Getting a Masters

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LeslieC, Aug 22, 2007.

1. LeslieC

LeslieC Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

In my district, I'm required to get my Masters within 10 years of working in the district or else I'll have to leave (they give 6500.00 in assistance of that mandate).

I'm not wanting to do the program they have for a general education masters. If I'm going to bust my butt and go back to college, I want a degree that means something to me.

So, with all that said, how do you go about getting one? What kinds are there? How much?!?!?! What about the GRE...is it that tough? I love teaching elementary science and math and down the road, would like to look into a coordinator job. Does anyone know if there's a masters of elem. sci or math education?

I'm probably going to start getting serious with it starting this summer. I just wish Univ. of North Texas was closer to where I live! :)

3. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 22, 2007

4. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I did mine all online through Brenau University ( a private college) here in GA. It was great. I think Waldon has one as well that's good.

5. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 23, 2007

I got mine in curriculum and instruction and you can kind of tailor it by taking the electives that you want your focus to be. That might work for you if you want science and math mainly.

6. LeslieC

LeslieC Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

Thanks, that's what I've been trying to find on the websites for some local colleges around here. I know once I call the advisors, they'll be able to guide me in the right direction.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 23, 2007

I got mine in Educational Leadership, even though I don't intend to become a principal.

8. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Aug 23, 2007

I did mine online through Walden University. I got a Master's of Education with a specialization in Elementary Reading and Literacy. There are other areas to specialize in also. I really enjoyed the program.

9. danic

danic Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

You should also know that a lot of colleges/universities no longer require a GRE (esp. in situations like ours, where we're working full-time and going to school in the field of our career). I would look into the programs you like before you think about taking the test... it costs money and takes time to prep for! :)

10. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 23, 2007

I am also earning my Master's through Walden University. It is much more convenient for me. I guess it depends on whether or not you can complete coursework independently. Some people far better in a live classroom.

11. snoangel

snoangel Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

I'm starting at Walden this fall in Elem reading & literacy. Compared to other places it seems more affordable too.

LAH2- how long did it take you to complete?

12. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

That is SO cool that you get some money towards your Master's!!
    My school (charter) gives us nothing, and there is only a one time $1000 bonus when we get our Master's.

13. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Aug 25, 2007

Snoangel--
    I think it took about a year and a half to complete the program. It takes 5 semesters, but the program runs through the summer also. So if you are starting this fall, you will take classes this fall, next spring, then the summer, and then the following fall and spring, so you should be done by the end of the next school year.

14. snoangel

snoangel Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Nice- I'm looking forward to getting started :)

15. amina.hashim

amina.hashim New Member

Nov 15, 2007

Walden University -Early Childhood Education Teacher Preparation Program / M.A.T.

Hi I am new in the forum. I have a Bachelors degree in Business Administration and intending to switch careers becoming an elementary school teacher. I needed a flexible program considering I have a very busy lifestyle with a family and work. I have been looking into Walden University and they offer an Early Childhood Education Teacher Preparation Program / Master of Arts in Teaching Degree Option (MAT), which leads you to certification. I have been looking for a program that will fit my needs for a very long time and everytime I found a progam its either GAPSC does not approve the school or the program. Can anyone advice me on whether this program is appropriate and if anyone has taken any program at Walden University.

Thanks