Getting a job with no experience

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by crazycatlady80, Apr 16, 2015.

1. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 Rookie

Apr 16, 2015

After a lot of thinking and soul searching, I have decided I want to teach special education. I was a special ed student myself growing up and I look at it as a way of giving back. I would like to enroll in an internship at a CSU this fall. Ideally, I would like to teach in LAUSD. The only problem is that have very little experience. I started volunteering in a SPED classroom (all kinds of students - special day, resource, high functioning autism) and hope to have completed over 200 hours by the end of the year. I also tutor a teenager whose a high-fuctioning autistic. I haven't done any subbing, because I'm in the process of taking the CBEST? Do you think I have a chance of getting a job next year? My university advisor felt it wasn't going to be any problem, but want to know other's thoughts on this topic.

3. Nate

Nate Companion

Apr 17, 2015

Nobody has any experience until they get experience. There should be some classroom experiences attached to the program you get your certificate through, and the stuff your doing already is great.

Besides that, having been on the other side of SpEd is a valuable insight that most applicants won't have. I'd consider that "experience".

4. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 17, 2015

LAUSD is hiring a ton of teachers this year, and there are always more jobs in special ed. As long as you do student teaching and have a couple related things on your resume, I think you'll be fine. Things are really starting to turn around in SoCal. If you don't get a job, standard procedure is to start subbing and continue applying until you do. Then you'll have more experience as well.

5. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 Rookie

Apr 22, 2015

Thanks! I spoke to someone from LAUSD and she said I shouldn't have a problem. FYI - I am doing an internship program. The only classroom experience I have is assisting a special education classroom and tutoring a boy with autism.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2015

Good luck!

7. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 Rookie

Apr 26, 2015

Thanks! I know this will probably be the most difficult job I will ever have and my first year will be hell. Luckily, I have a ton of support.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2015

Suggestions - find workshops that will give you an edge, look into things like PBS Teacherline to find courses (cheap) that will give you an edge as well as grad credit, if you desire, I take courses (free) on Coursera, to increase my proficiency in areas that I would like to improve, join any associations/affiliations that will show you are serious, volunteer when possible to broaden horizons, and find any PD that will make you stand out from the crowd. Make sure your digital literacy skill set is wide and applicable, making you a good fit and easier to slide into a variety of situations with less stress and training.

Good luck.

9. spedalong

spedalong Rookie

May 8, 2015

You could look for a position in teaching extended school year. Since you would not be writing and entering new IEPs or doing re-evals, you could concentrate on organizing instruction, taking data, and managing a classroom. Most sessions are half days for six weeks, so the amount of time would allow for easing into this field as a teacher. Teaching ESY also would give you an edge into finding a job for the school year.

10. Teppiedoo

Teppiedoo Rookie

May 20, 2015

Please take a look at the LAUSD website under interns. They have a couple different SPED internships available through the district (FOR FREE!). I am currently a gen ed teacher with ZERO SPED experience. I am doing the CENTSE internship for next year and I already have a position for next year. Experience is not such a big issue...they want people who are passionate and willing to work with SPED kiddos :)

11. Teppiedoo

Teppiedoo Rookie

May 20, 2015

I did look at doing a internship through CSU Long Beach this year. But honestly, try to go through LAUSD. They pay for everything and you earn a full salary with benefits :)

12. mymelody

mymelody Rookie

May 29, 2015

LAUSD is hiring a projected 400 special Ed teachers this school year, 2015-2016. The district is opening Preschool for All Learners (PAL) Special Day Program. I would suggest apply online and get the requirements you need from the district. k-12 has different requirements than preschool.

13. Mrs.Sprig

Mrs.Sprig New Member

Jun 23, 2015

Good luck!