Get unemployment benefits even if you resigned?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jamoehope, May 31, 2012.

1. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

May 31, 2012

I posted about my situation on another post, but this post is specific to unemployment.

In March I was told I was being non-reelected as a teacher and I cannot be told why. I resigned as advised by a union representative to avoid the label of non-relect since he felt it would look better than having that question of why I was not being non-relected.

He told me he thought I could apply for unemployment anyway. I found this information online here: http://www.utla.net/system/files/nonreelectionFAQ_0.pdf . At the end of the document there is an underined portion that reads:
    "If you resigned in lieu of being non-reelected, state that you resigned after the employer informed you that you would be dismissed for reasons other than misconduct."​

Does this mean that I can successfully apply to unemployment?

Thanks.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 31, 2012

That is really a question for unemployment. That statement to me means that is what you write on the form. Unemployment will make the determination.

Though I've never applied for unemployment benefits. I would assume your union would know better than anyone. You are not the 1st this has happened to. If your rep does not know, talk to who ever he reports to.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 31, 2012

I think that you should really call the state unemployment office. They will be able to answer your questions much better.

Good luck to you.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 31, 2012

I think it varies by state and you'll need to speak with the actual unemployment. My experience as a first year teacher in FL was that teachers were not able to get unemployment funding unless they were terminated during the year. It was explained to me that because there is a 1 year contract and the employer fulfilled that contract I was not technically unemployed. That's not to say the same is true for you...just that you need to check specifics for your situation. Also, see what will happen if you sub. You'll want to keep your foot in the door.

6. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Jun 1, 2012

Thanks for the tips. Today I tried to call the unemployment office for California but it's been busy. But I'll keep trying and send an email.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 1, 2012

You could also try going in person. The phone is always busy.

8. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jun 1, 2012

From the reading of it, it looks like you will get it. I think.

I know around here forget it.
    Apply for UI on your last day or work or within the next week.
    If you wait till sept/aug you can forget about UI.
    APPLY ASAP
    And yes I am yelling.

9. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jun 1, 2012

hope you get it!

10. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 2, 2012

Call up state employment. The rules vary from state to state. Don't depend on the union to tell you the truth.

Whatever you do, don't sub. That will disqualify you.

11. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jun 2, 2012

Get UI first then sub.

The problem with subbing and why the whole UI system is broken as far as I am concerned is:

If I sub one day for let's say $100. Well taxes and stuff are taken out. So I get about $93-$94 after taxes. UI takes out $100. And do not work al 5 days. Then you are at 40 hours and new rules kick in.

What you do not want to do is take a Summer School job. That will kill UI. IF you are already on UI, then you are working 40 hours. UI ends. You reply and will get a lesser amount.

UI while nice to have as fall back discourages working part time. Discourages school. Discourages everything except looking applying for two jobs a week.