Geometry: Constructions

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Mathemagician, May 24, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 24, 2012

Geometry teachers--I found out that the school where I will be working next year is putting a new emphasis on constructions for the first time next year. Do you spend a lot of time on constructions? If so, how do the kids do with it? What are the most useful ones you do, and do you put them on tests? Thanks!

I found this site which has a lot of constructions: http://www.mathopenref.com/constructions.html

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 24, 2012

Honestly, the're not part of our syllabus.

But, thinking way back to when they were, I think most of the emphasis was with the most basic ones:

Bisecting a line segment
    Bisecting an angle
    Constructing a line perpendicular to a line (from a point on, or not on, the given line.)

When I did cover them, yes, they were on tests. I told the kids I wanted to see where the point had been, and the marks made by the pencil.

To be honest, I'm not exactly unhappy that we don't give our sophomore boys those pointy compasses!!!

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 24, 2012

Thanks! I see that they are part of the Common Core...not sure how I feel about them though. I swear I've heard of some schools that don't allow compasses for safety reasons. It should be interesting at least.

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 24, 2012

I'm teaching geometry for the first time next year. We're not teaching them. My department head doesn't think that constructions are too important.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 24, 2012

For us, that's more of a perk than a real reason. We honestly think the time could be better spent. And, as a private school, we have the freedom to make that call.

7. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

May 24, 2012

I love constructions. I do a project with them every year, and still finish the rest of the curriculum. When I first started doing this project (way back in 1981!!) I loved it because it connected the kids with mechanical drafting. Now I love it because they do so little with their hands now because drafting done is mostly if not all on computers, and this hands-on experience connects them to a physical and historical "reality." It also gives the kids who are hands-on oriented a chance to shine.

8. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 24, 2012

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 24, 2012

Would you mind sharing your project with me either on here or thru pm/email? I'm trying to collect as many awesome resources as I can this summer.

10. funnyface07

funnyface07 Rookie

May 30, 2012

I like constructions, but don't use them all the time. Sometimes I feel like including them, to switch up my lessons from just being notes all the time, so they are physically drawing or making something. I really do feel it is important for them to read a sentence, understand the vocabulary, and basically create or draw whatever it is thats described - as challenging as it may be for some of them. My supervisor has walked in several times on my students doing constructions, and that was one of the BIGGEST things that she praised me on - but every math department is different.

I've done them for polygons and circles units, however, I have decided that I will never again let them use compasses! No one got hurt or anything, but freshman and sophomores simply CANNOT handle them.:rolleyes: