Geometry in Middle School

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Charger, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Charger

Charger Companion

Jul 25, 2011

How many of you middle school math teachers are teaching a high school geometry class in your school now?

I teach at a Catholic school. Our public middle school started last year and I saw another Catholic school post a job for a middle school math teacher. I would have loved to teach there (it would cut 25 min off my drive), but you had to be certified to teach geometry. That made me wonder if there is now a big push to teach geometry in middle school, in addition to algebra.

3. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jul 25, 2011

I'm not familiar with Indiana's certification because in NY math certification is just Math grades 7-12 or math grades 5-9. ..there isn't a separation for individual math disciplines as there would be for Science.

as far as I know, geometry is usually not taught in middle school...it is taught at the 10th or 9th grade level depending on when the student took algebra 1.

the standard sequencing is algebra 1 , geometry, algebra 2/trig, pre-calc.

My school does the sequence as follows: algebra 1, algebra 2, geometry, precalc/trig.

neither would have geometry in middle school.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2011

I've only taught one student, EVER, who would have taken a whole year of geometry in 8th grade.

As a Senior, he took Calc II.

I think that the material is far too complicated for the typical 8th grader.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2011

We have one group of 8th graders that takes geometry each year.

6. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Jul 25, 2011

My district used to do it, but stopped about 4 years ago. It's now a 9th grade class if the student is honors or 10th if they're academic.

7. Picabo

Picabo Rookie

Jul 25, 2011

Where I live, but don't teach, junior high is 7th-9th. 8th graders frequently take geometry and then take Alg. 2 Trig. in 9th.

My older daughter just finished 9th grade (took geometry), and said that there was an 8th grader in her best friend's Alg. 2 Trig. class. This student will go to the high school next year for math! Obviously not the norm...

8. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 25, 2011

There are some schools in our district that teach Geometry to 8th graders.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2011

I simply cannot see my 13 year old son doing geometric proofs, or using trig to find the area of a regular octagon.

10. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

We had two full classes of geometry last year for our 8th graders. Our kids did amazingly well with many outscoring the 10th graders. Every one of our AVID kids that took it passed the proficiency exam at the end of the course.

And yes, they did proofs!

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

My boyfriend's middle school used to send kids up to the high school to take Geometry in 8th grade. It was him and maybe 4 or 5 others when he was in 8th grade. I don't know if they still do that or not.

12. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jul 26, 2011

i don't have a son, but i agree....i don't see any 12-13 year old doing proofs...are you all sure you're talking about high school level geometry? and not an elementary level geometry?

in all these schools 8th graders are taking geometry, soooo what do they take in high school? algebra 2 in 9th, pre-calc in 10th and then 11th calc?

13. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2011

Our kids took the exact same course as the high schoolers. Same book, same tests, same homework - that was the deal. If the high school was going to accept it that was the requirement.

Having taught Geometry in Summer School 3 times for high school I can assure you the course my 8th graders took was exactly the same one. Theorems and postulates don't change. Chapter 2 is still killer because it introduces proofs and second semester is much easier than the first.

And yes, the high school path for them will be Alg 2, pre-calc, AP stats or AP Calc with the other AP (or Calc A/B) in 12th. And I don't work in a high economic area either - quite the opposite in fact. Our college going population is less than half of the state average.

14. Charger

Charger Companion

Jul 27, 2011

Our public middle school does offer high school level geometry. I'm not sure about the other catholic elem/ms school that I mentioned.

I am the only ms math teacher in my building and we offer 6-8 math and algebra. We've started advancing 5th graders and kids in 6 and 7 who could advance. Our local Catholic high school almost never lets our kids skip algebra in 9th grade, even if they score extremely high on the End of Course Assessment that algebra students have to take in Indiana.However, our public high school lets them move onto geometry or algebra II if they score well.

Thanks for the feedback. I've never heard of hs geometry in middle school until this year. It sure doesn't leave a lot of math to take in high school.

15. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 27, 2011

My daughter took Geometry in middle school. It was only offered to select students. It was Honors Geometry, taken with high school students in their classroom. She earned an A.

It has become an issue for her now due to the number of math classes she has had available. There is noly one class option for her this senior year and it requires her to start school an hour and half earlier in the day. Due to her band requirements that means she will be at school from 7am to 7pm everyday except Friday. On Friday she will be there from 7am to 11pm.

I wish we had not done it, frankly.

16. Picabo

Picabo Rookie

Jul 27, 2011

Yes, geometry for the district my children attend is high school level-even if it's taken in junior high.

Junior high is 7th-9th for us, so students who have taken geometry in 8th take Alg. 2 Trig. in 9th, Intro to Analysis in 10th, Calculus AB/AP in 11th, and Calculus BC/AP in 12th. AP statistics may be taken at some point instead of calculus depending on the math path chosen.