Get out there!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacherCA, May 20, 2010.

1. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

May 20, 2010

I just wanted to share my story in hopes that it will encourage others to just get out there!
    I made up packets (cover letter, resume, credentials, letters of reference, etc) and mailed them to every school in my districts of choice (I hand delivered a few to the schools I really was interested in, just to see if I might get to meet the P by chance). None had any posted openings, but I wanted to show interest should anything open up.
    Well, it certainly paid off because I have interviews with 3 different schools next week! I am so excited! :)
    This proves that just because a district hasn't posted something doesn't mean there aren't any openings. Good luck everyone!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 21, 2010

How wonderful!!!

That's the message we keep repeating, over and over: Don't apply just to the schools showing openings. Get dressed up and hand deliver wherever possible, and apply EVERYWHERE!!!!

4. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 21, 2010

That's awesome, teacherCA! Good luck on those interviews!!! :thumb:

I have a question about reference letters; do they need to be sealed in a confidential envelope signed by the person writing the letter? I've done this on my first few letters to show they are genuine, but that also means I have to keep going back to sources and asking them to print off more copies of their letter and place them in a signed envelope for me. It's the end of the year and they have more than enough school issues and paperwork to deal with already.

So, would it be acceptable to simply make my own copies of their letters and add the open letters in my packet?

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 21, 2010

Good luck teacherCA!!! Can't wait to add you to our jobs list!!!

6. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

May 21, 2010

Cerek,

What has worked for me is just making copies of the letters of reference and leaving them unsealed.. if you make sure you include the contact information for the person who wrote them, the school can contact to verify :)

7. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 21, 2010

Yes. That's what I did.

I put four letters of recommendation at the end of my packet of information.

P.S. My P and I are already getting close, so after I know that "I'm in" I plan on asking him what set me apart from the group.

I'll let everyone know what he says so everyone can know the information right from the belly of the beast.

8. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 21, 2010

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

I know my references wouldn't have a problem printing more letters for me - they're just swamped with end-of-the-year stuff right now. I also know they wouldn't mind if I just made copies of the letters I already have and used those.

I'm looking forward to it, in a way, because I've not read any of the letters and it will be interesting to see what they said.

What I will probably do is asking each of them for about 4-6 more sealed letters AFTER end-of-grade testing is done because I think some districts do prefer sealed letters. That way, I'll have some on hand if needed, but will use the open letters in most of my packages.

9. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 21, 2010

I think copies are sufficient.

I had access to a scanning machine, so I just scanned in their letters and printed one out each time I needed one.

If you don't have a scanner, just make multiple copies. Makes it easier on your references too.

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 21, 2010

We keep saying this exact thing. Thank you for putting this in a real life context. It makes it real to some. Kicks others in the butt, and for others gives the confidence to try no matter what the outcome.:wub: It is tough to do this. But, the rewards are worth the uncomfortable feelings of putting yourself OUT THERE.:woot:

11. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

May 21, 2010

Thanks for the encouragement! Just this week, I mailed out about 15 portfolios with my cover letter, resume, ACP letter, three recommendation letter, and a CD with a short sample teach. I will be mailing out more soon!! :D

12. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

May 21, 2010

I forgot to mention I also had a "brochure" or more like a flyer on the front of the packet!

13. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

May 21, 2010

What area in CA are you in?

14. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

May 22, 2010

Cerek: I have always just made copies of the letters. I have not had anyone say that they wanted an original.

vsimpkins: Northern

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 22, 2010

Best wishes to you

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 22, 2010

:hugs: Hope you get one of these positions. I LOVE to hear the sweet words of encouragement and success that permeates the forums of A to Z. This truly is Teachers HELPING teachers.

17. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

May 22, 2010

I agree! This forum is such a great resource! =)

18. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

May 22, 2010

I'm in Southern CA and news is not good for jobs right now.

19. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

May 23, 2010

I've always just used copies of my references. The districts that want more specific information or want an "honest" opinion will contact those references as long as you give contact information. I also included the original letter in my portfolio. Some districts will mail a specific form requesting information from your references prior to interviews regardless of whether or not you have a letter but those are rare in my experience.

Packets do work! Apply anywhere and everywhere you would ever consider teaching. Many decisions are made prior to the position being posted. Hand-deliver your information whenever possible. Secretaries talk and they might remember, "the enthusiastic girl who came during the principal's lunch break." It shows you're willing to make the effort.