Geography Box

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by maebowler, Feb 18, 2007.

1. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Feb 18, 2007

I just started teaching 5th grade and was told that I needed to do the geography unit for the third trimester, starting Tuesday. There is no curriculum and the state standards are all met in the Social Studies class, separate from the geography class. What a welcome!

Anyway, I have a book from the last teacher as to a way to teach it. I was thinking of making a box for each area of the United States, starting with the Northeast States (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island). Has anyone done this before? What kind of stuff would you put in it? I have done this is my social studies methods class and my box was for Namibia. I had a map, and other goodies from Africa in it, but NE states, no idea. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you have any other ideas for 5th grade geography that would be helpful as well.

3. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Feb 18, 2007

What about purchasing a photocopiable unit on mapping skills? There are lots out there for the 5-8 level, and map reading is certainly a useful skill.