Geometry Projects

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by TxMaThTeAcHeR, Nov 21, 2010.

1. TxMaThTeAcHeR

TxMaThTeAcHeR Rookie

Nov 21, 2010

Hi Guys!
    I'm just looking to see if anyone has any good geometry projects.. we have been talking about angle pairs and transversals - alternate int/ext, ect. Anyone know any good projects that could take up the two days before thanksgiving break?!
    Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2010

We did something with fractals when I was in geometry. I don't remember all the specifics, but it was pretty neat. We also studying spherical geometry.

You could look into something with pool...so many angles to work with in this game.

4. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 23, 2010

For general geometry, I distinctly remember as a kid going around confirming pi with as many circles as you could find- clocks, Coke cans, basketballs and hoops, man hole covers....

Angle pairs and transversals makes me think of the road map of Washington D.C. Perhaps kids can analyze that map for congruent angles, then design their own city map that meets your requirements...

In physics, angle of incidence equals angle of refraction for both reflected light and bounced balls (shine a light straight at a mirror and it shines straight back, or in at a 45 degree angle it will go out at a 45 degree angle.) Maybe do some experiments, make some periscopes for peering around corners...

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 23, 2010

This may be too elementary, but a workshop I went to recently had some awesome middle school projects where they did Mardi Gras floats for a geometry project. (Shoebox floats)