Gerber Baby Food Container Ideas?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by msj, Mar 2, 2010.

1. msj

msj Companion

Mar 2, 2010

Hello, My son just begain eating baby food. Gerber doesn't use jars anymore, but instead uses little platic containers. The teacher in me won't let me throw them away, but they are beginning to pile up. So besides just storing small craft supplies, does anyone have any ideas about how I could use them?

Thanks!

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 2, 2010

Those would be great for making butter... I'm always nervous to bring te glasss ones because I'm afraid of them dropping and breaking. Plastic would be so much safer :)

4. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Mar 2, 2010

Send them my way. I love them for paint. They are so small that I don't care if the kids mix colors. Plus with the flat lids, all the paints store well.

5. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Mar 2, 2010

these are great paint, glue, water storage cups!

Also they are great for found object stamping! I've been collecting marker lids, empty masking tape rolls etc.

6. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2010

-Mother's Day painted Sand creations!
    You have the children layer the different colored sand in them and you've got Mother's Day Keepsakes; paper weights OR DUST COLLECTERS in my case. I still have the ones my kids made for me.
    -Make RAINBOW BOTTLES for your Science Center. It's a hit for my class! I used the really small water bottles.
    -Make HUNT BOTTLES for you class. Place different things, like rubber bands, buttons, small plastic animals, OR whatever you think would be interesting. Make a list of what each bottle has and have the children see who can find all their items first. Hey! I just thought of that! Stop me, while I'm ahead NOW!:lol:
    If I come up with any other ideas, I'll 4-1-1 you later.
    Make it fun,
    Rebel1

7. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Mar 2, 2010

i love them for paint! or storing small amounts of playdoh. I buy the big tubs of playdoh from discount school supply - and hate that it gets dried out if the lid is left off even slightly. So i use those or other small containers with tightly fitting lids to put the playdoh in. that way if the lid is left off - i only have to throw out a little bit instead of the whole thing! plus it seems to be easier for the kids to put away in the small containers!

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 2, 2010

Another mother's day idea: mix large buckets of epson salt with scented oil and food coloring, and fill the baby food jars. Instant bath salts! Students can make labels and tape them on with packing tape!!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 2, 2010

Not for school use, but for home - they used to have these wire bracket things that fit around the top of the jars so you could hang them on peg board in the garage to store small items.

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2010

Do they have lids or are they like the foil tops on a yogurt? I can't tell from the website....they are the rectangle ones right?

11. Kase

Kase Companion

Mar 3, 2010

I had my kids at school turn the lids into ornaments with their picture on them. They turned out great. I like the paint idea. We use the Gerber Graduate Lil Entree dishes to put paint in for kids to paint. My organizational analness would love to use them for storing things. LOL

12. andi137

andi137 Companion

Mar 3, 2010

I love these!! I use them in my room for penny cups or ticket cups. This depends on what token economy I am using in my classroom. I never thought about paint though.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 3, 2010

We used them to make the letter sound recognition boxes. I have Barbie aged kids so we kept all the dropped and lost tiny toys and then filed them in the tubs after we decorated the lids and sides with the letter. So you open the tub, take out bear, bead, bed and baby and find out that the tub is for the /b/ sound.

Kids named this game tiny treasures----and it was a great use for those tiny prizes from school carnivals that swamped my home life.

14. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Mar 3, 2010

They're great for storing different colors of pony beads. My kids like to string the beads on pipe cleaners.

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 3, 2010

I don't have them in my room, but when we were helping a teacher move rooms mid year I saw her ideas. She had used them to sort out manipulatives. She had counted out a set number of items (such as pattern blocks, counters, tiles, etc...) in them and had them handy for kids to pick up. That way when the kids needed them for a lesson they just had to grab their own container.

16. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Mar 3, 2010

I use them for letter tiles. I put in the tiles needed to form words used to help my students with the sounds we are studying this week. The kids pull out the tiles and form as many words as they can. It makes a great center.