Germs activity...please help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Michael S., Dec 20, 2007.

1. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Dec 20, 2007

I want to have a germs activity with prek - first graders as part of an ongoing health theme (fitness, nutrition, safety, etc.) for an afterschool program I work at because the principal wants it to be academic related, so I thought health related would be the most fun as they can play games in fitness, make foods in nutrition, and still learn something.

I want to have the children trace their hand and add glue to it somehow so I can sprinkle glitter onto it to resemble germs while in the same sense so i can just have the add another step to resemble washing their hands so that the glitter won't stick...help please.

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 20, 2007

Try these websites www.kidshelath.org and www.glogerm.com

I wrote my own germ unit several years ago. There is alot of info on the web. You just have to search. Start with the word germs in the google search box.

4. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2007

Re. the glitter idea -- why not just sprinkle some glitter on their hands (or desks), go on with other activities, and look back later to see how it spread all over the room. You could also put different colors on different kids' hands and see how everyone ends up with all the different colors on their hands. Glitter spreads like wildfire and there's no getting rid of it -- a perfect comparison.

5. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Dec 21, 2007

The problem with sprinkling glitter on their hands is that it is nearly impossible to clean it all up. Another staff member used glitter about two weeks ago on t-shirts for a dance program she had and it made a huge mess. I want to limit their mess to their work area.

6. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Dec 21, 2007

i did something similar with my PE classes a couple of years ago. my coworkers and i would squirt lotion on our hands and rub glitter all over them (the lotion helps it stick to hands better.) then we would play "the name game" were we shake hands with all sorts of ppl in class and introduce ourselves. the other coaches and i would start shaking hands and sharing the glitter and before you knew it, then entire class of 75 kids had glitter on their hands. i then explained to them that i didn't "wash" my hands after using the restroom, my coworker wiped his nose with hand instead of using a tissue, and that my other coworker "coughed" on her hand instead of her elbow.

it got the message across very clearly. and we discussed our "No Germ Rules" that i came up with.

1. Wash your hands before eating and after using the restroom.
    2. Sneeze and cough into your elbow.
    3. Wipe your nose with a tissue and then wash your hands.

7. yclark

yclark Comrade

Dec 22, 2007

Little kids love stickers. Why not give them a page of little sticker dots or smiley faces and have them place them everywhere they go for a given time frame? (Say center time) Then discuss it afterward. If you had enough variety in your stickers you could see the cross-contamination possibilities, just like the colored glitter.

I havd had my students draw themselves or color pictures of faces, then glue a tissue on the nose as a lesson about using tissues. I use the video that Clorox sends out. It does a good job of explaining things. I found it on a teacher freebie site. Try googling.