Getting a job in another state

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GageGirl15, Mar 20, 2016.

1. GageGirl15

GageGirl15 Rookie

Mar 20, 2016

Hi everyone!
    To start off, let me say that I'm not a teacher.. yet :) I will be begin to get my alternative teaching certificate in Arizona this summer (or fall)! I want to go into elementary education.

I have to stay in Arizona with my parents, since I have yet to get a good job to live on my own. I graduated with a Bachelor's in Business Management last year. I'm 22 years old. I have decided to pursue a teaching certification, and go on to get my Master's in the future, because I realized that being a teacher is something I have wanted to do since I was little.

My plan is to obtain my certification and do some student teaching while in Arizona. I wish to relocate to Colorado to teach full time.

My question is -- How do I do that? I need to land a job first before I relocate for financial stability. I would be able to make the move, but I need to go right into teaching. How do you get a teaching job out of state? Do you use connections? Do you simply apply with good references? Should I gain a couple years of teaching experience in Arizona before I try to get a job out of state? I would just like to know what the best options are, as I wish to settle in Colorado :)

Anything helps! Thank you :)

3. GageGirl15

GageGirl15 Rookie

Mar 20, 2016

Also, I am aware that I would need to get my certification transferred to Colorado and take all of their necessary tests/background checks

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2016

I moved to CO to teach right after graduation. It depends on the area of the state that you want to move to. If you're willing to teach outside of the major cities, you should have no problem finding a position in any certification area. I started in Vail and was hired after one phone interview. I didn't know anyone in the entire state and had no experience. The market in Denver is a lot more competitive than the rest of the state, but definitely still doable, and it seems more open every year. You don't really need to do anything special, other than that I would recommend having your CO license in hand when you go to apply for positions here. A lot of people assume that they can just apply for the license if they get an offer, but CO takes FOREVER to process licenses (my first one took 6-7 months), and having the license in hand will show interviewers that you're serious about moving here. I have no idea what it's like in AZ, but also keep in mind that positions start opening up around February-March and schools try to have their hiring done for the following school year before the present school year ends. In my home state, most schools didn't even begin interviews until school let out, so that was different for me. I would also recommend that you thoroughly research any districts that you get an offer from, including on facebook. Denver has been an area that politicians have targeted to push through their "reform" agendas and they have made life miserable for teachers in certain districts. These districts are generally in wealthy areas and look good on paper, especially to someone coming from out of state who doesn't know what's going on.

GageGirl15 likes this.
  5. GageGirl15

GageGirl15 Rookie

Mar 20, 2016

Thanks for the wonderful, detailed help! Now I know even better what to expect, especially the time aspect. Yes I would definitely get my CO certification first and then apply. I'm relieved to know that you don't need to know anyone! I will research all the districts, so thanks for that tip! I pay attention to CO news already a little bit to get a feel for what goes on there, so I'll do some special research about certain districts. Again, thanks so much for the extremely helpful reply! :)

waterfall likes this.
  6. rlrtorr

rlrtorr Rookie

Mar 24, 2016

Subscribing to this thread so I can follow. I am looking to move states within the first five years of the start of teaching...