Geography for preschool

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by gospelcharlie@h, Jul 29, 2006.

1. gospelcharlie@h

gospelcharlie@h Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

I need some fresh ideas about how to introduce geography to my 4 & 5 year olds. I really want them to enjoy it.

Thanks,
    gospelcharlie

3. JaZMum

JaZMum Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

A great idea, but may take too much planning. Find a small stuffed toy,( an animal or teddy bear.) Send it to other schools in different countries, have them take photos of the toy and send them back with a postcard. Would be happy for you to send something over to our Kindy. We could take photos and send them back via Email. Could then pass on the toy to another country.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2006

I'm in way over my head here-- I teach HS math. But here goes anyway!

Why not start with local geography? Draw a basic map of your town-- where school is, where CVS is, where the post office is. Start by talking about basic directions-- how would you get from CVS to the Post ofiice type stuff. I think you could have lots of fun with basic mapping.

From there you can talk about villages, cities, states, nations and the world if you want. If you have access to one, a globe would be a huge help.

My son is adopted from Korea. From the time he was very little (he's 8 now), he has understood that when it's day in NY it's night in Korea, and he's always been fascinated by the idea. We have shown him on the globe how Korea and NY are pretty much on opposite sides of the globe, so they can't both be in sunshine at the same time. (To make things easy, we always assume there's a 12 hour time difference. We can fine tune that down the road.)

Another great resource is the PBS show "Travels with Buster." It's a spin-off of the Arthur series by Marc Brown. They follow Arthur's best friend (Buster) as he travels the world with his pilot dad. He brings a video camera and shows us all the friends he has made and all the cool customs he has seen. It's very kid oriented and probably would be a wonderful starting place. Even if you don't have access to it in class, I bet that you watching a few episodes would be a huge help!

5. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

I also teach 4 & 5 year olds. Our campus has three buildings. We learn the geography of our school so we can get to the nurse, office, older siblings room. Then we expand out to the playground and talk about how the "toys" are spread out. Can't all be on top of each other or it wouldn't work. They can understand how houses have to be spread out as well. Favorite restaurants in other towns helps make short distance connections. We do use our globe and talk about how homes/schools would be similar no matter where we live. Foreign languages haven't been a concept I've been able to get them to understand very well. We're not a very diverse group and they have only been exposed to Spanish and English speakers. Our Kindergarten classes mail Flat Stanley's. As they return they are plotted on a world map. I do like the Buster idea expressed earlier. That might be fun for me to do this next year.

6. gospelcharlie@h

gospelcharlie@h Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

Thanks very much to all, I will start to put these ideas on paper and try them out on the children. My students are only exposed to Spanish and English. But we can still explore the other side of the world.

Also one other question..I would like to know how you obtain the pictures next to your name. Tina007 the ladybug is cute.
    Thank You Very Much

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2006

How about a United States unit, or a country unit from where you are from? Do a postcard exchange. My kiddos loved our postcard exchange when we did ours. Whenever we got a new postcard we would put a star on the state where it came from on a map.

8. Cricket

Cricket Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

There are some really neat books out there about cultures from around the world. Both of my sons were adopted from Korea and we have a book called "Throw Your Tooth on the Roof." It tells about what children in various countries do when they lose their tooth. My son lost his first the other day and I asked him if he would like to put it under his pillow for the tooth fairy or if he would like to just throw it on the roof. He looked at me like I was insane; money wins out every time.

9. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 1, 2006

I use an animal-based phonemic curriculum (Zoo-phonics) and extend it to both science and geography. The children learn about each animal including its attributes and where it is found in the world. We mark it on a world map. This gives geography some relevance to them

10. gospelcharlie@h

gospelcharlie@h Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

geography

The phonemic curriculum(zoo) is interesting for the children.. My local library has a wonderful program where the community donates their unwanted books. The library sells the books for a very low price. Many teachers in our buy books for little or nothing. I just so happened to find a book on the animals around the world with a world map. thanks for your idea.
    gospelcharlie

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 1, 2006

My classroom is directly across the street from the public library. I try to visit it weekly to purchase discarded books (25 to 50 cents each). A friend of mine visits the libraries at surrounding cities. Its a great way to build up the classroom library.

12. gospelcharlie@h

gospelcharlie@h Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

library books

Our library is Friends of the Corona Public Library. My personal library has grown due to this great program. Plus the money helps other programs in our community. A person told me that her friend purchased a book from a book store for $100.00.Her friend went to the library and found that same book for $5.00. Of course she took the book back to the store. i am very grateful for our library..I join this program every year. Every first Sat. the books are half price.
    Keep supporting the library. Also the librarian comes to my class twice a month to read to the kids,plus she gave them a free new book.First Five helps to support that program.
    Thanks,
    twice

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 1, 2006

What a great idea having the librarian come in! Our library offers a Pre-K reading program weekly. It starts as my morning session ends. It's hard from the children to get there on time. Aside from our library selling discards, we also have a Friends of the Library. The books are newer and never cost more than $3.00. Its a great program for the library and the public.

14. gospelcharlie@h

gospelcharlie@h Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

The price of books are about $5.00. In the children's section there are special things that are priced up high. They are games,sets of books etc. There are all kinds of books everyone.I have brought a pile of books and paid $5.oo..the books of course are work lot more if brought in a bookstore.
    Anyway, if you have any more ideas about any subject please contact me. I have been teaching over 20 years and I'm alway looking for fresh ideas or to share some of my ideas.
    gospelcharlie