Geography Projects

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Jul 29, 2010.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

I would like any ideas for introducing geography to my social studies class. I normally do a poem/song on the continents to help them remember them, but I want something else to do with them.

My coworker was telling me about a project she is going to do, but asked me not to do it because it was her idea and next year she wont be able to use the same idea any more if they alredy did the project with me.

So since I cant do it, I will share her idea :D ...She plans to have the kids make piñatas. In case you dont know its what kids break at partys. It is messy but fun. She is going to blow up balloons and you cut up strips of newspapers and dip them in water mixed with flour and leave it to harden. The next day you pop the balloon and your mold should have made, then the kids can decorate them.

I am honestly very jelaous of her creative self haha, its a great idea, but now i cant use it...she probably wont do it, but i cant go over her and do it anyway its not right.

After venting, im ready to ask...any ideas? :dizzy:

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2010

We've done the same thing with balloons and then did papier mache over the top and let it dry. After that dries, then pop the balloon, paint the papier mache blue, and the kids made "continents" out of construction paper to put on the "water" and made their own globes.

I did it with K's but you could do it with any age. My kids always knew the continents when we did thaqt.

4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

yeah it is a great activity...my problem is that a coworker plans to do it in her class and she asked me not to do it in mine ...so i wanted other ideas.

I did research last night and i found that most teachers did the paper mache.

Thanks, any other ideas out there?

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

Guess I am not getting what the pinatas have to do with geography??

Lots of great geography projects
    *assign each student a state, the student must create a presentation (PP, brochure) for the tourist board to encourage tourism in that state
    *each student creates a shoebox diaorma of the history of the state
    *plan a trip across America - with a partner, each group must plan a trip to visit 5 states, visit 5 captials, 5 physical features, cross three rivers, visit 5 historical landmarks, and anything else you wish to had
    *create a new state flag to incoporate history and facts about the state
    *on a poster, complete an acrostic of a state to include a picture for each word
    *create relief maps of a state, map of physical features
    *create a mobile of a state

These are just a few . . . I've got lots more :)

Hope this helps or at least gets your own creative juices going

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2010

Oh, okay....

One of the things I do with my kids as well is to have them make their own out of paper. We cut out the continents again (like we did with the globes) and they draw the two hemispheres of the earth and put the continents where they need to be.

If you do a search on Montessori continent work you'll come up with some great ideas of what to do to help kids learn the names of the continents.

Here's a good one for the upper grades:

http://www.polestarmontessori.com/Continent_Pin_Map.html

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2010

8. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

The pinatas (paper mache) are globes that each student would decorate individually. They would then be able to label them, since its hands on it would teach them the continents, difference of land and water, etc.

your ideas are awesome, i have my wheels turning in my head lol thanks :thumb:

9. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

Thanks. I wasn't too familiar with the montessori teachings until this summer. A teacher showed me how she would do a similar lesson, but hers was very interesting. Since then i have been researching montessori teachings, it helps. Thanks again. :D

10. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

Got to thinking of a hands on project we do in Science with Edible Cells, and wondered if there could be Edible Maps. There are! :) Below are a couple of sites, but you can do a search to get lots more and find the one that is just right for you. :)

It could be a project done at home to foster parent involvement...that is what I do with the edible cells. I give them ideas of what they can use, the maximum and minimum size requirements, and what has to be included and labeled. How exactly they put together their cell is up to the student and his family. It has been a big success. The kids are really excited by it and really know their cell parts when done. On the morning they bring them to class, we invite several other classes and our administration to stop by and walk around. My students "explain" their cell to each person who stops by their desk. :)

http://www.lessonplanspage.com/SSArtEdiblePhysicalAndDirectionalStateGeography25.htm
    http://www.educationworld.com/a_tsl/archives/02-1/lesson011.shtml

This is a "Oldie, but a Goodie"...Salt Dough Maps
    http://www.squidoo.com/salt-dough-maps

And a really cool project that I do every year is Journey North's Mystery Class. You can adapt it to fit your goals, but it really does teach latitude, longitude, seasons, Earth's rotations, time zones, geography, cultures, problem solving, math, computer search skills...it is really great and the kids get so excited.

There are 10 mystery classes each year, and you form groups of students and assign them each a Mystery Class. You start out by graphing the Photo Periods of the area you live in and each of the Mystery Classes. These photo periods are used to determine the latitude and longitude of each Mystery Class. Then, you are given geographical, historical, and cultural clues of each class which help you narrow down your search. At the end, each group makes a guess as to where they think their Mystery Class is located. I have them make a poster on which they "prove" their case and present it to the class. Once the Mystery Classes are revealed, you are given email addresses for the classes and you can contact them. It is an amazing experience. :)

If you should decide to give Mystery Class a try, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have....it is a bit overwhelming at first, but so worth it! There is A LOT of learning that takes place...for the students AND their teacher!! :)
    http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/mclass/How.html