementary positions are competitive.