Getting a graduate certificate in English Education.

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Iris1001, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Oct 20, 2020

Good morning, all.

I did some digging and research. I think I'm going to go for a "Certificate of Advance Graduate Study" in English Education. This seems like a wonderful program. The one I'm looking at has an "Intro to Education" class, which is just what I need. It also has some wonderful classes on curriculum and teaching my content area.

More than anything, I just want to be an effective and good teacher. Most days, I feel like I'm failing my students. I care so much about their education. I really want them to love Hemingway and Shakespeare. My past five years of teaching did help me a lot and teach me a lot about the profession, but I feel like I need to be better and do better.

Has anyone ever done a CAGS before? Do you think it will help me with pacing strategies and providing rigor in my lesson plans?

3. qeichmann

qeichmann Rookie

Oct 25, 2020

I never considered about it.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2020

I didn't find any of my education classes to be particularly useful in application to the real world of teaching. The lesson plan format that we were taught was not the same as the one that my school wanted us to use. There was a lot of "this is how you do X", but nothing about what you do when X didn't work for your situation.

My most useful tools came from coworkers. Mentors and team members assistance was far more valuable because it pertained to the actual school and kids I was teaching.

While I would like others to see the value in some of my favorite literature, in all honesty most of my kids are not going to. I still use a lot of my favorite items with classes, but I'm teaching them skills that will translate to anything they read. That way they have the skills necessary to analyze whatever they run across in their lives.

Being willing to teach better and learn new things is something that really doesn't ever go away. Even at year 28 I make sure that I keep learning. However, I'm not sure that classroom learning is the way to get that knowledge. Peers and specific workshops are more useful to me. For instance, I was trained in Kagan strategies many years ago, but those strategies are obsolete in the virtual works. So, when I saw a workshop for the new VIRTUAL Kagan program, I immediately asked my principal if I could go, and she agreed that it would be a worthwhile PD.

Iris1001 likes this.
  5. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Oct 25, 2020

Irony?

6. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Oct 25, 2020

Duplicate of previous post :(

7. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Oct 30, 2020

I'm thinking a lot about this. The program I'm looking at is quite expensive. It's not a master's program, but it does cost about the same. I'm thinking that I just need more PD.

8. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Oct 30, 2020

You might consider a coach or mentor. Ask people to visit your room and ask for specific feedback. Visit other people's rooms (ask first, some people are not into this) for 10 minutes if that's all you can spare. Think about something they did that you liked, and think about how to incorporate it into your structures.

Iris1001 likes this.
  9. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Oct 30, 2020

I think I will do that. I also think I just need some more professional development. Some of the ones at my old school were really helpful. Thank you so much for your help!!! :)