Getting a job at a private catholic school

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Infinity, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Infinity

Infinity Rookie

Aug 25, 2015

Hi everyone! I have an interview for a position at a catholic school. I'm just wondering if getting a teaching job at a catholic school will hurt my chances of getting a job at a public school.. I am currently tutoring in a public school district. Would it make sense for me to quit my public school tutoring job for a catholic school classroom teacher?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2015

Here on the East Coast we have a lot of schools in a small area, and some students move in and out of the various schools, so no, I don't see losing the tutoring unless you are just overwhelmed.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 25, 2015

I live in NJ and I currently work in a private Catholic school - quite a few of our teachers have previously worked in public schools and some teachers that have left have had employment in public schools, so it should not be an issue at all.

You will have to be a licensed teacher to work in a Catholic school, so that would take care of requirements needed in a public school. I happen to work in an independent private Catholic school, so I don't even need my teaching license to have employment.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 25, 2015

Question: do you have to be a Catholic to work at a private Catholic school?

6. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

Aug 25, 2015

Here's my guess: since you'd be teaching catechism, and praying daily (and part/all of the rosary at Easter) most likely you'd have to be Catholic who made confirmation, or a similar religious (Lutheran, Methodist) background and some sort of in to get a job.

A lot of Catholic schools are attached to local churches, which may expect you to tithe part of your pay check to the church. You might not be comfortable with that if you aren't a practicing Catholic, or if the school you teach at isn't your church.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2015

Not necessarily. Many Catholic schools will hire a non-Catholic candidate if they can't find a better fit. Do keep in mind that religion guides the school philosophy, IS the school culture and is part of the curriculum.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 26, 2015

Based on my private Catholic school (we are not attached to a diocese or particular parish)...

I would say that we do have a lot of Catholic teachers at my school, but we also have a handful of Protestants and Jewish teachers. I'm sure there are people who don't have any faith at all too ~ although I don't actively know about any.

Even if you are Catholic, you are never asked about what parish you belong to (or your church attendance) or Sacraments you have received.

We don't use the Catechism in my elementary school - the religion classes have workbooks with a set curriculum that uses the Bible mostly.

We do pray the rosary, either in religion class or at certain times - like the month of May, which is dedicated to Mary, but we never force a faculty member or a student to pray the rosary. We do take time to have Mass on fest days and everybody has to attend those, but if you are not Catholic, we just ask that you stand when we stand and sit when we sit, nothing else (no singing, no prayer, etc). No one judges a person about this at all.

I haven't heard of this happening from any of my friends that work in Catholic school that are part of a diocese or parish. In my private Catholic school, we are asked to give a donation to support certain funds, but they don't get if it's $5 - it's just to show that each faculty member has supported the fund. There have been other funds to support things at my school that I haven't given to and nobody has said anything to me about - I still get my yearly raise, bonuses, etc.

The nice thing about working in my Catholic school is that if you're not Catholic, but a different faith, we support you taking days off for your holidays and it isn't docked against you (doesn't count as a personal or sick day). Also because of our faith, we support you when there's issues in your family - if you need time off to be with an ill or dying family member we want you to take the time you need. Any time someone is injured, has a bad illness, or has lost a loved one, we always send a gift from the faculty - when my grandmother passed, they send me a bouquet of pink roses in support and included my grandmother's name in their weekly masses. I didn't see this level of love and consideration from others in my last private school, so I'm really happy to be where I am.

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 26, 2015

Ok. I'm a Christian so it's related but definitely different so I was just curious! There are some Catholic schools here that I never applied to because I wasn't sure. Good to know for the future I guess!

10. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 27, 2015

Based on my experience of currently teaching in a Catholic school and trying to switch to public- you might be better off trying to substitute or do something within the district IF you can afford it.

Trying to get a job in a district is SO political and if they know you and you have your foot in the door through subbing or whatever, it helps your chances of landing a job down the road.

But as for "hurting" your chances because you teach in a Catholic school, I'd so no. It all comes down to who you know for the most part. That's my two cents...

11. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2015

I was offered an assistant position at a public school and a classroom job in a Catholic school many, many years ago. I went with the Catholic school and so glad that I did. Would my "foot have been in the door" for a classroom job in the public school if I took the assistant position, maybe? The Catholic school gave me real classroom experience, and a huge resume builder.
    As far as having to be Catholic, it probably varies from school to school. Everyone where I worked was Christian, those that were not Catholic did not teach religion. I think it was only one teacher. Her class had religion with the teacher across the hall, while she took that teachers class for science. She was expected to instill the values, lead her class in prayer attend mass etc.....It all worked out.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 3, 2015

Most diocese don't require you to be Catholic to teach at Catholic schools. You will not, however, be allowed to teach religion classes so that could make things tricky.