Geometry

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by JulieW, Feb 22, 2009.

1. JulieW

JulieW Rookie

Feb 22, 2009

I am starting this unit with my 5th graders this week. What are some fun "hands-on" activities you have done with these terms and skills?

Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2009

Not a 5th grade teacher, but...

I think kids should be exposed to pi in a hands on fashion. Have them take a piece of string and measure the circumference of a a number of circles. Measure the length of the string and record. Have them measure the diameter of the same circles and record.

Divide circumference by diameter and the answer should consistently approach pi, depending on the accuracy of their measurements.

4. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Feb 22, 2009

We are in the middle of a geometry unit and I think it's a great opportunity to get some hands-on activities in. For example, last week we were covering different types of triangles, quadrilaterals, and angle relationships (complementary, supplementary, vertical, etc.). So, I printed out a picture of an interesting building (just google image "building) and they highlighted familiar geometric figures in partners. Then, we went outside to find examples of them in our school buildings and they had a chance to practice drawing them. It was really fun!!
    We are also starting pi this week and I am planning an activity similar to what Aliceacc was describing.
    Have fun!

5. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Feb 22, 2009

We do a Playground Polygon Hunt. Students must find, sketch, and write the location of various polygons on the playground.

We make large solid geometric figures using rolled newspaper and masking tape.

We make models of lines, segments, parallel lines, etc. using icing and pretzels and Alphabit cereal.

We make geometric solids with toothpicks and gumdrops.

We make ink blots and do a lot of papercutting for symmetry.

We use pattern blocks to make geometric patterns and tessellations.

We use geoboards to make various polygons.

We make and classify triangles uning toothpicks.

6. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Feb 23, 2009

Oh my gosh I LOVE GEOMETRY! This is my favorite time of year in fifth grade math....

--do aerobics with them where they create with their bodies line segments, rays, lines, acute angles, etc

--go on a Geometry Walk through your school making them look for tessellations, obtuse angles, equilateral triangles...basically anything you are studying

--during area and perimeter I have my students create floor plans of a house. They have to give me the area and perimeter of each room in the house....they get pretty creative with "swimming pool rooms" and "mall rooms",etc.

--for the types of quadrilaterals, I drew all different types of quads on the board. Then on the floor, I taped the names we'd been discussing (trapezoid, rhombus, etc). I played music and the kids walked around almost like a "cake walk". When the music stopped, they were given a picture on the board and they had to raise their hand if the classification they were standing on was correct for that drawing. It was so much fun.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 23, 2009

Great ideas above.

When you study solid figures (space figures), see if you can find a set of figures that can open to show the nets. My kids love them.

Another fun thing is to write riddles and have the students guess what figures they are. Ex: I am a quadrilateral and have one pair of parallel sides and no right angles. What figure am I ? (trapezoid)