Getting a job w/ no experience?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Elm512, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Aug 13, 2007

I am getting so worried, reading the several posts lately of teachers not getting hired because they have little to no experience. When I graduate, the ONLY experience I will have is 30 volunteer hours in my son's Pre-K classroom, and my 15 weeks student teaching in 2 grade levels. That's IT! I wanted to try subbing this year, but my husband got orders to deploy and will be leaving in 3 weeks; returning late January/ early February. Right after that we're moving from Japan to the U.S. Then my student teaching starts in Sept., and I graduate next December.

I guess I'm just wondering how many of you did not got hired your 1st( or 2nd or 3rd :p) year due to inexperience? Or on the other hand, how many of you that had little to no experience (besides ST) like me, DID?

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 13, 2007

I graduated in 2005 and was not hired for the 2005/2006 school year, but I did end up with two long-term sub positions. Then again last year (2006/2007) I wasn't able to find a position in the public schools, but was hired at a private school right before school started. The position wasn't ideal, but I took it for the experience. Finally this year I was hired at a great charter school.

My suggestion would be to take advantage of the fact that you're graduating in December. Not many permanent positions will be opening up at that time of the year so take advantage of the time by subbing in different districts. Then, by the time districts are looking for positions for the following school year, you'll have more experience!

4. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 13, 2007

I am graduating this week (WOO HOO!) with my MAT in Special Ed. I was hired for my position that starts next week in May. I did have a year of experience as an intern for high school LRC, and this position is elementary life skills. I was an assistant for 6 months, and have done some general ed praticum and day care. That's it. Part of my luck is because I'm special ed. The other part is that while it is a tight job market here, it's not nearly as bad as I'm hearing about other places. There are quite a few jobs, especially special ed available. I only know one person who is looking that hasn't found a job yet, and that's more due to personal issues than anything else.

So my recommendation is definately get as much experience as you can, but if it's possible, locate yourself somewhere with a good job market. Portland, Oregon is great, but anywhere in the Willamette Valley really. I would stay away from the Eugene area (where I'm from) because there are two teacher prep programs in the city pumping out teachers. I'm sure you can find ideas for other good locations from others on this website. You will also want to be putting together a portfolio. Collect letters of rec from as many people as possible (at least one teacher, supervisor, and work experience if you can). Also samples of your work and any other spectacular pieces that showcase your abilities, personality, and talents.

As far as interviewing goes, practice, practice practice! For my job, and the other interviews I had where I was offered the position, it only took one interview. No portfolio, demo or second interview. That might show how decent the market is here.
    Good luck!

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2007

Don't worry, many people graduate with little more than student teaching experience. I encourage you to sub! I would actually prefer subbing over going full time without that experience. You will learn a lot.

Don't focus on your lack of experience..... you will gain experience and do fine.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 13, 2007

What program are you doing? The ETEP at USM?

7. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 13, 2007

I didn't even have student teaching experience and I eventually was hired. I graduated in May, did my education graduate work and subbed so I was looking for an internship. If you student teach you will have an advantage because they consider that experience (to an extent)

8. maserz

maserz Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

HI! I just graduated this past May, and I will be teaching this August. In fact, I start Wednesday. Now, I did have to be very patient, but I was optomistic and emphasized on my positive aspects - ESPECIALLY student teaching! They were very glad to hear what I had done and to know that I would not be afraid to ask questions or learn new tasks. I think being new almost helped, because I could learn from their school and procedures. Be open-minded and you'll find where you're supposed to be!

9. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 13, 2007

maserz, I think that is a really good point. One of the things about being a new teacher is that you are not yet set in your ways. So this gives the school an opportunity to help shape what kind of teacher you can be. I think this is a big plus for new teachers!

10. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Aug 13, 2007

Thank you for all of the comments, everyone!
    Beth, that is a really great point; I didn't even think of it. (Taking advantage of the fact I graduate in December). What time-frame do schools generally start listing their openings for the next year?

Jaime- No, we don't live in Maine. We're in Japan on an Air Force base. Maine is where we're from and where we'll be going back to in 2010. I'm in a B.A. Elementary Ed. program

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 13, 2007

I've seen some that start posting in February for the retiree positions that they know they have to fill, but in general most places seem to to start posting in April and seriously looking once school is out (June in my area).

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 14, 2007

It seems they really start looking in late March. I think I have said this before. Because you have lived in Japan you will have a great advantage over us. You need to really emphasize that point.
    I didn't realize you weren't going to be back here until 2010. Well I think I did know and just forgot. :eek: