GERM FREE (or at least controlled germies)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teaching4God, Aug 31, 2009.

1. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Aug 31, 2009

I have been rather consciously aware that my bathroom passes are probably writhing with germs. Can anyone think of a germ-resistant bathroom pass?

3. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Aug 31, 2009

Any other germ tips would be appreciated.

4. Mrs.Schwartz

Mrs.Schwartz Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

Passes that the students don't have to hold, on a string around their neck for instance, would be less germ infested. Or... a clothes pin that they could attach to their sleeves would work too. ANything that they don't have to touch. I'm constantly aware of this too! I just know they're putting the passes on the bathroom floor or worse!

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 31, 2009

Along the lines of the idea of the pp- having a laminated sheet of paper with the boys names typed (size 14 font would be good) along one side (say the left side) and the girls along the other side (the right side) and then just having the kids move a clothes pin and clip it on their name (On the paper beside the door) when they run to the bathroom- so have a blue clip for the boys and a red one for the girls so you can have two people out at once- one boy and one girl, and know at a glance who is out of the room. When the student returns the clothes pin gets put away or clipped to the bottom or top of the page- so the next student can move it to his/her name to show he/she is out of the room in the bathroom
    I am not sure if this is something you could use or if you need a physical pass for the kids to hold in the hallway- but if not this could work.

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2009

You could have passes on a paper pad and just dispose of them when kids get back, high school style.

Our K-12 school doesn't do passes so its not a worry.

7. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Aug 31, 2009

I have passes hanging on the wall - one for boys & one for girls. They turn it over as they go out of the room & turn it back when they return. It seems much better than them taking it with them!

8. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 31, 2009

I am so glad you posted this, because I don't want to give students passes that they take to the bathroom with them. All students need a pass in my school, and I am thinking of making something for the kids to wear around their neck.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 31, 2009

When you think about it bathroom passes are just nasty and germy. We don't have to have use them. I think if I had to I'd come up with something that was disposable.

10. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Aug 31, 2009

I have them sign out on a clipboard and then put a beanie baby on their desk to let me know they're gone. The idea of students taking something into the bathroom with them grosses me out.

As far as other germs, we wipe everything down on Fridays with Clorox Wipes. I have them wipe their desks, chairs and then wipe any and everything until their wipe is dirty/dry. I then go around and spray door handles, light switches with Lysol. I did this relentlessly last year and was only sick 1/2 day!

11. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 31, 2009

Just a fact about putting clothes pins or something on their clothes... they will touch it. No matter what you tell them and no matter where you clip it, the kids will find a way to touch it. From my experience, I doubt it will help eliminate germs.

12. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 31, 2009

I always have the kids put the pass on their desk when they are out of the room ( in second grade) the pass never goes to the bathroom this way, and it seems less germy. i have also read about teachers that use a bottle of germ-x as a bathroom pass, the kids put the germ-x on their desk when they go to the bathroom, and then when they return, they get a squirt, and put the germ-x away.

13. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Sep 1, 2009

I like the germ-ex idea, but my children have to have a pass anytime they are in the hall.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

At my school the kids must have a pass any time they are in the hall. I'm turning my passes into necklaces. Last year I tried a magnet on the back of the pass, but then the pass would get left & who know what else.

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

I would stay away from anything that would go around their necks. You just never know. :( Better to be safe than sorry.

16. rbs2000

rbs2000 New Member

Sep 1, 2009

Have you tried having the bathroom pass laminated? This way they can be cleaned and wiped with Clorox Wipes or sprayed when they are returned. I have subbed for 5 years and most of the ones I've seen are laminated.

17. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 1, 2009

I tried making my pass into a necklace and it resulted in a kid swinging it around the bathroom and hurting someone else. I am going to make each child a clothespin to use as a pass. If they break their pass or get it nasty it is on them. They do not get another one. I'm sick of dealing with lost, broken, and nasty bathroom passes. I have better things to do!

18. janney

janney Cohort

Sep 1, 2009

I'm seeing how long I can get away with not using a bathroom pass this year. I've hardly had anyone ask to go now that the passes aren't hanging there tempting them into the freedom of an empty hallway. :)

19. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

I just bought two bottles of hand sanitizer. I am now leaning towards getting rid of my laminated passes and having them put a bottle on their desk when they leave.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

It's not what I really want to do.. .school decision.

21. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

How about a sticker on their shirt that they throw away when they get back? Or, those little clip on name badge holders that clip on their shirt. Then, it's not around their neck, but it should stay off the dirty floor. Just slip a card inside it-one for boys and one for girls.

22. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

Hand sanitizer

I use bottles of hand sanitizer for my bathroom passes. I put a sticker on one that says Girl's Pass and on another that says Boy's Pass. I have the students leave them on their desk when they go to the bathroom, so I know who is gone. Then, they have to use it when they get back. I of course encourage them to still wash their hands in the bathroom, but it's peace of mind for me, because I never know how well my 3rd graders wash their hands. And the kids are great at policing each other to ensure everyone uses it, lol.