Getting a dog in July!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by 1st-yr-teacher, Jun 27, 2011.

1. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

So I have started a thread or two on here about getting a dog. I mentioned how I wanted to get a pug but was unsure.

Well, I am getting a pug in July. I am very excited. He will be a "rescue" but not from an agency. I will get him from someone who is no longer able to care for him.

So....any advice in bringing him home and making it an easy transition? He is about a year old and house trained. I will have to get him neutered because he has not had that done yet.

I figured I would take him to the vet I plan on using for a check-up and to get a relationship going there. I know to get his records from his previous vet.

So to the parents to doggies on the boards....any suggestions? Does anyone with experience in adopting a dog from another home have any advice?

I am very excited!!!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 27, 2011

I've never gotten a rescue dog, but congrats & have many enjoyable times w/ your new family member!

4. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

Thanks! I am just worried how he will adjust going from one home to mine. I guess I will just have to go with whatever happens.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 27, 2011

I have a friend who got a rescue. His dog needed anxiety medicine in the beginning but I think there was some abuse/neglect at her first home. Even with a rough start, the dog adjusted pretty quickly. She's super sweet. I think she is extra grateful to have a loving home.

Ask the previous owner about the dog's habits- going out signals, where he/she sleeps, favorite brands of treats, favorite toys. Anything that can be familiar will probably ease the transition.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2011

We're getting a rescue doberman soon.
    I was nervous about a rescue dog, but the foster family said he's just the sweetest dog - the only reason he hasn't been adopted is because he is deaf.

7. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

I just did that in May with my little rat terrier. She came from a home that didn't have time for her. She was 11 months old. She had to be spayed too. I signed her up for a plan at Banfield Vet Clinics (which are located in Petsmart). I had a plan like this for my previous dog. It includes all vaccinations and teeth cleaning and other useful services.

I don't really have any advice for you. My little dog has bonded with me so much since I've off from school the last few weeks.

Good luck with your new pug.