Getting a job at Sylvan or Huntington?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sks72, May 21, 2012.

1. sks72

sks72 Rookie

May 21, 2012

My question is really just about summer work. How do you get a job at a Sylvan or Huntington Learning Center? It's been harder for me to get an interview there than "real" teaching interviews!

I'm elementary certified only--maybe they're looking for secondary subject certifications, instead?

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 21, 2012

Yeah, I would imagine that is the case. Most parents who can afford Sylvan or HLC are at least able to help their children themselves through the elementary years. It is when the student gets to secondary (particularly math and science) that the parents need reinforcements from such tutoring centers.

You may be better advertising independently.

Good luck!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 21, 2012

They are often looking for people with math and science certificates. I would walk in your resume, or call and make an appointment, to talk with the director.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 21, 2012

Agreed.

6. Uppies

Uppies New Member

May 21, 2012

As an alternative, you could advertise tutoring at your local libraries.

7. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

May 21, 2012

I've worked at a sylvan for the last few years. it is not true that they are looking for only secondary or math and science teachers. we have tons of elementary kids at my center. i would suggest calling the center and asking for a director to see if they are hiring. walking your resume in is also a great idea.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 21, 2012

When I worked at Sylvan, the vast majority of our clients were elementary--I'm talking 95% or more. It might be different in different places, but given my experience I wouldn't assume that the reason you're not getting a job there is that you are secondary.

9. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

May 21, 2012

Most around here are elementary certified. If I were you I'd walk in your resume, and call around every season change (beginning/end of school year) to see if they need anyone. I know people who turned in their stuff and then were called out of the blue 7 months later.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 22, 2012

Maybe it's because you only want to work for the summer? If they know you're only available for a couple of months they would probably rather have someone who was more long term. My old college roommate works at Sylvan and she's not a teacher- but she was available indefinitely since she's going to grad school right now, so I'm sure knowing that she'd be there pretty long term was incentive to hire her.

11. hawkeyestate

hawkeyestate New Member

May 22, 2012

Sylvan likes to hire teachers full-time. They are usually not interested in teachers who are actively looking for full time teaching positions. Maybe look into Mathnasium (math learning center) if there is one in your area. I currently work at the one around here and love it.